1 ... 904 905 906 907 908 ... 1927
NickD
NickD UberDork
1/18/19 5:25 a.m.

Trying to get the 6-speed in the Miata last night, I spend 2 hours wrestling with the thing. I could get the input shaft splined in the clutch disc but not started in the pilot bearing. Finally, I go torch the input shaft out of my old junk transmission and it won't go into the pilot bearing. The stupid plastic alignment tool just has too much play in it. Use the old input shaft to line it up and slammed the transmission home in literally 5 minutes.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/19 8:07 a.m.
tb said:

Quoted because I think that you hit on my main rant with life right now:

I probably need a car that doesn't come with a pre-packaged list of necessary mods because I am pretty much physically incapable of working on cars anymore. Honestly, I have to somehow come to terms with that fact and resign myself to never turning another wrench for the rest of my life.

sad

Tuner cars are not much fun if I'm just gonna write a check and pick it back up in a month while someone else gets to enjoy busting their knuckles and money cannot buy the happiness that comes from dirt under the fingernails...

Blissful ignorance should probably be my new life goal. 

That's extra sad to me because even though I can totally wrench, I'd actually be happy to have someone else do all the wrenching while I do all the driving, the reasons I do any wrenching myself basically all come down to saving money.

There could soon be powered exoskeletons available that might make it possible for you to wrench on cars again, seriously, they're already being used in factories.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/19 8:12 a.m.
Duke said:

Our only remaining autocross venue just raised their lot rent from $2500 to $3500 per day.

$2500 was barely sustainable.

Berk.

Wow that's completely insane, the swanky new track by me rents for as little as $500 per day (plus $500/hr if you want to run the lights at night).

NickD
NickD UberDork
1/18/19 8:19 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:
Duke said:

Our only remaining autocross venue just raised their lot rent from $2500 to $3500 per day.

$2500 was barely sustainable.

Berk.

Wow that's completely insane, the swanky new track by me rents for as little as $500 per day (plus $500/hr if you want to run the lights at night).

Yeah, no kidding. We ran at pretty large kart track and that was $500 a day. Our one parking lot venue was completely free. And I think it's somewhere around $1000 a day for us to run at both airports (Which always draw 60+ entrants.)

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/18/19 8:28 a.m.

Caught a freaking cold. Feel bad enough to call out of work, but my boss isn't answering phone or email. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/18/19 9:27 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:

Veto me one time because "policy" is not in place to backup my reasoning, is one thing. Once the policy is in place and I am trying to do what I understand to be my job, by guiding those under my leadership to adhere to said policy and you immediately veto me again, we got problems. Tell me what you want and let me do it, or do it yourself. I'm tired of this limbo. I'm not trying to disrespect authority, but if this is how it's going to be, I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to play. 

I sent a very direct email yesterday. Either they are going to let me do what I need to do, or else that role is irrelevant and there's not much point in me sticking around. 

Still waiting for a response. 

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/18/19 10:13 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

I appreciate the insight and thought's, thanks. Those suits look really cool and there is even a slight chance that I will stabilize but for the immediate future I don't think I can get my hands on one...

I started wrenching because I was poor and needed to, couldn't afford to pay anyone else. After I became wealthy I continued wrenching because I found it relaxing and fulfilling, also it was the only thing I knew and familiarity won out over change. Currently, I know that I need to change over to being like the masses that don't work on their own cars but I do not want to and am trying to reconcile my emotions with the facts of the situation.

It seems like this would be easier if I knew that a new car would make me happy (not even super car or anything) and just walked into a dealer a drove one home today. There just isn't anything special on my radar that makes me want to invest resources in it without knowing more about the return in terms of how satisfied I will be...

Almost bought a CTS-V wagon on impulse a couple days ago; kinda just a frustrated moment where I knew it would be good enough but I realized I should at least test drive a few options to see if I can fall in love and not just settle.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
1/18/19 10:25 a.m.

Apparently laying down for the MRI yesterday was enough to aggravate my back badly again. So I'm in a recliner rotating between ice and heat hoping the MRI gives them an idea of how too fix this E36 M3 

wae
wae SuperDork
1/18/19 10:45 a.m.

Ugh.  RV has a bunch of worn out front end parts and the shop I dropped it off at won't be able to do it in time for me to leave next week.  I guess I get to see if I can fit the thing into the new workshop after all, but I'm not convinced that it's going to fit.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/18/19 11:57 a.m.
tb said:

In reply to GameboyRMH :

I appreciate the insight and thought's, thanks. Those suits look really cool and there is even a slight chance that I will stabilize but for the immediate future I don't think I can get my hands on one...

I started wrenching because I was poor and needed to, couldn't afford to pay anyone else. After I became wealthy I continued wrenching because I found it relaxing and fulfilling, also it was the only thing I knew and familiarity won out over change. Currently, I know that I need to change over to being like the masses that don't work on their own cars but I do not want to and am trying to reconcile my emotions with the facts of the situation.

It seems like this would be easier if I knew that a new car would make me happy (not even super car or anything) and just walked into a dealer a drove one home today. There just isn't anything special on my radar that makes me want to invest resources in it without knowing more about the return in terms of how satisfied I will be...

Almost bought a CTS-V wagon on impulse a couple days ago; kinda just a frustrated moment where I knew it would be good enough but I realized I should at least test drive a few options to see if I can fall in love and not just settle.

