EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/16/18 10:12 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Very sorry to hear. RIP Jim.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/17/18 11:40 a.m.

Holy crap, have you ever tried to buy clothes for a woman? Dana surprised me yesterday mentioning she needed to go out early next week to pick up my xmas present. What xmas present? But in the same breath, she also mentioned being down to one bra and wanting a few other things. Well that's a hint if I ever heard it. 

So I got her sizes, then I went shopping online, and realized womens clothing is getting even more bizarre. On top of the seemingly arbitrary numbers assigned to everything like pants and shirts and undies, it seems every store and brand has their own version of arbitrary numbers. 

I took the shotgun approach, and got a few things of each size that I deciphered to be closest to the sizes she gave me. I suspect this will fail on me. 

But then I tried to buy her a new bra. I understand how bra sizes work, what the numbers and letter mean, and how to get there. What I don't understand AT ALL, and seemingly can't find without ruining the surprise, is how they translate across brands when the companies invent their own sizing. Open up their handy dandy sizing guide, and it's missing a rather important component, the damn cup size. Kind of important in a boob holster I would think. 

No wonder women go crazy about shopping, you have to be insane or a savant to crack these codes and get what you need. 

For example. I'm 5'10 280, I wear 44x30 jeans. Thats 44" around the waist and a 30" inseam. Same across all brands that make that size. A similar sized woman, that would be anywhere from a size 2 and a size 20, depending on the brand, store, or person who puts labels on mood that day. WHY make things so damn difficult?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/17/18 11:44 a.m.
RevRico said:

Holy crap, have you ever tried to buy clothes for a woman? Dana surprised me yesterday mentioning she needed to go out early next week to pick up my xmas present. What xmas present? But in the same breath, she also mentioned being down to one bra and wanting a few other things. Well that's a hint if I ever heard it. 

So I got her sizes, then I went shopping online, and realized womens clothing is getting even more bizarre. On top of the seemingly arbitrary numbers assigned to everything like pants and shirts and undies, it seems every store and brand has their own version of arbitrary numbers. 

I took the shotgun approach, and got a few things of each size that I deciphered to be closest to the sizes she gave me. I suspect this will fail on me. 

But then I tried to buy her a new bra. I understand how bra sizes work, what the numbers and letter mean, and how to get there. What I don't understand AT ALL, and seemingly can't find without ruining the surprise, is how they translate across brands when the companies invent their own sizing. Open up their handy dandy sizing guide, and it's missing a rather important component, the damn cup size. Kind of important in a boob holster I would think. 

No wonder women go crazy about shopping, you have to be insane or a savant to crack these codes and get what you need. 

For example. I'm 5'10 280, I wear 44x30 jeans. Thats 44" around the waist and a 30" inseam. Same across all brands that make that size. A similar sized woman, that would be anywhere from a size 2 and a size 20, depending on the brand, store, or person who puts labels on mood that day. WHY make things so damn difficult?

Go find a swanky underwear store near you, and buy a gift certificate.  Even that will end in tears, but trying to buy clothing, particularly undergarments, for a woman is a fools errand.

IT WILL NOT END WELL!

wae
wae SuperDork
11/17/18 11:48 a.m.

I put my finger somewhere I shouldn't have and now it hurts.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/17/18 12:21 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
RevRico said:

Go find a swanky underwear store near you, and buy a gift certificate.  Even that will end in tears, but trying to buy clothing, particularly undergarments, for a woman is a fools errand.

IT WILL NOT END WELL!

Try finding jeans for a hockey player that (A) fit, and (B) don’t look like clown pants or farmer grandpa pants. Especiallt with short legs. I need a 36-30 (35-29), but half my jeans are 38 or 40 just to get them over my thighs and butt. I love the stretchy jeans that Costco has. Best thing ever. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
11/17/18 3:42 p.m.

I ordered a green bicycle chain for a project and it shipped with a chrome master link. It's a very minor rant, because I have a chain splitter 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/17/18 4:38 p.m.

So, follow-up on the situation with the cabin....

Surprisingly (to me, at least) it seems like things may just work out alright... or at least that's the way they're looking at the moment, at least with regards to the builder situation. We got a text from him that said that we could draw up the agreement and he'd meet with us Friday (yesterday) to discuss and sign it. Since she does all the contracts for her non-profit, the Dancer drew up the document and signed it and I headed out to meet up with him. He was like 20 minutes late, but things went well- he actually admitted that he might have been dragging his feet a bit after all the other delays and that they were going to be pushing ahead as hard as they could to finish. We got a few other things cleared up (questions he needed answered or we had as well), and signed the agreement. We ended up doing the math for how much per day we were projected to have made from renting the cabin and setting the daily penalty for not hitting the deadline at that ($50/day, we rounded down a few bucks). 

SO, in theory things should be moving along... we'll see in a week when we take my family out there. The cabin SHOULD have the roofing at least started and possibly some of the decks done too.

