1 ... 920 921 922 923 924 ... 1926
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/18/19 10:01 a.m.

I bought a 71 pack of screwdrivers yesterday. Seventy berkeleying one. Came home, put them on the kitchen table with the rest of the purchases, and left them there.

Guess what I can't find anywhere in my damn house this morning? Any berkeleying screwdriver.

Have the underpants gnomes moved onto metal objects?

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
2/18/19 10:05 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

How does the dog look this morning?

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
2/18/19 10:07 a.m.

What is this piping engine sounds into the cabin bull e36 m3? Can we just not face reality anymore, at all?

RevRico
2/18/19 10:15 a.m.

In reply to NermalSnert :

Well she just E36 M3 next to my truck door. Again. So like her days are numbered for other reasons. 

2 acres of woods and grass, and she only E36 M3s around my truck doors.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/18/19 10:31 a.m.
NermalSnert said:

What is this piping engine sounds into the cabin bull e36 m3? Can we just not face reality anymore, at all?

Preach it, brotha.

Duke said:
pointofdeparture said:

FWIW - I didn't like the coarse engine note either, but then learned there's a "fake" engine note piped in by a speaker under the cowl

When I am Supreme Dictator, people who think that is an acceptable idea will be second or third up against the wall.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
2/18/19 1:03 p.m.

Getting some heart tests done before back surgery for clearance and they had too shave a spot on my chest for the electrode pad 

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/18/19 1:07 p.m.
logdog said:

I managed to spill a whole tube of super glue on my left ring and pinkie fingers.  Ive spent the last hour with nail polish remover softening it so i can pick it off.  Still not done.. .

2 days later, I am confident it saying it is now 100% gone.

RevRico
2/18/19 5:11 p.m.

Ugh, this new oven STINKS. I took off all the plastic and tape, secured all the wires, but it stinks like burning plastic anyway. I've pulled it out from the wall and checked everything I can find, nothing appears to be burning, but it sure smells. Ruined dinner completely.

I've got it running a self clean cycle now and it smells like I lit a spool of speaker wire on fire. No smoke, no sparks.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/19 5:22 p.m.
RevRico said:

Ugh, this new oven STINKS. I took off all the plastic and tape, secured all the wires, but it stinks like burning plastic anyway. I've pulled it out from the wall and checked everything I can find, nothing appears to be burning, but it sure smells. Ruined dinner completely.

I've got it running a self clean cycle now and it smells like I lit a spool of speaker wire on fire. No smoke, no sparks.

Yeah, you should always break-in ovens and stoves:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/why-you-should-always-burn-in-your-new-oven/

RevRico
2/18/19 5:32 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

Yea, I've only installed 65 electric stoves in my life. Never ONCE have I had anything remotely this bad. Never.

Call the company." Oh it needs to break in". Well you never put that anywhere in your manual. How long is my house going to be filling with smoke and burning wire smell? " I don't know, have a nice day." And hang up.

Call back, how can I break this in faster, self clean? "No, just break it in, have a nice night *click*"

Are you berkeleying kidding me right now? berkeley Frigidaire. 

Edit: thanks for the link though, since they didn't have the foresight to put a page of break in instructions in the manual with their 5 pages of different kinds of pans you can use. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/18/19 6:00 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

While I haven’t had a stinky stove before.  Many years ago my son (about 1 at the time) discovered the hard way that the space between the bottom of the oven door and the top of the underdrawer was just the right size for his little fingers.  And that when the oven is at 400 degrees, the actual box is also 400 degrees (the parts you normally touch are insulated).  A whole bunch of 2nd degree burns on his little fingertips and much crying.

So being a good samaratin I called the manufacturer, carefully assured them that I did not want to sue and that I wasn’t blaming them but that I found a design flaw that they should probably address since kitchens tend to be populated with small children possessed of exploring fingers.

I was politely told to piss off and stop bothering them.   Makes me wonder why companies bother having customer service lines.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/19 6:24 p.m.

Dear hospital cleaning crew. 

Here is you friendly PSA for the day.

