1 ... 994 995 996 997 998 ... 1926
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/25/19 5:16 p.m.

I pay a yearly membership to shop in your store, now you expect me to checkout my own E36 M3 as well? I don't berkeleying think so. Better add more cameras, you don't have an employee discount button on the register so I'll be helping myself to one from now on. 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/19 5:56 p.m.
RevRico said:

I pay a yearly membership to shop in your store, now you expect me to checkout my own E36 M3 as well? I don't berkeleying think so. Better add more cameras, you don't have an employee discount button on the register so I'll be helping myself to one from now on. 

Sam's Club?

Personally, I prefer not having to wait for someone else to scan my ish, just like I prefer to pump my own gas (except I live in Oregon and that isn't allowed here).

Also, saying that theft is ok because you're annoyed is a great berkeleying example to set for your kid, plus it tends to do the opposite of what you want because that lost merchandise requires higher prices to compensate.

C'mon man, pull your head out and start thinking straight.  The anger isn't helping you or anyone else, find a more constructive way to use it before it kills you.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/25/19 6:02 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Ever been to Trader Joe’s?  

If you ask an employee how something tastes  they will instantly open the package and offer you a sample.  Then they write it off as a sample and pass it around.  

So you got that going for you.  

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/25/19 6:08 p.m.

Self checkout cost someone their job. I prefer to keep casheers employed. They also don't irrationally nag the piss out of you with "unexpected item/return item" B.S.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/25/19 6:46 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to RevRico :

If you ask an employee how something tastes  they will instantly open the package and offer you a sample.  Then they write it off as a sample and pass it around.  

I miss trader Joes so much.. 

Yea Sam's  club. I thought it was bad when they had 14 registers with only 2 people and 2 self checkouts. Now they have 6 employees working 2 registers, 10 "closed/out of order" and 2 self checkouts WITH SOMEONE WATCHING THEM. Not to help, not to checkout, just to stand there and watch.

Quit replacing employees with machines stupid tight wads. Bad enough I have to dig through pallets all over the store to find what I'm looking for because you don't have enough employees to keep the shelves stocked, why even be a store? 

I fully support stealing from big companies. Sorry, but I do. They get to steal millions in tax revenue and force tons of great mom and pop shops to shut down because they can afford to buy their way to being the only game in town, berkeley them. Let's not even get into the the E36 M3 wages and bullE36 M3 corporate pass the buck attitudes that come with it.

Want to eliminate your employees and make the customer do everything, which has been my past several experiences at Sam's Club as well as Home Depot, then lower your prices, raise the quality of your goods, or expect to pay for it in ways other than year end executive bonuses, who the berkeley do they think they are? Too big to fail banks?

Edit for the record: I've not actually stolen anything from Sam's Club because everything is too big to actually steal. You look awful funny heading to the door with a case of paper towels or a 10 foot inflatable flamingos under your shirt. 

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/25/19 6:54 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:
Robbie said:
Crxpilot said:

Our realtor listed our home tonight. The pictures he took aren’t great but I hope the target market sees the good. We’re buying another home contingent on this one selling so, in the end, we may be staying here another year. 

It’ll sell. I’m just nervous.

Pay to have professional pictures taken of your house. You will easily get the $1000 back out of a higher selling price. And the house will sell way faster. Buyers don't read they look at pictures.

Your realtor, on the other hand, should be fired for not doing it for you.

What he said. Either have a professional take pictures, or if you don't like the pictures see if you can take better ones yourself. Did you have the house staged, or is it being sold (and the pictures taken) as it is with all of your stuff in it? 

Here to pile on. When we were selling, first realtor crapped all over the place and suggested we'd be lucky to get way less than we'd bought in at, multiple renovations earlier. We'd have to pay our way out. Second one, with decades of experience, recognized the house was special and not warehouse space sold purely on square footage. She sent over a professional photographer, reached out to fellow people for leads, set a price forty percent higher than the first agent's "best case." She arranged five showings for the first day on the market, and had us with a 100% offer by the end of the day.

Good agents and good photos make a difference!

Edit: photos

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/25/19 8:01 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to RevRico :

I love Trader Joe's, service is unmatched

MrSmokey
MrSmokey Reader
6/25/19 8:07 p.m.
Antihero said:
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to RevRico :

I like their triple ginger brew ... 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/25/19 8:08 p.m.
MrSmokey said:
Antihero said:
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to RevRico :

I like their triple ginger brew ... 

Hell yes! Me too!

They have a bunch of things I like from them

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
6/25/19 8:32 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:
Robbie said:
Crxpilot said:

Our realtor listed our home tonight. The pictures he took aren’t great but I hope the target market sees the good. We’re buying another home contingent on this one selling so, in the end, we may be staying here another year. 

It’ll sell. I’m just nervous.

Pay to have professional pictures taken of your house. You will easily get the $1000 back out of a higher selling price. And the house will sell way faster. Buyers don't read they look at pictures.

Your realtor, on the other hand, should be fired for not doing it for you.

What he said. Either have a professional take pictures, or if you don't like the pictures see if you can take better ones yourself. Did you have the house staged, or is it being sold (and the pictures taken) as it is with all of your stuff in it? 

Not staged but mostly packed up. I’ll give it a few weeks. We’re out of town the week of July 4th and if there are no showings we can make some changes.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/25/19 9:44 p.m.

In reply to Mike :

That's a beautiful house!

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
6/26/19 8:11 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

TMy local grocery tried self-checkout a few years ago.  It didn't take too long before they tore them out and added regular cashiers  back.   

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Reader
6/26/19 8:13 a.m.

