1 ... 868 869 870 871 872 ... 1926
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/5/18 8:07 a.m.

The docs just put me in quarantine until they rule out tuberculosis. Yay. 

Guess im driving a desk from the shop. So i should get car wirk done!

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/5/18 8:50 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Once again I get sucked into a "money" thread. There's always someone who posts "you haven't been saving since you were 5, you're dumb" type comments that make me feel inferior. I fall for it every time. 

I understand why poor people spend money on crap. There is no saving for the future, because there is no future, there is only right now. Tomorrow never comes.  

I'm sorry for making you feel bad; that certainly wasn't (and never is) my intent. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't start saving until my 30s. Earlier than that, I spent all I made and had some credit card debt - not much, but some. Maybe that's why I'm preachy, like a born again evangelical or a recently converted vegan. If you want to talk about it we could move it to email, I think there's a way out of any financial hole but it is probably better spent away from the public posts where ego tends to get more involved.

I also hope you can see that once it's written down "Tomorrow never comes" is clearly a mental trap. Today is yesterday's tomorrow.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
11/5/18 10:56 a.m.

Noticed a new puddle of fluid under the Suburban.  Apparently the left rear shock absorber decided to puke it's guts out.  Doesn't seem to ride any differently though and I don't tow with it much, it may wait till spring....

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/5/18 11:06 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

That was more of a mental exercise. Catharsis. And I know not one bit of it was directed at me. Sometimes I get wrapped up in my own bullE36 M3 I see things that aren't actually there. 

It's just me being a whiny little bitch. No worries. We cool?

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/5/18 11:20 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Sure, we've always been cool!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/5/18 11:52 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Have you tried grits? For the ants I mean. Ants eat the grits and once ingested they either explode or die constipated.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/5/18 12:02 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

Have you tried grits? For the ants I mean. Ants eat the grits and once ingested they either explode or die constipated.

I need to try this on the fire ants next year. Is it something you can watch happen to the little bastards? 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
11/5/18 12:09 p.m.

Wife's Saturn has developed a shake in the rear under heavy braking. Pretty sure it's actually rear shocks at this point but I'm really tired of fixing a car that is realistically only going to sell for about 1k. It only has too last until after Christmas damn it 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/5/18 12:10 p.m.

There's really only one time a year that I really have an interest in reading anything on our local newspaper's site- right before an election, since they do a pretty good job of interviewing and getting policy positions from all the candidates (most notably from those local ones who don't have commercials that make of 2/3 of every commercial break on TV and radio). So, I go this morning to pull up their page- and get a paywall screen.

Look- I understand, it costs money to do actual reporting, and I support their ability to charge people for content. BUT- this is one thing where I think they should be making an exception and making the info available to everyone.

Ashyukun (Robert)
11/5/18 12:15 p.m.
dropstep said:

Wife's Saturn has developed a shake in the rear under heavy braking. Pretty sure it's actually rear shocks at this point but I'm really tired of fixing a car that is realistically only going to sell for about 1k. It only has too last until after Christmas damn it 

I'm in the same boat with the Dancer's Mariner- it's been making noises that worried her and when I listened the last time I drove it and did some pushing on the bumpers I'm convinced that at last the driver's front strut is shot. Replacing both front ones with the cheapest option is about $150, but we only intend to keep it until the cabin is done and the financing done and we don't have to worry about a car loan potentially screwing with the mortgage rate, so we're likely to just ignore it.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/5/18 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Try the League of Women Voters; they put out a guide for many areas that is widely respected and considered nonpartisan.

Ashyukun (Robert)
11/5/18 12:54 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Thanks! Unfortunately pretty much all of the candidates in the races I'm curious about didn't respond to them... -_-

Did manage to find another site for my state thanks to an activist friend that has some good info on the local races that I'm more interested in getting info on.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/5/18 1:31 p.m.

We're using an expensive and powerful 3-D modeling program.  So berking MODEL whatever it is instead of using the electronic crayons to fake it into all the different views.  That's the WHOLE REASON we made this big investment in time and money - so E36 M3 didn't get inconsistently half-assed into the projects, and so it would include live changes as the design developed.

