1 ... 918 919 920 921 922 ... 1930
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/19 6:57 p.m.

My position is "evolving".  9+ Hour days are turning into 10+ and then more calls/emails/messages at night, constant stream of complaints and issues that must be addressed now, and people and departments that can need answers immediately on all sorts of things that have never been our problem before.  In the past year four of us have started blood pressure pills and several good people that took the position asked to be demoted back to their old jobs.  I can't wait to see what they do for us next.   

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/19 7:07 p.m.

I've been a Mental Health Therapist for a whopping two and a half weeks and I have already had to call the cops on a literal paranoid schizophrenic bi-polar PTSD sufferer off of her meds.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/13/19 8:07 p.m.

I took the front end of the Focus apart.

To change a headlight bulb.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/19 9:39 p.m.

Dear customer,

Don't spend several hours trying to repair something you don't understand. After you spend hours berkeleying it up, I have to spend a considerable amount of time fixing your berkeley ups before I ever get to the original problem. 

Next time, take the pointy end of your screwdriver and poke yourself in the eye. It will be much less painful than the invoice I'm going to send you in the morning. 

Thanks so much.

Sincerely,

The guy that actually knows what he's doing. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/13/19 9:45 p.m.
Javelin said:

I've been a Mental Health Therapist for a whopping two and a half weeks and I have already had to call the cops on a literal paranoid schizophrenic bi-polar PTSD sufferer off of her meds.

Welcome to Tuesday. Been doing this for 15 years .

Hell, i had the local whistleblowers news program called on me this week by a delusional schizophrenic off her meds. However, my job title was upgraded to "white devil" in the process 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
2/13/19 10:27 p.m.
Wally said:

My position is "evolving".  9+ Hour days are turning into 10+ and then more calls/emails/messages at night, constant stream of complaints and issues that must be addressed now, and people and departments that can need answers immediately on all sorts of things that have never been our problem before.  In the past year four of us have started blood pressure pills and several good people that took the position asked to be demoted back to their old jobs.  I can't wait to see what they do for us next.   

That's not good. Take care of yourself man, the job will always be there, but you won't. Any openings in other departments?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/19 12:18 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
Javelin said:

Welcome to Tuesday. Been doing this for 15 years .

Hell, i had the local whistleblowers news program called on me this week by a delusional schizophrenic off her meds. However, my job title was upgraded to "white devil" in the process 

Awesome! That made my night.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/14/19 12:51 a.m.

I'm tall with a long torso. I have a bunch of undershirts that barely reach the bottom edge of my belt. The missus spent the time to order tall shirts. Now the bottoms of my undershirts have to be tucked into my pants legs. When I was in school, the shorts rule required that the bottoms of shorts had to be lower than your fingers when standing straight with arms to your side. These shirts are longer than that.

Also, there are some very vocal owls outside my window. They have to be real owls, because people pretending to be owls would be too embarrassed they were overdoing it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/14/19 1:02 a.m.

You could be me. Each arm is 2" longer than they should be. Fit my arms? Circus tent around my waist. Fit my waist? 3 inches short of my wrist.

I've been assembled with spare parts.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
2/14/19 1:56 a.m.

Son shared his viral upper respiratory infection with the missus and I. He's about over it, but we haven't been to work yet this week. Tonight is the first night in a week he's slept without having to be held all night.  The first night I could sleep more than an hour at a stretch. Why am I awake having trouble getting back to sleep after 5 hours? Can't take nighttime cough syrup because it will leave me too drowsy to manage the kid if he wakes. I'm so tired.

imgon
imgon HalfDork
2/14/19 6:47 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

One of my kids had an '03 Maxima with factory HID lighting. A headlight stopped working so we bought a new lamp and pulled out the Haynes manual. Chapter 5 to replace head light, remove bumper cover to access headlight module, refer to Chapter 3 for bumper cover removal. Chapter 3 step 1, remove headlight assembly to remove bumper cover. Huh? After going round and round for an hour or so and finally removing most of the front of the car, we gained access to the head light only to discover a melted wiring connector. Said connector could have been replaced by sliding under the car and reaching up 12".

My work Suburban has a similar issue, most of the front end comes apart along with fender liners to replace DRL's headlights or turn signals. 2.5 hours to replace 4 bulbs. Designers of these set ups should be drawn and quartered, dipped in boiling oil and fed to the alligators. Light bulbs fail constantly and should be easily accessible.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
2/14/19 7:20 a.m.
Appleseed said:

You could be me. Each arm is 2" longer than they should be. Fit my arms? Circus tent around my waist. Fit my waist? 3 inches short of my wrist.

This is me to a "T".  Body type: orangatang.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/14/19 7:28 a.m.

Video games have been around for 40 plus years now. I understand hardware has changed a lot in that some. But developers, when you're making something difficult, it's not ok to spawn so many enemies your frame rate drops to single digits so you die solely because you can't move. That is neither fun or challenging, it's just pointless. Particularly when until that point you managed to hold a steady 60FPS, that shows me you know what you're doing the majority of the time. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/14/19 7:38 a.m.
kazoospec said:
Appleseed said:

I have a 29" inseam and a 37" sleeve.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
2/14/19 8:17 a.m.

