1 ... 845 846 847 848 849 ... 1926
EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/8/18 7:36 p.m.

All the water was sold out at the grocery store. Not so bad for me since I drink from the tap, but well water is hard on kitties who are prone to UTIs. I usually buy 3 gallons of distilled water once a week for them. Looks like I'll have to hit a few more stores tomorrow to see what I can flush out.

I may have to build a still. If I do, that will go in the minor win thread. cheeky

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/8/18 7:48 p.m.

Be sure to get milk, eggs and bread. Storms hate French Toast.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/8/18 7:53 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

I may have to build a still. If I do, that will go in the minor win thread. cheeky

Maybe birth a race car series to replace WW NASCAR?

What ya' runnin' under that thing? wink

EastCoastMojo
9/8/18 7:54 p.m.

Lol, for us I usually go for steaks and beer. Seems to work equally well at repelling storms and making me care less about their pending arival.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/8/18 8:09 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

You have a dehumidifier don't you? It's output is distilled water. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/18 8:19 p.m.

I was supposed to launch by sailboat this week.. for the first time in 30+ years she was going to be in the water. It's supposed to rain and storm all week

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
9/8/18 9:18 p.m.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
9/8/18 11:33 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

I've found that when regular packs of bottled water are gone, often the "water cooler" 5 gal jugs are barely touched. Just a thought. 

EastCoastMojo
9/9/18 6:38 a.m.

In reply to Greg Smith :

This store only has spring water in 5 gal jugs, and it's the minerals that I'm trying to avoid. Thanks though, good thought! yes

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/9/18 10:41 a.m.

Florence. Ugh. I am scheduled to fly to MN this week and then back right about the time Florence could be here. I did most of the usual stuff outside this morning, like put away anything that I don't want to blow away. I guess I can't move my trip to next week, so I guess I may need to move it up and try to go early and get back while the getting back still works.

Now it's a game of chicken because at some point the airlines will allow you to change flights and waive the $200 fee if the storm does head this way. I guess I will wait and see if they do that tomorrow and maybe fly Tuesday and Wednesday instead of Wednesday and Thursday.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/18 2:12 p.m.

Trans needs to come back out, again, and I am thoroughly fatigued and demotivated.  What should the the simple task of "keep fluid inside" is apparently really difficult.  That or I am missing something very basic.

Back out to get cold and rained on again...

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
9/9/18 4:07 p.m.

Bought the Ames DM1000 multimeter from HF specifically for the temp probe. It worked once right oughta the box then went wonky. No, my freezer is not 81° F.

But somehow I knew this. 

No exchange, refund please.

POS

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
9/9/18 7:37 p.m.

Damn. My boat lift broke today. I knew it was a matter of time. Something to do with steel and salt water. The only good news is that when it failed, it did not result in a catasrophe and the boat did not fall and land on its side in the water and sink.

I have a plan involving a couple chain hoists to get it off the broken lift, but that will have to wait until after the hurricane at this point.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/18 11:53 p.m.

Uncle sheepdog is at it again. I don’t need to like your silly song to prove I haven’t forgotten, I have the nightmares and sinus problems I picked up while you were hiding under your bed. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/10/18 9:08 a.m.

I have so many things that need to be done on so many different fronts that I don't know where to start. And almost zero motivation to work on any of them.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/10/18 9:20 a.m.

The upcoming hurricane has cancelled my beach trip.

Dammit. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/18 10:40 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

3rd dead computer via mainboard failure in 3 months now (first the home server, then a spare computer that could've replaced the home server, now a dedicated HTPC), just awesome...bank still hasn't put back the money that was re-stolen from a scraped card they forgot to deactivate back in early July so I have to make an epic trek in a car with 650lb/in springs, no AC, an eyeballed alignment, and what sounds like a dying camber plate spherical bearing at lunch today because they can't even tell me what the hell is going on outside of the branch where I filed the paperwork. My phone numbers are on my copy of the dispute form so I know they have them. Why not give me a call on one of those to update me, at least when the 45 days this was supposed to take passed a couple weeks ago? Do they want me to change banks? They're lucky that so many of the other banks around here are even more full of incompetent asshats.

Edit: Oh I forgot the actual first dead one of four, the laptop being used as a server at my grandmother's house in Ontario. Died right after I left, within a month of having a new hard drive put in it.

Update: Another dead computer, one of the refurbished replacement mobos I ordered shows zero signs of life other than the "I have power!" LED lighting up on the mainboard when the PSU has power. And it came with a bent CPU socket pin which I had to expertly unbend first. No returns on it. About $100US down the drain there, plus another $100US I'm spending on a CPU+mobo combo to replace it.

Oh and the bank is still berkeleying around.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/10/18 12:19 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

I feel your pain, sometimes you just can't win for losing.

wae
wae SuperDork
9/10/18 12:37 p.m.

