1 ... 992 993 994 995 996 ... 1926
mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/21/19 4:00 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:
mtn said:
RacetruckRon said:
mtn said:

Ok, all you baby companies and Big Data. You were smart enough to figure out we were pregnant. Now, you really should be smart enough to figure out that our daughter passed. Why are we still getting ads in the mail for baby formula, diapers, etc.? 

Go berkeley yourselves.

Sorry for you loss man. My fiance and I went through this same thing a few months ago, she still gets formula samples in the mail every now and then. Those are bad days.

Hey Ron, looks like we're not too far from each other. I end up in Brown Deer every few months for work, I'll keep it in mind to ping you in case you want to grab a beer. Sorry for your loss as well, how old was your child?

I'd be down for that, shoot me a PM or 6oh8 449 5three7Ate.

Future Mrs. Racetruck was 12-13 weeks along went in expecting a sonogram came out with bad news.  How old was your daughter if you don't mind me asking?

Ah - Yeah, we went through that too, before Angela.  Mrs. mtn was only about 7 weeks when we had the miscarriage which was, at that point in my life, the hardest thing I'd ever gone through. Luckily we were pregnant again within 2 months after that so never got quite the "jolt" from still getting baby ads. But Angela only made it to two weeks. And everything was looking 100% until her birth, when we found out that she had a heart "condition". Most of what we know we discovered from the autopsy, but our best guess is that a virus attacked her heart, likely about 2-5 days before her birth. Long story short, she and we fought hard for her two weeks, but she didn't make it.

Oddly enough, this relates to my other rant about the beard. I've never had a beard before this; the last good reason I had to shave was to kiss my daughter without poking her with my 5 o clock shadow. That was the day before she passed. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/21/19 5:15 p.m.
Torkel said:

In reply to Antihero :

Wow... I'm so sorry. That is just horrible.

Thanks, FWIW Facebook did help me in locking her account down even though she didn't set me as a legacy contact.

Still wasn't great scrolling thru and seeing it though

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/21/19 5:39 p.m.

On the flip side, a few weeks after my old man died, I forgot I had some saved voice mail messages. His was not one of them. It's been 6 months and I'm forgetting what my dad sounded like.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/21/19 8:25 p.m.

Why do I have to be a financially responsible adult? I want to buy an automatic NB to turbo and rallycross, A honda swapped classic mini, and a twin turbo 2j powered RHD japanese sedan.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/21/19 9:18 p.m.
Entropyman said:

Any job that requires the use of a respirator

They make full hood respirators, though.

Also, I wouldn't work for UPS, then.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/21/19 9:26 p.m.
Appleseed said:

On the flip side, a few weeks after my old man died, I forgot I had some saved voice mail messages. His was not one of them. It's been 6 months and I'm forgetting what my dad sounded like.

It'll come back to you at the weirdest times. It was 4 years since my dad died in January, and still when I or my kid does something stupid, there he is clear as day. Or a song comes on and there's the story of bringing the band dinner at the retreat he used to go to. Sometimes it's had to remember, but it always comes back.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/19 9:52 p.m.

If you are going to open a restaurant, maybe consider building a facility that absorbs noise instead of one that amplifies it. If I can't talk to the person across the table, it doesn't matter how good your food is, I won't be back. 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
6/21/19 9:54 p.m.

I'm >< close to buying a car here in Denver and driving home instead of waiting for a flight. I don't think I am going to fly here again unless forced to, I'll take the 11 hour drive over 11 hours in an airport every time. 

If anyone in Denver has a beater that's for sale now would be a good time to clean it out and send me a message. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/22/19 7:07 a.m.
1kris06 said:

"Hey man, the dmv gave me too short of a front plate. I can only use half the bolts needed. Can you fix it?"

No, dude. Plates are all the same size. The new accords just have E36 M3ty front plate mounts.

I remember when plate bolt holes were not standardized, and cars came with the narrow pattern on top and the wide pattern on the bottom (or vice versa) and you only used two screws, location depending on where you lived.

Being able to use all four fasteners is a novel concept.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/22/19 7:43 a.m.
Entropyman said:

One of the chemical plants near Joliet won't let you on site if you have a beard.  In an emergency you will be handed a respirator and a beard is an issue.  If I'm a salesman meeting on site at the office I have to be clean shaven around the respirator area.  (Stepan Chemical)

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
6/22/19 8:29 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:
Entropyman said:

One of the chemical plants near Joliet won't let you on site if you have a beard.  In an emergency you will be handed a respirator and a beard is an issue.  If I'm a salesman meeting on site at the office I have to be clean shaven around the respirator area.  (Stepan Chemical)

I remember a YouTube guy saying "Hitler had his stupid mustache because in WWI he had an even stupider mustache that caused his gas mask to leak and left a scar on his lip" 

Honestly may or may not be completely accurate but it sounded cool.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/22/19 11:07 a.m.
Toyman01 said:

If you are going to open a restaurant, maybe consider building a facility that absorbs noise instead of one that amplifies it. If I can't talk to the person across the table, it doesn't matter how good your food is, I won't be back. 