I don’t know your exact situation, but the guy who built this truck has basically been in a wheelchair since he got polio. The only thing he had help with was physically putting the engine (Cadillac) and transmission in it. He might have farmed out the paint, but I doubt it. It was basically just a rusty body; I don’t even think the frame is original. 

Don’t give up hope. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/18/19 12:21 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I’d be berking ecstatic if I could find a reasonable place for $1500 a day. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/18/19 12:27 p.m.

This week is one of the weeks where I have to work Fridays (we run a split schedule, off every other Friday)- and due to how our scheduling works I get off from work an hour earlier because we only have to work 8 hours on Friday and not 9 like M-Th. Normally this doesn't occur to me until about 2pm when I realize, "Oh yeah, I only have to be here 2 more hours!"

Today has dragged horribly, and I've been watching the clock since well before noon. -_-

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/18/19 12:29 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Thanks, I really appreciate the thought. I had a wreck and messed up my spine & spinal cord so I have progressing nerve damage and loss of function in like half my body. It could be worse, but it certainly isn't good.

Truth is, I was never a great driver or mechanic. Definitely better than most but also definitely not skilled enough to counted among the elite, and I am ok with that. There are so many people that have skills way beyond me on my best of days. I've done a little bit of almost everything one could do with a car over the years and have been fortunate to receive opportunities and experiences that many people dream of so I try to keep focused on those past blessings.

I guess my rant could also include that a large part of my identity has been defined by cars and what I was able to do with them in the past. Kinda hard to redefine myself when it really isn't on my own terms. I know that there are infinite variations on the "car guy" that are all equally valid in their own respects, I just have no idea what type I will be able to be moving forward from here...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/19 1:41 p.m.

there's a commercial on Pandora that sounds exactly like YYZ for the first few ting ting ting's.   it fools me.

every.

berkeleying.

time.

its just long enough for me to think "berkeley yeah, YYZ!  goddamn motherberkeley, fooled again!"

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/18/19 1:51 p.m.

A friend has been trying to get me to play Fortnite. I installed it on my phone a few days ago.

I just spent a half hour of my lunch break trying to get logged in. Tried Xbox, it opened a browser window, had me verify permissions, closed the window... And that's it, no account.

Tried Facebook - same thing.

Tried creating account manually - no good. I apparently now have an account.

Tried logging in with the password I'd set, no good.

Tried resetting password. Password manager wants to replace the reset code with my username. Pasting into the password field is tricky, as the browser wants to highlight the default text "enter password" so I can copy.

Eventually pasted the full url into the reset code field and blind edited out the part that isn't reset code, since the reset code is presented in the email only as a url.

Go to log in, and the password manager can't auto fill the login box, and these fields don't support copy/paste.

I give up. Maybe another day.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/18/19 1:52 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

So...you like The Who?

Meet the new boss,

Same as the old boss.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/19 1:56 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to AngryCorvair :

So...you like The Who?

Meet the new boss,

Same as the old boss.

yeah, but the problem is that i *will* get fooled again!

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
1/18/19 3:17 p.m.

And the MRI results have me being referred too an orthopedic surgeon instead of pain management. Apparently there's issues with my spine. Great start too this year

Brian
Brian MegaDork
1/18/19 4:32 p.m.

Grocery store+ snow storm= kill me now. It is winter in upstate NY, what do all you expect? Or is the fault mine for not acting like the world is about to end?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/18/19 6:31 p.m.

I'm gonna punch my brother.  Go get a cardiac stress test, he says.  You know we have a family history, he says.  Fine.  I fail the test, gotta get an angiogram in the next month or so.

I coulda just died.  Now I have to go get fixed, and put up with this E36 M3 we call life for another couple of decades.

If I have to get a bypass, he's gonna come look after me.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/18/19 6:43 p.m.

RIn reply to Mike :

Precisely why I don’t have a Reddit account. 5 different browsers across 3 different operating systems and all It succeeded in doing is creating a berked  up account that won’t log in but is valid enough to stop me from making a good one with my email address. 

NickD
NickD UberDork
1/19/19 9:15 a.m.

My sister calls me to tell me she needs me to look at her Forester because the brakes "just started making a noise the other day."

No, they started making noise a long time ago. You wore through the friction material, through the backing material and an 1/8" into the ears on the calipers. And, oh, you have no money again, so I have to fix it at my expense. Cool.

Family sucks, because they're a bunch of people you'd normally choose not to associate with, but you have to be nice to because you share the same parents.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/19/19 9:19 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

No you don't. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/19/19 9:53 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

That’s impressive, I’ve never seen someone get that much life from a set of pads.

NickD
NickD UberDork
1/19/19 10:11 a.m.

In reply to Wally :

Nobody kills cars like my sisters. She murdered 3 early-'90s GM products (a Corsica, a Cutlass and a Cavalier) in 2 years, and that was the era of "Bland but bulletproof junk" over at GM. The piston was almost all the way out of the bore. And she drives her kids around in this thing

1 ... 904 905 906 907 908 ... 1927

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F4JIU0KRnvqWYb9hCVgy5YVV3MCx8oc3ZuYwuuqcTbnC3UiGS75wt7yMuMGNufeL