The Mercedes started making a nasty ticking sound over the weekend.  Could be a stretched timing chain, bad injector, spun bearing, collapsed lifter, something in the serpentine belt system, or an exhaust leak.  I fear it's going to be on the expensive side of things.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/18 1:15 p.m.

since we've got an Odyssey and will be keeping my E60 in the family, my next DD can be a 2-seater.   Base-model C6 is at top of list for my price range (max $20k), but just for grins I checked prices on 911's.   Hot damn, i can get a Carrera4 with under 100k, just need to call my insurance agent and

HOLY berkeleyING E36 M3 GET RAPED BY THE REANIMATED CORPSE OF JOHN HOLMES HIMSELF!

baseline:  Ody with Broad Form Collision plus E60 with PLPD = $280 per month.   because Michigan.

option 1:  Add C6 coupe with Broad Form Collision to baseline:  delta $+140/month

or

option 2:  Add 911 Carrera4 with Broad Form Collision to baseline:   delta $+390/month.   that's with the 911 *in place of* the C6, not *in addition to* the C6, in case you were wondering.   Yes, i asked.

then, i said perhaps the most first-world thing i will ever say in my life:  "Dang, i guess i'm stuck with the C6."

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/18 3:25 p.m.

So you are the designated owner of a piece of hardware, you aren't technical, but you do own it.  So when I send you an email saying that there is something wrong and that you need to open a ticket to get it fixed, I'm not saying you need to do anything more than that.

Opening a ticket is as easy as writing an email.

Instead you send me an email with excuses, accusations and ignorance about what to do with the email.

I have 15000 pieces of equipment to manage, we just tried to repair the 600 or so that were acting up over the weekend, there are now about 300 that aren't in good shape.  We're a team of six.  You're a single person with a single piece of equipment to manage.  Either do your job or hand the responsibility to someone else who can.

RevRico
9/10/18 6:00 p.m.

I wish more rednecks used the internet. Trying to find a proper recipe and keep getting pointed at all these yuppies using those stupid cheatery pellet smokers. "Push the extra button and set your smoke flavour level" is not a useful instruction. 200F for 6 hours is, 225 for 4 hours is, "light smoke" is not. Sorry, I know how to maintain a fire with real wood, pellets are for heating the house, and buttons are for playing music or videogames. I'm not usually against experimenting, but seeing 2 posts on different forums that say 225 for 6 hours and 250 for 18 hours for the same cut of meat is a Hell of a range, and this pork wasn't exactly cheap. 

Granted, I go by internal temperature anyway, it would still be nice to know if I need to start at noon or midnight. 

daeman
daeman Dork
9/10/18 6:18 p.m.

Rev,

At 225, about 1.5hr/lb

At 250, about 1hr/lb

Allow an extra 2 or so hours at the back end of cooking time in case your internal temperature isn't quite where you want it. You can always turn the heat down at the back end of cooking if need be and meat Love's some resting time.

RevRico
9/10/18 6:42 p.m.

In reply to daeman :

I agree, and that's my usual guideline for butts, hams, briskets, other big meaty cuts. 

But I'm doing small bony cuts this time, head, hocks, trotters, "scrap" pieces basically, I know bone plays into the equation, I'm just not sure how much. I've seen one guy do the whole head at 225 for 6, ending at 165. The other guy did 250 for 18 shooting for an IT of 200, and he called it done at 175 after that long time. Everyone else uses an oven, or splits them onto their pellet smoker. I'm sure if I dug hard enough I could find the math to figure out meat vs bone weight in a pig head, but it would be much easier to find a good ol boy that does it every year and ask them. 

Hocks and trotters fall into shoulder times at least, from what I've been seeing, about 6 hours. 

I'm already a bit anxious about curing and smoking the whole hams later in the month but that's more because I've never used a brine before for anything. I think it's spilling over onto the head because it's another first for me, and I only have one head to cook. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/18 7:09 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

since we've got an Odyssey and will be keeping my E60 in the family, my next DD can be a 2-seater.   Base-model C6 is at top of list for my price range (max $20k), but just for grins I checked prices on 911's.   Hot damn, i can get a Carrera4 with under 100k, just need to call my insurance agent and

HOLY berkeleyING E36 M3 GET RAPED BY THE REANIMATED CORPSE OF JOHN HOLMES HIMSELF!

baseline:  Ody with Broad Form Collision plus E60 with PLPD = $280 per month.   because Michigan.

option 1:  Add C6 coupe with Broad Form Collision to baseline:  delta $+140/month

or

option 2:  Add 911 Carrera4 with Broad Form Collision to baseline:   delta $+390/month.   that's with the 911 *in place of* the C6, not *in addition to* the C6, in case you were wondering.   Yes, i asked.

then, i said perhaps the most first-world thing i will ever say in my life:  "Dang, i guess i'm stuck with the C6."

I went through that with my Abarth. it was basically more than doubling my insurance. I dropped State Farm like a hot potato and went with New Jersey Manufacturers.

1 ... 845 846 847 848 849 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xm35GvNrzjdOs257OcFmg75DiURKW7KEPLaAQEgfYldMQunBWDgoKBYOWJhRNiYW