1 ... 885 886 887 888 889 ... 1926
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/5/18 6:26 p.m.

I ate Applebees tonight. I'm pretty ill now. 

Probably why i haven't been there in 3 years. But i went to support my wife's girlscout troop.....

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/5/18 6:34 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

That's my point. Speedway, where this started from, is finally a competitor for sheets. I've been boycotting sheets since 2006 when I got 4 screwed up orders over 2 days from 3 separate locations. (I wss working on the road, it was sheetz or nothing). Aside from the moldy bagel, everything was better with Speedway. Prices are worlds better, the quality was better, it was quicker. I'll support anyone that isn't Sheetz, and just to have a variety of options in town, I'll probably still support them, but I'll be checking everything before I walk out the door. 

Today's rant: since the last major forum update, my autocorrect has been broken here. If it automatically replaces a word, it splits the words up and tries to merge them. Double tapping to change a word after the fact, like in every other site and app, instead just closes my keyboard. I've been putting up with it, but it seems to be getting progressively worse. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/18 7:16 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to dculberson :

That's my point. Speedway, where this started from, is finally a competitor for sheets. I've been boycotting sheets since 2006 when I got 4 screwed up orders over 2 days from 3 separate locations. (I wss working on the road, it was sheetz or nothing). Aside from the moldy bagel, everything was better with Speedway. Prices are worlds better, the quality was better, it was quicker. I'll support anyone that isn't Sheetz, and just to have a variety of options in town, I'll probably still support them, but I'll be checking everything before I walk out the door. 

Today's rant: since the last major forum update, my autocorrect has been broken here. If it automatically replaces a word, it splits the words up and tries to merge them. Double tapping to change a word after the fact, like in every other site and app, instead just closes my keyboard. I've been putting up with it, but it seems to be getting progressively worse. 

I generally avoid Sheetz because they are very expensive for food.  $4 for a toothpick of a meat bun, and that is the cheapest thing they sell?  No thank you.  I can go to Speedway and get a huge coffee, a burrito, and a couple "BBQ sandwiches" aka budget McRibs for like $6, (actual price:  89 cent coffee, $2.09 El Monterey burrito, sandwiches 2 for $3)  and then I will have lunch AND a pork-like sandwich for a snack the next morning.  Stuff your pockets with BBQ sauce and/or mayonnaise from the roller-food condiments rack for best flavor.  (Flavor for the sandwiches, not your pockets)

(El Monterey is Spanish for "The Galaxie")

Per your second rant, I noticed a strange thing when using this site on my tablet.  I have autocorrect turned off because I hate things that take up screen real estate for no reason, and I am confident in being able to make my own mistakes.  That said, there is something that happens every now and then when posting to this forum on said tablet where I'll hit some combination - I still have no idea what - and it will duplicate the last whole word I entered, in the middle of the word I am currently typing.  It's odd a all heck.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/5/18 9:43 p.m.

You weak, wimpy sissies need stronger guts. 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/5/18 10:45 p.m.

Man this whole "moving 2900 miles in December in 3 weeks" is going to be the death if me. I'm trying to balance cost, convenience and time. Some possible scenarios are:

Sell Jeep. Pull 6x12 Uhaul with F250 with whatever I can fit in truck and trailer.

Cost: ~$2k

Sell Jeep. Sell F250. Rent 26ft Uhaul truck. Take everything I own to Florida. Buy cheap vehicle there.

Cost: ~$3k plus new vehicle

Sell Jeep. Drive F250 to Florida. Hire moving company to move everything.

Cost: $5500-$6500

Sell Jeep. Sell F250. Buy one way plane ticket to Florida. Take some clothes, laptop and phone. Rent car for a couple of days until I can buy another car.

Cost: ~$1k plus new vehicle

So far, I'm liking number 4. It's the cheapest, it's the quickest and I won't have to worry about driving 2900 miles pulling a trailer in December. Sure, I won't have any furniture but I can manage. This assumes that I sell at least the Jeep and I can find a cheapish apartment ahead of time. Then, maybe in the spring, I can figure out how to get the rest of my stuff down there. I'm the most worried about getting down there at this point. Man, moving is stressful indecision.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/6/18 12:26 a.m.