And if you don't know how to use the tools, berking learn.  You've had long enough.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/5/18 7:50 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

Inside ants get a diet of dissolved Borax and whatever they like to eat. We used to do well with just sugar to sweeten it but this latest group doesn't give a damn about sweets and I've had to go to peanut butter to get the fat that they seem to like to eat. It works, but much more slowly than killing the sugar ants. I just added grits to the top of the current bait on your advice. Anything that stops them up faster is good in my book. Thanks. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/5/18 8:09 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Grits won't work in fire ants, apparently the workers can't eat solid food. 

wae
wae SuperDork
11/5/18 8:29 p.m.

I need to get the brake controller and the 7-pin plug installed on the emergency backup truck. But I have to walk about 15 feet out in the rain to pull the truck into the workshop.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/6/18 9:47 a.m.

I have a boatload of work to do this week, and my CAD computer went into a self-induced coma overnight. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
11/6/18 9:59 a.m.

We've had the Dancer's new computer (Mac Mini) for a week and a half now.

It took me about 2 days to get it completely updated (didn't come with the newest version of OSX, and needed the software she uses installed) and to transfer over the data from her computer and laptop. Once that was done we said, "OK, we'll swap the new one in tomorrow and have the evening for you to learn how things work differently from your Windows computers with me here to help with any issues."

Tomorrow came and she said, "I'm in the middle of something on the computer, can we do this another evening?" When I grumbled about it she asked what I was upset about and I said bluntly, "Because you're ALWAYS in the middle of something and I expect you're not going to make the effort to NOT start something new on the computer that you can't save and start up on the new computer, and you're going to continue to complain about how much of a problem the old laptop and computer are and how long it takes to do anything while the new computer we just spent $600 on sits there completely unused."

And for better or worse, saying 'I told you so.' wouldn't be a wise move (at least when I do it, it seems...).

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/6/18 10:37 a.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

either explode or die constipated.

Reminds me of this time I ate at a truckstop somewhere in central Nebraska ....

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
11/6/18 3:40 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

I'm mixed on the "sharpie" thing. Whiteboard marker could come off by accident; Sharpie will come off with alcohol wipes. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
11/6/18 4:00 p.m.

My trip to Tail Of The Dragon was on track to be the cheapest ever. Until it wasn't.

I left from NY Wednesday night, stopped at a friend's place in Alexandria, VA and crashed there. Woke up the next morning, drove to NC, stayed at a free campground with my friends. We cooked out and saved money instead of eating out. And then my Miata's 5-speed blew the berkeley up. So then I had to rent a U-Haul truck and trailer ($300) and had to fill that up 3 times on the way home at $80 a fill each time. Also, didn't want to try and maneuver that through VA, so had to get a hotel room. And because I was passing a Miata dismantler and had a big empty box van, I decided to pick up a new transmission, a 6-speed at $750. SIGH.

To make the 6-speed work right, I'm going to need to get a 3.63:1 ring & pinion and pay to get that installed. Likely going to need a new clutch/flywheel, because it started slipping before the trans exploded (likely due to the trans going away). There goes my money for mad coilovers.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
11/6/18 8:35 p.m.
dropstep said:

Might help it rotate.  FWD needs all the help it can get. laugh

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/7/18 8:55 a.m.

My right side just won't quit hurting. Its starting to make me grumpy. (We know what is causing it, and figuring out how to fix it)

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/7/18 8:59 a.m.

Coming up on 4 days now with this headache. I'm starting to consider drilling a vent hole behind my right eye to let off some of the pressure. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
11/7/18 9:35 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Dude, that sucks.  Sorry you had such a sucky trip.  If you have a minute to wait deals can be had  on some of your parts (i bought a FM happy meal flywheel and clutch from another autocrosser two years ago for half price when he went to an engine swap).  Swapping out a whole diff carrier is far easier than messing with R&P gears, keep an eye out and you'll find something good.  3.9 setups shouldn't cost you too much.  Good luck.

1 ... 868 869 870 871 872 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k7pGR5aQpIwFXcaNPBeHxnQo1eo4TrYT9C1eSw68GrUdqdoZxxMkw0najzCH2mhn