It seems to be getting more common.  I wonder about the unfinished ceiling style with steel ducts and hard surfaces painted black, and whether that contributes to it.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
6/22/19 2:13 p.m.

Somebody is convinced I own an '09 Mustang. 4 calls and now a letter about the warranty on it. I've never owned any car period newer than '99. Never a Mustang newer than '97. Hell the newest Mustang I've been inside of was an '06. If I get another call about this '09 I'm gonna ask them where the berkeley they're hiding it because I'd like to drive it if I own it.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas SuperDork
6/22/19 2:56 p.m.

Selling the item out from under a buyer after making plans to show them the item is crummy.

Not letting the buyer know that and leaving them at the scheduled meeting point is straight E36M3ty.

Damn, I hate being a motivated buyer.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/22/19 3:49 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

Pretty sure it's done on purpose so it seems more busier than it is.

It's really annoying though

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/22/19 4:01 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

It's cheaper, and "trendy", and "lively". Anything hard just bounces sound. Hard floor, hard walls, hard ceiling, hard furniture. Throw in people trying to hear other people, and so talking louder, and then the sound system is turned up over that...

It's easy to tone this down, but very few restaurateurs want to try. Having grown up in loud restaurants young people just think it's normal. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/22/19 5:21 p.m.

In reply to Shadeux :

Young people might not care, too.  My hearing is somewhat damaged from 58 years of abuse, but I'm berkeleying deaf in a place with lots of ambient noise.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
6/22/19 6:22 p.m.

For today's festivities, we got locked out of the house.  Took the locksmith about 3 minutes to get in, still cost $125.  While we were waiting, one of the kids dropped a bike on the Miata.  Sadly, this isn't even the first time it's happened.  I'm on the verge of selling the car, or setting the bikes on fire in the middle of the front yard . . . 

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
6/22/19 6:32 p.m.
Knurled. said:
1kris06 said:

"Hey man, the dmv gave me too short of a front plate. I can only use half the bolts needed. Can you fix it?"

No, dude. Plates are all the same size. The new accords just have E36 M3ty front plate mounts.

I remember when plate bolt holes were not standardized, and cars came with the narrow pattern on top and the wide pattern on the bottom (or vice versa) and you only used two screws, location depending on where you lived.

interesting.

That might explain why some rear odyssey plates we could only get 2-3 bolts in.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/22/19 7:01 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to Shadeux :

Young people might not care, too.  My hearing is somewhat damaged from 58 years of abuse, but I'm berkeleying deaf in a place with lots of ambient noise.

The town I live in has a 170 year old restored limestone building with a nice restaurant and bar on the first floor.   

Wooden floors, rock walls, wooden ceiling, and on a busy Friday I can’t hear a thing.  Great place but WHAT?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/22/19 7:20 p.m.

I don’t know how people work in offices.  I’ve been getting stuck inside almost once a week and it’s dreadful.  I heard the sun even came out today and I missed it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/22/19 7:25 p.m.
1kris06 said:
Knurled. said:
1kris06 said:

interesting.

That might explain why some rear odyssey plates we could only get 2-3 bolts in.

Back in the old days, Saskatchewan plates had slots top and bottom.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/22/19 7:30 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

It’s all about routine.  Come in at 6:45am, drink first cup of coffee, Log onto computer, look at daily bring-a-trailer email while waiting for computer, get Pandora and Bluetooth speaker going, walk out to shop to say hello to your 2 guys that fill your orders, eat Costco cheese bagel at 8:30am, pee, head out on sales calls by 9am.....

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/22/19 7:31 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

With as stressed as we have been lately with things, The Dancer and I have been re-watching The Office, and she has made the same comment to me. Honestly, I've been doing it for most of my adult life so it is just normal... not to say I wouldn't jump at the chance to not work in an office. I do miss being younger and able/asked to travel to our manufacturing operations (or being assigned to them inherently) and getting to spend more time on the shop floor with actual hardware. These days my excitement comes from them finally approving and getting me a convertible sit/stand desk.... yay.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/22/19 8:52 p.m.

Sure, working in an office gets dull. But when it’s 20 out, it’s 70 in the office. And when it’s 100 out, it’s 70 in the office. 

And it hardly ever rains on my desk. 

1 ... 992 993 994 995 996 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qM8Z2XkoLCrF61LzrVUA3hBALPjmX616Nm0AZ9MYxobU6j2hVJ97aC7aEF1czl8X