I hate Valentine's day.  Not mildly dislike, not just annoyance, but full on rage inducing hatred.  The whole idea that on some random Thursday I'm supposed to endure the throngs of other vacant eyed men and fight my way through to a picked over assortment of dying flowers and crappy candy to spend money I don't have to spare on them is painful.  To do it not because the bs holiday is special or resonant with me or my wife but instead just because everyone else is infuriates me. 

Growing up my entire annual budget for gift giving was a hard earned $200 or so. That meant we put a lot of thought into the gifts and made them meaningful, and that we didn't get gifts except for important times of the year.  My wife on the other hand grew up significantly more affluent and her family is a quantity over quality bunch so they give gifts every couple of weeks for no reason at all.  At no point in the year does this come to a head as much as today; my wife is going to give me something stupid I neither want nor need and we're both going to feel bad about it and me not getting her anything.  

The only way for me to avoid that ugliness is to go with some grand ge$$$ture.  Unfortunately this year she underpaid her taxes by about $10k and I am going to have to make it up by April because she blew all her money last year on xbox gift cards for the nephews.  So spending enough $ to avoid making her feel bad is going to make my financial anxiety worse. 

And all for a BS made up holiday!

slefain
slefain PowerDork
2/14/19 8:41 a.m.
oldopelguy said:

I hate Valentine's day.  Not mildly dislike, not just annoyance, but full on rage inducing hatred.  The whole idea that on some random Thursday I'm supposed to endure the throngs of other vacant eyed men and fight my way through to a picked over assortment of dying flowers and crappy candy to spend money I don't have to spare on them is painful.  To do it not because the bs holiday is special or resonant with me or my wife but instead just because everyone else is infuriates me. 

Growing up my entire annual budget for gift giving was a hard earned $200 or so. That meant we put a lot of thought into the gifts and made them meaningful, and that we didn't get gifts except for important times of the year.  My wife on the other hand grew up significantly more affluent and her family is a quantity over quality bunch so they give gifts every couple of weeks for no reason at all.  At no point in the year does this come to a head as much as today; my wife is going to give me something stupid I neither want nor need and we're both going to feel bad about it and me not getting her anything.  

The only way for me to avoid that ugliness is to go with some grand ge$$$ture.  Unfortunately this year she underpaid her taxes by about $10k and I am going to have to make it up by April because she blew all her money last year on xbox gift cards for the nephews.  So spending enough $ to avoid making her feel bad is going to make my financial anxiety worse. 

And all for a BS made up holiday!

Lewis Black is right there with you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdJLEYR9Igw

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/14/19 8:59 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Preach it, brothers. The ole Positive Ape Index. According to the "people are about as tall as the measurement from fingertip to fingertip with their arms spread out" I should be 6' 4".

I'm 5' 10". Both of my younger brothers are about 6'2". Early nutrition and health matters quite a bit in terms of final hight, it seems.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/19 9:45 a.m.

My arms and legs are properly proportioned, my issue is my torso. I almost died my freshman year of high school from Cohn's disease. I was 5'11" and all of 88 pounds when they finally diagnosed me. I missed that last growth spurt through the torso.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
2/14/19 9:58 a.m.

I guess I'm not too odd then. My arms are short, legs are short, long torso. I'm a whopping 5'9". Never have been able to fit into any helmet smaller than XL either.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/14/19 10:19 a.m.

I've got the long torso. 5'10", but I have headroom trouble in more cars than I should. Arms are about right for my height though, oddly enough--never really tested that; I'll do it tonight. My dad has the same length legs as me, and ostensibly was once 6', but I'm not sure that I agree with that as much as he tells me it is true--but I know that the headroom is the reason he didn't get the first generation Lexus GS and ended up in a Merc E-class instead back in the 90's.

My big issue is finding jeans that fit. Dress slacks are easy enough, khakis are easy enough, but jeans are a giant PITA to find something that fits my thighs and don't look like clown pants on my waist. Thankfully Costco sells some that don't look dorky and have some elastic in them so they just look like skinny jeans instead of the normal jeans that they really are. I think that is more due to my playing hockey than anything else.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/14/19 1:47 p.m.
Duke said:
kazoospec said:
Appleseed said:

Freak!

Keep it in the circus!

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/14/19 1:49 p.m.

The biggest problem with using Benadryl to stop a severe feline induced allergic reaction is that on a scale of one to really berkelyed up I'm at a solid "should not be operating heavy equipment" right now.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/14/19 2:52 p.m.
Duke said:
kazoospec said:
Appleseed said:

I hope you guys know that 70's vintage Fiats are perfect cars for you.  Have you ever tried on a 75 Fiat 124 Spyder?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/14/19 4:03 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I hope you guys know that 70's vintage Fiats are perfect cars for you.  Have you ever tried on a 75 Fiat 124 Spyder?

Yeah, I got some rust in my eyes and all over my clothes just this past weekend. wink

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/14/19 4:10 p.m.

It's like April in February.

50 degrees and mud.

1 ... 918 919 920 921 922 ... 1930

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SIROddbofevVkx6Kwo1bvVx7km2FM7u8kBTkRA3UvQeDPMHbnZHOMNYMsrGQ8FQc