Every part of the dining experience at Costco seems engineered for misery. I’m not sure I could come up with a more uncomfortable eating experience if I tried, at least not without breaking some laws. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
12/6/18 6:33 a.m.

The coffee shop I go to periodically, when I pulled up this morning, had new hours posted:  

7 to 3.

It was 6:45.  I knocked on the door- no answer.

Motherberkeleyer.  What kind of berkeleying coffee sop opens at 7 berkeleying o clock?  This is why the Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts of the world are taking over- because the stupid berkeleys who own the small, independent shops are too berkeleying lazy to open when the average working person is coming through and wants a coffee and a berkeleying Danish.  

Sorry, you deprived me of my weekly treat of good coffee and a scratch-made pastry.  I'm sitting here at work with my Kurig coffee that tastes like ass brewed through newspaper.  Pissed.  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
12/6/18 6:44 a.m.

In reply to stanger_missle :

My son moved from SoCal to Boston with a one month stop in Chicago.  Since he’s single he got rid of his big stuff and drive the rest.   

Until he gets a couch he sits on a folding chair.  

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/6/18 7:35 a.m.

Personally, I'd be leaning towards #1. It allows you to bring a good bit of stuff with, and keep a good vehicle, and worst worst case, probably have enough room to sleep in the truck if needed.

I just wouldn't like the idea of moving and immediately having to find something cheap to buy and drive. Between any odd paperwork for buying a vehicle in a new state, to the time crunch of having to find something quick which could influence you to buy a car that might not be that great of an idea. 

RE: Selling the Jeep. Car Max could be a last minute bail out. Probably not going to get as much as a private party, but if no one bites quickly, my understanding is they could make you an offer pretty quick. 

RE: Trailer. Depending on available cash, and what's on the market, you could also potentially just buy a 20' enclosed car trailer to haul all your stuff with the F250, and then sell it once you're moved in. Might lose some money, but it'd possibly be cheaper then renting, and potentially more spacious. 

(not) WilD (Matt)
(not) WilD (Matt) Dork
12/6/18 7:58 a.m.

If I hold my head upright or, heaven forbid, tilt it back at all, my thumb and index finger go numb.  Dropping my chin to my chest brings them back online. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/6/18 8:05 a.m.

Now both kids aren’t sleeping through the night. I don’t know if I’m going to survive this. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/6/18 8:29 a.m.
dculberson said:

Every part of the dining experience at Costco seems engineered for misery. I’m not sure I could come up with a more uncomfortable eating experience if I tried, at least not without breaking some laws. 

Dude, you don't "dine" at Costco. You grab a hotdog on your way out (pay for it while you're checking out with your groceries/booze/clothes/vacuums/diamondrings/hearing aids), eat it while standing in the line to leave. Probably easier said than done with kids though. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/6/18 8:31 a.m.
dculberson said:

Now both kids aren’t sleeping through the night. I don’t know if I’m going to survive this. 

Ha, I haven't slept through the night in a month. You'll survive. Drink some coffee. Hug your kids. Maybe call some grandparents for reinforcements one night.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
12/6/18 9:14 a.m.
dculberson said:

I empathize.  Our 20 month old son is _still_ teething and, as a result, we're still co-sleeping.  Which is apparently parent-speak for "He sleeps with my wife and I sleep with the dog".

Read into that however you want to.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
12/6/18 9:14 a.m.

#1 Sell Jeep.  Buy three sheets of plywood, a couple of two by fours and build sides on the F250.  Start packing the things you need the most, stop when the truck is full.  Drive south.

Cost, $75.00 plus gas.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/18 9:46 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

#1 Sell Jeep.  Buy three sheets of plywood, a couple of two by fours and build sides on the F250.  Start packing the things you need the most, stop when the truck is full.  Drive south.

