1 ... 919 920 921 922 923 ... 1929
Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/19 5:05 p.m.

I was looking forward to going to my parent’s house for dinner and to watch the races tonight. Work decided I was going to need to stay again so I will probably be a bit late.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/19 6:07 p.m.
Appleseed said:

You could be me. Each arm is 2" longer than they should be. Fit my arms? Circus tent around my waist. Fit my waist? 3 inches short of my wrist.

I've been assembled with spare parts.

Still concerned that we should never actually occupy the same room lest there be some sort of paradox or matter-antimatter thing.

I usually wear 2XL or 3XL mainly for the sleeves.  I'm built... odd.  I have a 52" chest, 32... err, 34" waist, and "LT" long sleeve shirts/sweaters would fit if it weren't for the fact that even with the "T" on there, the sleeves are too short.

Ironically, I'd much prefer to have sleeves so long that they bunch up around my hands.  I have ever had exactly ONE sweater like this, a gift a few years back.  Even though it was a turtleneck, I cherished it because the sleeves were long.

This is 100% why I usually wear short sleeve shirts.  (I never wear shorts, however, because I don't want to scare anybody with my Chewbacca-grade leg hair)

Wally
2/14/19 6:11 p.m.

Still stuck in traffic and if I want to listen to the race on the radio i have to put up with Rusty Wallace.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/14/19 6:14 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Appleseed said:

You could be me. Each arm is 2" longer than they should be. Fit my arms? Circus tent around my waist. Fit my waist? 3 inches short of my wrist.

Still concerned that we should never actually occupy the same room lest there be some sort of paradox or matter-antimatter thing.

I usually wear 2XL or 3XL mainly for the sleeves.  I'm built... odd.  I have a 52" chest, 32... err, 34" waist, and "LT" long sleeve shirts/sweaters would fit if it weren't for the fact that even with the "T" on there, the sleeves are too short.

Ironically, I'd much prefer to have sleeves so long that they bunch up around my hands.  I have ever had exactly ONE sweater like this, a gift a few years back.  Even though it was a turtleneck, I cherished it because the sleeves were long.

This is 100% why I usually wear short sleeve shirts.  (I never wear shorts, however, because I don't want to scare anybody with my Chewbacca-grade leg hair)

I never wear shorts. Ever. After reading your last couple of lines, I'm beginning to side with you on the matter/antimatter never meeting theory.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
2/14/19 6:14 p.m.
Wally said:

Still stuck in traffic and if I want to listen to the race on the radio i have to put up with Rusty Wallace.  

Can't possibly be worth it, although you could tell yourself "At least it's not D.W."

Wally
2/14/19 6:32 p.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

It’s a coin toss which is worse.  So far in in two and a half hours I’ve gone 11 miles.  My parents wonder why I moved.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/19 7:04 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Duke said:
kazoospec said:
Appleseed said:

This is me to a "T".  Body type: orangatang.

I have a 29" inseam and a 37" sleeve.

I hope you guys know that 70's vintage Fiats are perfect cars for you.  Have you ever tried on a 75 Fiat 124 Spyder?

I own a 77. I find the pedals a bit too close, but the steering wheel perfect

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/14/19 7:20 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Ransom said:

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Yeah, I almost noted you and added a disclaimer that I wasn't blaming you, since they're clearly in broader use... cheeky

I kept thinking about it, and the on/off thing is even dumber given that a more useful and meaningful set of letters are available for both key and engine: Key: Off, Start, Run, Accessory; Engine: Cranking, Running, Stopped

So KOEO and KOER become KRES and KRER

KOEO makes more sense because the key doesn't "run", it's on or off.  The E is either Off or Running.

It's super easy to remember.  KOER means the engine is Running, and KOEO is the other one.

Wait, so the key is either On or Off, and you should be able to tell them apart because the first two letters are either KO or KO? cheeky KO(ff)ER obviously is nonsensical (or a wiring issue), but KOEO doesn't tell you where the key is, only that the engine isn't running.

If you want to start diagnosing where voltages are at different times (e.g. hot at all times, stuff suspended while cranking, only hot with ignition on) you need to be able to talk about different states of the key. The engine is mostly either running or not, but as long as we're capturing states, I'm not sure why cranking wouldn't be a good one to have.

My way both captures all the states, and doesn't use a single letter to define a thing and its opposite. KOEO and KOER are established and I'm not going into the business of preaching my version, but I still dislike it. (EDIT: I'm also not going to use my version; I'm just going to refer to the states explicitly without acronyms...)

Wally
2/14/19 7:30 p.m.