In reply to Mike :

Nice to see your agent actually earned his/her commission.  Congrats' on making good decisions!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/26/19 9:43 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Self checkout cost someone their job. I prefer to keep casheers employed. They also don't irrationally nag the piss out of you with "unexpected item/return item" B.S.

MAYBE. There is a pretty notorious Food Lion that only had one checkout open, outside of peak times, when they would close the service desk and have that person run a register for a while but not do returns, money orders, etc. This is how they do things: they have one person who is checking out, so you can just wait.

Yeah, this example is the exception rather than the rule, but in many locations they still have the "gatekeeper" staffing the self-checkout lanes to do over-rides, odd coupons, check IDs for alcohol and so on. I'm not saying that in some areas people aren't losing their jobs or having already limited part-time hours cut even further, but self-checkout isn't the problem, it is just a symptom of the problem.

The problem is LEAN staffing. If it takes 200 labor hours to run something smoothly, they will staff a full time manager for 40 hours, an assistant for 40 hours  then allocate 100 part time hours of labor for the rest, and tie the manager's compensation to the labor. So, they're understaffed all the time by design. At a place like Costco (where they added self-checkout lanes) I've not noticed them closing a register, but all of the people with 3-4 items are now doing self-checkout and not having to wait behind the church groups, insane doomsday preppers, hoarders and unfortunate people that birthed octuplets, all of which are trying to check out in every staffed line with 4 shopping carts full a month worth of supplies. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/26/19 10:22 a.m.

While I perfer to go to a cashier, I haven't noticed less staffing due to the self-checkouts. I HAVE noticed shorter lines. 

Also, the "stealing from a big corporation" just raises the prices for everyone else. Don't be that guy.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/26/19 12:10 p.m.

In reply to Crxpilot :

Having most stuff packed up and out should help a lot.

When we sold my old house a ways back, the initial realtor I had was a complete mess. And I mean that literally- somewhere in the archives of this thread is I believe my ranting about her walking over the resurfaced asphalt driveway and then into the house, leaving a trail of tar footprints across the carpet (thankfully the cleaning place she paid for got them out- and had a good laugh at her stupidity). Though I had moved a good bit of my stuff out she didn't make any of the suggestions she should have to improve its appeal and it sat unsold for close to a year. When I could I dropped her and got a near realtor, who pointed out a few improvements I could make cheaply and those combined with the Dancer's doing some staging with just my stuff to improve how it looked led to it selling fairly quickly after the change.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/19 12:25 p.m.
mtn said:

While I perfer to go to a cashier, I haven't noticed less staffing due to the self-checkouts. I HAVE noticed shorter lines. 

Also, the "stealing from a big corporation" just raises the prices for everyone else. Don't be that guy.

At my local grocer, which was acquired by Kroger not too long ago, they started doing self-checkouts before the acquisition.  They work well for quick trips.  Still plenty of regular staffed checkouts for large cartloads.

Now they've introduced barcode scanners you can take with you to scan the items, bag them yourself, pay and walk on out.

Another twist they've added recently is the ability to order online and pick it up at the curb.

The workers are unionized and I've not noticed any reduction in staff as they've been moved to other areas.

If you're shopping at Sam's or Walmart or similar, don't be surprised if they don't have enough cashiers.  They never have, even during Black Friday, its just the way they work and how they've always worked.  berkeley customers, because that's why.  You're getting a good deal, shut up and enjoy it.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/26/19 12:47 p.m.

Sams and Walmart always have too few cashiers. It’s their business model. I don’t even know why they bother putting in all those lanes. They’re never staffed. 

Same with Ikea. The checkout wait at ikea is frequently massively painful. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
6/26/19 6:34 p.m.

Lost my phone somewhere at work somehow. berkeleying E36 M3.

Also, the Miata has developed a tinny heat shield rattle that I cannot find and is driving me absolutely berkeleying nuts

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/26/19 7:23 p.m.

Has the SCCA online renewal ever worked?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/26/19 7:38 p.m.
dculberson said:

Same with Ikea. The checkout wait at ikea is frequently massively painful. 

Apparently Boston has this odd tradition that all Universities and Colleges move in on Labor Day weekend?

Then everyone heads over to IKEA for E36 M3?  Then to Target? Four hours at IKEA last year then we try to jam it all in a Sentra?   NEVER again!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/27/19 12:50 a.m.

Had a great night hanging out with brett Murphy and eating very tasty local Mexican. 

Pent the last 6 hours on the bathroom floor in my hotel room worshipping at the porcelain alter. Im guessing food poisoning. 

The worst part is i HAVE TO  finish this licensure class and pass the test today. Then drive the 200 miles home. 

At least I finally got both ends stopped and can try to sleep. Hopefully. Im scared to try water.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
6/27/19 5:33 a.m.

Last year I really enjoyed watching the Driftmasters European Championship, which they were streaming to Youtube. The season kicked off this year and I couldn't find the livestreams. Turns out now they are only streaming to Red Bull's proprietary streaming app. Well, guess I'm not watching that anymore. I'm sick of the trend of every company needing their own personal streaming app. Before you know it, you're paying for 50 different services, that most of them don't even work properly. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/27/19 12:41 p.m.
Mike said:

Has the SCCA online renewal ever worked?

I do it every year for DD#2 and myself. Maybe it’s down because of people complaining about not being able to register for Nats?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/27/19 1:35 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Had a great night hanging out with brett Murphy and eating very tasty local Mexican. 

Gah- that sucks, sorry to hear it. I was unaffected. Did you eat at a gas station earlier in the day?

1 ... 994 995 996 997 998 ... 1926

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GrPSJGFXq5iXBVejkahnPjoyTtUqo6uXMJy0uVuUDaIRif7nlrZiQsx1VI7jb8Jp