Cost, $75.00 plus gas.

i offer a slight variation to #1:

• sell F250.
  • get biggest trailer uhaul will approve for pulling with jeep.
  • soul-search, purge, and pack. put the heavy E36 M3 in the front of the trailer.   too much tongue weight is better than too little.
  • drive to FL.  have jeep in FL.  Win.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
12/6/18 9:54 a.m.

I say #4, but call an estate sale company and tell them you've died.  Let them sell all your E36 M3 and take whatever cut they give you.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/6/18 10:14 a.m.
mtn said:
dculberson said:

Ha, I haven't slept through the night in a month. You'll survive. Drink some coffee. Hug your kids. Maybe call some grandparents for reinforcements one night.

I'm sure not trying to play a game of one upsmanship, but we have an 18 month old that's barely slept through the night in 18 months. So I'm already sleep deprived but we're able to manage, trade off which one handles her, etc. With the recent addition of the 4 year old deciding she "wants cuddles" in the middle of the night I'm falling apart. A few hours of sleep is one thing if it's at least in chunks. An hour here and, two hours later, another hour, and two hours later, another hour really doesn't work for me.

I'd love to call the grandparents but the only local ones - my parents - just went through surgery and will be a few months until she's able to pick up a baby.

More tea, and some stern no-cuddles-in-the-night rules are forthcoming, but the here and now is very, very bad.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
12/6/18 12:32 p.m.

What about option 5.  Rent a car trailer and put Jeep on it.  Tow with F-250.  Load both to capacity and drive to Florida.  Cost shouldn’t be much worse than the regular trailer and you get to keep the Jeep.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
12/6/18 1:40 p.m.

Option 5 is put a tow bar on the Jeep,  add safety chains and a set of magnetic lights, and tow it behind the truck. Total cost $150, plus fuel.

Add another $100 for the 5 sheets of osb, some 2x3s, and the big tarp to cover it all and enclose the back of the truck with a 4' tall box extension for your stuff. Pack the bottom layer with plastic storage totes and then stack your mattress and box spring on top inside uhaul mattress bags. Furniture on top of that in the box. 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
12/6/18 1:47 p.m.

The 5 year old blue heeler/ border collie mix we've had since he was a puppy has decided lately that he wants to be a shiny happy puppy to the rest of the dogs.  He beat up the 16 year old mutt last month, he has been trying to dominate and nip at the 2 year old Corgi, and today he apparently just tried to bite the mailman. He can be such a sweet dog, but he is seriously making my life more difficult and I am at the end of my patience. 

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
12/6/18 2:16 p.m.

98% of the time I really love my MIL. Seriously, I know I lucked out and all my in-laws are awesome. But every once in a while...

stanger_missle
12/6/18 2:33 p.m.

I like the suggestions guys but the reality of it is that I must sell the Jeep to pay for the move and to get established in Florida. It sucks but that is the only way I can make this whole thing happen.

Plus, if I fly, I wouldn't have to worry about driving or pulling a trailer across the country in late December. So no fuel, hotel or trailer rental costs either.

I would be out from 2 car payments plus I can pay off a small personal loan. That is over $750 a month.

What is funny is that I did the opposite direction in 2014 when I moved from Tampa to Mountain Home, ID. I drove my Jeep and pulled my teardrop camper. I would rather give myself a home vastectomy than pull a trailer with a 2 door Jeep that distance again.

Leaving Tampa:

Arrived in Idaho:

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
12/6/18 2:52 p.m.

There seems to be one less fender in the arriving picture...

stanger_missle
12/6/18 2:56 p.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

And bigger tires laugh.

I had issues with the little 12" wheels and tires at highway speeds. I stopped at a trailer shop who swapped out the hubs and put 15" wheels and tires on. The tires would not fit in the fenders. A small sacrifice haha

1 ... 885 886 887 888 889 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K2pKsc7vrBmOT5txjhixOJNimlP1SKVn0VcdtYSCpVwUwT7L0L3ueqWr8D9C6abI