Unfortunately, not everything else has gone the greatest. We got a call from the well digging company (/guy) today that they'd completed the survey, and were not able to find any better than 4-point survey locations on the property- they like to have 8-points because it's almost guaranteed they'll hit water and a good bit of it. They could very well drill and not hit anything- and it will still cost us the same amount as if they did. Unfortunatey, though there is a likelihood we'll get city water in a few years, we have no real choice but to cross our fingers and have them drill.

Things didn't go well car-wise today either. I wanted to rotate the tires on the Infiniti and put on the new rear shocks while the weather was decent. The shocks were a piece of cake- the old ones weren't shot, but definitely not rebounding as quickly as the new ones. The problem came when I pulled off the front right wheel- one of the lugnuts wouldn't come off and I broke the stud trying to get it off. And unfortunately the front hubs on a 4WD QX4/Pathfinder do NOT look like they'll be fun to remove to replace said stud... so for the time being it's going to have to be driven with just 5 of 6 lug nuts holding that wheel on...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/17/18 5:04 p.m.
wae said:

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/17/18 5:33 p.m.

I may just choke some random motherberkeleyer before the holiday season is over for the wY they are driving and behaving in public. 

It may just be stress and nicotine withdrawal on my behalf though.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/17/18 5:51 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Maybe just a little light choking. How's the quitting going?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/17/18 6:03 p.m.

Vape equivalent of 5 cigarettes today.

Vs 2 packs...  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
11/17/18 6:08 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I learned to not buy my wife clothes back in 1985 when we were dating.   

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/17/18 6:27 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

SWMBO and I have been together almost 3 years. I've bought her exactly one t shirt. Women's sizes are like shocks and automatic transmissions: a complete mystery.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/17/18 6:53 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Yeah, I tend to not buy my wife any clothes that she doesn't hasn't told me exactly what she wants. The only thing that is usually reasonably safe is getting her T-shirts I know she'll find amusing, and even then it's a balancing act to not get it too small or too large as both are land mines...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/17/18 7:21 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

In reply to RevRico :

Yeah, I tend to not buy my wife any clothes that she doesn't hasn't told me exactly what she wants. The only thing that is usually reasonably safe is getting her T-shirts I know she'll find amusing, and even then it's a balancing act to not get it too small or too large as both are land mines...

"This is the Kobayashi Maru"

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/17/18 10:21 p.m.

Who the berkeley goes to bed at 9:30? On a Saturday? 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
11/17/18 10:35 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

am or pm?  To paraphrase Darrell Waltrip or a quote about him is that some people might not know there's two 9:30s in a day.  laugh

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
11/17/18 10:41 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

to be honest I'd love to have a wife.  I've got a bunch of cool t-shirts that I'll probably not look good in for too many more years heck I was hoping to have kids that during their rebellious phase would steal them all and think the old man wasn't a complete loser and that hope is receding faster than my hair line so put up with the boob stretch marks on your stuff and be happy. cool Too small is probably a lose win whereas too large is probably a lose lose well it's actually a lose lose. wink devilangel

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
11/17/18 11:56 p.m.

damn they do be poppin' off over here in the hood.  Second time tonight.  This time sounded a little more one sided.  Angry people for real.  Thankfully I'm just enough blocks away. indecision

wae
wae SuperDork
11/18/18 8:43 a.m.
Appleseed said:
wae said:

That's the problem: I do know where it's been.  It's been in contact with the belt drive of the lathe.  That's not a good place for fingers.

And now, on my other hand, I have another injured finger.  I got a blister from a cowbell.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/18/18 8:56 a.m.
wae said:
Appleseed said:
wae said:

That's the problem: I do know where it's been.  It's been in contact with the belt drive of the lathe.  That's not a good place for fingers.

And now, on my other hand, I have another injured finger.  I got a blister from a cowbell.

I can't help myself sometimes.  The GIFS will continue as long as they have to. 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/18/18 1:35 p.m.

Why is it that during the work week the weather is nice but turns to crap on your days off?

It's been in the upper 40s to mid 50s here last week but since I had to work last weekend, I couldn't get some things done I wanted to on my truck.

Now that I have this weekend off, it's been in the mid 30s with a breeze.

Nothing like trying to install a car stereo when you can't feel your fingers and your breath makes the inside of the windows ice over angry

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
11/18/18 3:14 p.m.

I should start an interactive list of local bars and restaurants without televisions. 

Nothing like enjoying a quiet Sunday morning and stopping for a meatball sub but having to change our order to takeout due to the volume of people screaming at a sportsball game on TV.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
11/18/18 4:13 p.m.

Finished the 47 Monark bicycle build today, now I need to find another cheap project bike for winter. 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
11/19/18 3:13 p.m.

Well it was nice while it lasted. Thanks to the continued government ratberkeleyery with the health insurance system my rates for 2019 are nearly double for the same plan my family was on this year. At this rate we'll be back to the old "just don't get sick" health insurance plan like I was on growing up. Or I'll just scale my business back until my income level drops low enough for my kids to qualify for Medicaid.

1 ... 875 876 877 878 879 ... 1928

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9fnymBt1E2f83Rqrlo7nXDZxdZXrOm7Dhz3M6MdXjPZ2Ry4TOouYc6e22rLX2kdr