Keep all extension cords at least 25' away from the main entrance revolving door. Did you just stand there with your mouth hanging open while the door roll the 50' of cord up around the bottom drum bearing? 

The door is powered by a fairly large DC motor. It managed to wind it tight enough that we had to dismantle half the drum to even see it. It took 3 of us 4 hours to dig that rats nest out. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
2/18/19 6:46 p.m.

Toyman I see you have found a even lower level of stupid. That is seriously impressive.

Took today off. New meds do not agree with stomach and I smell like a outhouse next to a chili cookoff right now when I fart.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/19 7:33 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

I’ve always wondered if revolving doors could do that.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/18/19 8:33 p.m.

Went to install my guitar hanger on my wall. This house was built in 1927. Plaster walls all around downstairs, or so I assumed. 

Well, apparently this one is not. I'd taken my magnet, and my string, and found my studs. They were all 16" apart, exactly. Take my drill... that went through way too easily. Huh, maybe I missed it. Move over, do it again... Wait, that felt like drywall--I go and unscrew the light switch.... Well I'll be damned. This wall is drywall! Look for the stud by knocking, still sounds like I should be right on it, but I'm not. I don't know what my magnet is sticking to, but it isn't any screw or nail in a stud. In any case, now I had to run and get some drywall anchors since after I did find the stud, it is not in a good place for me to hang the guitar. 

I need to start a notebook with all of my homes idiosyncrasies. So far we have the weird furnace filter that is never in stock anywhere near here, the one room upstairs that is plaster walls vs the 2 that are not, and now, as far as I know, the bedroom downstairs that is drywall. I know for sure that the living room, kitchen, family room, and at least 3 walls of the dining room are plaster, but seriously, wtf?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
2/18/19 9:16 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Welcome to old houses. They are all like that after 60 years or so. When the plaster fails dry wall is so much easier. At least you have 16 inch studs, mine vary from 14.5 to 17!

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
2/18/19 10:33 p.m.

Removing a 40 year old power seat from an old ford. With no way to apply power to move the seat. 1/12 of a turn at a time. Then when it was finally loose I learned just how heavy seats can be. We won, but that was a fight I did not want to have.

Also snow. Berk snow. I live here so I don't have to muck with the stuff but this morning there was enough on the ground to make the roads E36 M3ty and kill half the power in town. I had to drive to the far McD's to get mu McMuffin today. Not a great start.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/18/19 11:54 p.m.

Nope, I was wrong. It’s not drywall or plaster. It’s drywall over plaster. Or at least it is right where I hung my guitar up.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/19/19 12:51 a.m.

Well, I get to join the club of calling appliance manufacturers tomorrow, also because of a burning plastic smell. 

We had just got in bed, and I was about to  go to sleep when I noticed a burning plastic smell. My wife said it was probably her face wash which has a funny smell to it. I smelled her face and thought maybe. But then I kept sniffing. Nope, that is a burning plastic smell. Go downstairs, ah, dishwasher is running. Wife must have put something that she shouldn’t have in there. Hit cancel, open it up.... and it doesn’t stop. Close it, oh E36 M3. The motherboard must be on fire. None of the buttons are doing anything, but it is still running and smoking. Run downstairs and find the breaker; turn it off. 

Hopefully Kenmore will stand behind their product, but I can’t imagine that they will. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/19/19 12:59 a.m.
mtn said:

Nope, I was wrong. It’s not drywall or plaster. It’s drywall over plaster. Or at least it is right where I hung my guitar up.

A lot of old places are like that because someone got the idea that plaster repair is very hard. Its not, you can use drywall mud if you really want to even.

I have a drywall wall on my 1905 house too, and a lot of people break out the old plaster even if it is the very strong cement and horsehair variety

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
2/19/19 7:38 a.m.

German engineering.  Chinese manufacturing.  What could possibly go wrong?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/19 7:54 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

My brother in law is a quality control engineer for Stihl. German company, with manufacturing in Germany, VA Beach, and China. He always enjoys his China trips. Explaining quality control is apparently fun. 