I finally made it 

Knurled.
2/14/19 7:31 p.m.
Ransom said:Wait, so the key is either On or Off, and you should be able to tell them apart because the first two letters are either KO or KO? cheeky

If you're plugging in a scantool, or doing any other kind of diagnostic, the key is NEVER "off".  ( * )  So in a sense the KO is somewhat redundant, in that "KO" always means "Key On".  The only thing that is important is if the engine is Running or not.  The main reason we differentiate between KOEO and KOER is specifically so tests are done with the engine off, but with the key on.  The KO is kept there to reiterate that the key has to be in that position, and not hanging off of the clipboard.

* - It blew my mind the first time I did BCM diagnostics with the key not only off, but hanging on a hook tn feet away.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/14/19 8:16 p.m.

The reason the whole Koeo/Koer thing doesn't make sense is because it originated with Ford.  You know, where you have to check the pip with the spout disconnected, and the hego might not work properly.

If you want to roll your eyes, google up a list of Ford acronyms...is that the right word?

Knurled.
2/14/19 8:20 p.m.

I'll never forget the time the service manager called up the Ford dealer for a rear O2 on something and got chastised by the salesdroid.

To mockingly quote, and imagine this in the most impossibly dorky voice ever like the nerd from Robot Chicken times ten:  "it's not a REAR O2, it's a CATALYST MONITOR."

yeah yeah, it's not a doll it's an action figure, you know what I'm looking for, get me the price and availability.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/14/19 9:12 p.m.

Gah. I get the historical part now. I'll continue disliking it, but I'll do so quietly. cheeky

NickD
NickD UberDork
2/15/19 7:14 a.m.

I remember in college how literally every class our teacher would be talking about something and say "If it's GM or Chrysler or Japanese they call it X. IF it's Ford, then they call it something completely different." And half the time the Ford name was completely incorrect for what the thing actually did, it was just some compulsion to call it something different from everyone else.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/15/19 7:25 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

The reason the whole Koeo/Koer thing doesn't make sense is because it originated with Ford.  You know, where you have to check the pip with the spout disconnected, and the hego might not work properly.

If you want to roll your eyes, google up a list of Ford acronyms...is that the right word?

Ah, it makes so much sense now. I have a Ford specific OBD reader app. It uses KOEO for BOTH engine On and engine Off. You just kinda need to guess which screen is the right one during diagnostics. Or I guess get a real scanner.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/15/19 9:45 a.m.

This day is dragging. 

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
2/15/19 9:55 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:

This day is dragon

FTFY. Because today Netflix is supposedly releasing season two of The Dragon Prince. My Minor Rant: Wife will guaranteed watch it while I'm stuck at work, even though she knows how much I've been looking forward to it, and even though it is our 6-year day and we have a babysitter and had totally planned to watch it together. Dirty rotten sneak.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
2/15/19 10:31 a.m.
Wally said:

I finally made it 

And your reward was you had to put up with Jeff Gordon!

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/15/19 11:40 a.m.
Wally said:

In reply to kazoospec :

.......  So far in in two and a half hours I’ve gone 11 miles.  

You're a better man than me.  If it took me 2.5 hours to go 11 miles there would be a body count and news crews involved.

Wally
2/15/19 12:59 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

It’s why I moved. From my office to my parents is 23 miles and took about three hours. To my house it’s 84 miles and 90 minutes.

Wally
2/15/19 1:01 p.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

I don’t mind Jeff Gordon.  The show after the race about him and Earnhardt was nicely done too though I didn’t understand why Brian Williams was on it. I half expected to hear about the time he edged out Dale to keep him from winning another Daytona 500. 

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
2/16/19 8:51 a.m.

I'm pretty sure I've covered this topic before, but I have to again:  DEAR OLD PEOPLE ON FACEBOOK: Stop answering "quizzes" whose obvious aim is to get the answers to your security questions.  I wouldn't care if you get hacked were it not for all the spam friend requests, emails and "can you fix my computer" requests.  

Here's a simple screening tool that may make sense to you:  If the "quiz" question appeared on Jeopardy, and, in your head, you can hear Alex reading the questions after a contestant says "I'll take 'SECURITY QUESTIONS' for $1000, Alex", DON'T DO IT.  

Knurled.
2/16/19 8:56 a.m.

In reply to kazoospec :

But I want to know what my Harry Potter OC name and specialty would be!  You just need you birth month, day, your age  and your mother's maiden name.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/16/19 11:05 a.m.

I managed to spill a whole tube of super glue on my left ring and pinkie fingers.  Ive spent the last hour with nail polish remover softening it so i can pick it off.  Still not done.. .

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/19 11:37 a.m.

In reply to logdog :

at least you didn't get it stuck to your hootis

1 ... 919 920 921 922 923 ... 1929

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pjotSPS6RFUpM8FlNu19KwmqiC9aonYykbKL7OU85JWtZU19YXgkB59woc6vLtUR