/sarcasm 

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/19/19 9:14 a.m.

So after much longer of a delay than it should have been, things are now moving forward (still slowly though) on the construction of the cabin. The construction of the decks has started, all of the utilities (save the telecom, which I need to look into...) are in place and they just finished the digging to connect them up to the cabin itself. We also found out that we should be getting at least a modest contribution from the other property owners for the electrical run, and every little bit helps. Good right? Yeah... but still comes with plenty of frustration.

We've been trying for like 3 months now to get the builder to give us a list of all the likely expenses that will be coming up that are NOT covered in the base construction cost of the cabin that he quoted us at the beginning. Things like the digging to connect the utilities, the well drilling, etc.- things that we need to make sure we have the money on hand for but that we might not have had any clue we'd need to worry about because we've never build a forking cabin before unlike him. And since these things weren't expressly put into the loan request, we can't generally pull from it for them.

And some things I'm questioning if we should be paying for ourselves outside of what he's getting for the cabin construction. Like the temporary electrical service hookup for them to not have to have a generator there. That seems to me that it's an expense that should be included in the basic construction and not broken out and paid for separately. Frankly I'm pretty pissed at a number of the aspects of how the builder has handled this as we've repeatedly asked for him to tell us what all still is likely to be coming outside of the base amount so we can plan for it and not be scrambling to make sure we have money handy to cover it.

I've got a good mind to flatly tell him that he has a day to get us a list of the non-basic expenses and what he estimates they'll be, and after that anything that is NOT on the list that he gave us we will assume should be covered by the basic cabin expense he quoted and we won't be paying extra for.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/19/19 2:27 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

So after much longer of a delay than it should have been, things are now moving forward (still slowly though) on the construction of the cabin. The construction of the decks has started, all of the utilities (save the telecom, which I need to look into...) are in place and they just finished the digging to connect them up to the cabin itself. We also found out that we should be getting at least a modest contribution from the other property owners for the electrical run, and every little bit helps. Good right? Yeah... but still comes with plenty of frustration.

We've been trying for like 3 months now to get the builder to give us a list of all the likely expenses that will be coming up that are NOT covered in the base construction cost of the cabin that he quoted us at the beginning. Things like the digging to connect the utilities, the well drilling, etc.- things that we need to make sure we have the money on hand for but that we might not have had any clue we'd need to worry about because we've never build a forking cabin before unlike him. And since these things weren't expressly put into the loan request, we can't generally pull from it for them.

And some things I'm questioning if we should be paying for ourselves outside of what he's getting for the cabin construction. Like the temporary electrical service hookup for them to not have to have a generator there. That seems to me that it's an expense that should be included in the basic construction and not broken out and paid for separately. Frankly I'm pretty pissed at a number of the aspects of how the builder has handled this as we've repeatedly asked for him to tell us what all still is likely to be coming outside of the base amount so we can plan for it and not be scrambling to make sure we have money handy to cover it.

I've got a good mind to flatly tell him that he has a day to get us a list of the non-basic expenses and what he estimates they'll be, and after that anything that is NOT on the list that he gave us we will assume should be covered by the basic cabin expense he quoted and we won't be paying extra for.

Im genuinely stunned you guys stayed with him, hes never been a great contractor and now that youve basically told him he cant get fired by staying with him so long, he certainly isnt gonna get better.

Hes not telling you what is included because hes planning on charging you for everything IMHO

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/19/19 3:26 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

The ONLY reason we didn't fire him was because if we did there was absolutely no way that the cabin would be finished before the loan expires- and we'd almost certainly have ended up paying a good bit more and losing even more rental income from it. We also have in place the penalty for not having it done by the promised date (now over a month ago), so it lessens the cost the longer it takes him. 

We went back and forth over what was the best approach, and as pissed as we are about how he's handled it there was enough of a concern of it simply not getting done to suck it up and stick it out.

1 ... 920 921 922 923 924 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bZpHy7SoH22uF36ug0R1nvA6g833933HtrPmQgwwd9tsq5HxwL9FpIhHXzqjiVJN