1 ... 110 111 112 113 114 ... 292
RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/9/19 6:50 p.m.

I finally impulse bought something useful, a tank of C25 and a regulator. I was finally driving by the welding shop when they were opened so I stopped to look around. Was quoted $300 about a year ago, but wound up out the door for $200.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
11/10/19 5:38 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

I need to do that.

My win: went and took care of a stump grinding job two towns over.  My son came along to put a few bucks in his pocket.  We spent a couple hours taking turns running the machine to grind out a huge stump (5' diameter at the top and spread out to 8' below grade).   I had thought I'd quoted the homeowner $175 or $200 but he was pretty pleased and came out with $300.  I split that with the boy and gave my daughter $50 as well when we got home (she spent the time cleaning the house).  I remember a few times as a teenager when my dad had slipped me a nice bill and how generous and cool it seemed.   Nice to be able to keep that tradition going.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/10/19 10:25 p.m.

I got the mr2 in the shop for the winter. While it's sad that it's parked for the season, I'm happy I got the shop cleaned up enough to fit it in. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/11/19 1:05 p.m.

I drove my ZJ Grand Cherokee to the scrapyard and they gave me $216 for it. Not too bad for a vehicle I paid $500 for, drove for two winters and then lent to my father as a winter beater for another 2 years. It was a bit of a white-knuckle drive though, as it was retired due to a front lower control arm tearing out of the body, and then a brake line had rusted out while it had been sitting all this year.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/11/19 2:44 p.m.

Due to weather, the two day rallycross has been cancelled.

Win because I found out as I was preparing to cancel my registration, and I'm pretty sure I would not have been able to get a full refund this late.  So I will opt for future credit.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/11/19 5:55 p.m.

I decided to try a $15 Drain King (one of those expanding plug things you put on your garden hose) instead of $300 to have them come out and jet the downspout drain out, and while I did have to pop out for a $6 plug to block the other downspout, it seems to have worked!

I did try a snake, but the silty buildup just let the snake work its way in without ever really shifting anything. Maybe if I'd been running a hose and snake at the same time for who knows how long...

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/11/19 10:30 p.m.

In reply to Ransom :

Those garden hose drain cleaners really work! As long as you're able to snake the drain itself and aren't just filling the vent pipe. ;-)

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
11/14/19 7:44 p.m.

Been fighting a cold which kicked in today about 2:00 pm.

2 different wins,

1) The program I use at work had gone haywire and nothing I did corrected it for 2 days, this afternoon about 3:00 it was working correctly. No clue as why it works now. My boss was happy anyway.

2) Yesterday I got the vinyl / fiberglass top from Gerti cut up and in the trash with some trash out of the barn even though I didn't feel like it.

Ok 3 wins, Im on Dayquil and shortly I'll be on Nyquil! devil and Pyro made some delicious chicken noodle soup for dinner.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/15/19 12:30 p.m.

DW and I spent an hour with our financial advisor this morning.  We're on track for DW to retire in 2 years and me in 3 (I'm 18 months younger than she is).  We can keep our current lifestyle until 90 without touching principal, and leave DDs #1 and #2 a nice chunk.

He actually told us we don't need to save at the rate we have been, and to start spending a little more.  30 years of habit is going to be a little scary to change, but in a good way.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/15/19 1:10 p.m.

for the first time ever, my parts storsge area is lit!!!!

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
11/15/19 1:50 p.m.

Heading to a football tournemant with my son and the 84FSP clan.  Escaped work early and looking forward to a family weekend of fun.  Lucky to have such a great wife and kids to take care of.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
11/15/19 3:07 p.m.

Parents agreed to watch kids for a couple days, boss gave me an extra day off, place to stay is arranged... My favorite way to splurge is disneyland during the holidays and it is all coming together.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/16/19 12:02 p.m.

Dragged my generator down to the carport today because I'm sick of tripping over it in the garage. It hasn't been touched in at least 10 years other than to be shoved around, but it did have half a tank of fuel in it. 

First pull, fired right up, and ran great with no sputtering or problems.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/16/19 1:11 p.m.

Before:

after:

Winter car wash = best car wash

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/16/19 3:26 p.m.

The shop is the CLEAN 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/18/19 10:52 a.m.

I got my daughter a color changing light up aquarium air bubbler for her 5th birthday. We put it in and she was enjoying it a lot. I pointed out the cool effect it has on the underside of the surface of the water and she said, "That is the coolest thing I have ever seen." Big smiles all around.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/18/19 12:47 p.m.

Finally got off my butt and swapped out the bad thermostat in my DD.  It was nice to have heat in my ride to work this morning.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/18/19 12:51 p.m.

I got a new sweatshirt. It has a pocket like a hoodie, but no hood. I like pockets, I do not like hoods. It's my favorite. I'm never taking it off. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/18/19 6:47 p.m.

Minor win - started the online application for my Green Card renewal online. Took me about 20 minutes to complete and pay the fee. Pretty good for a government website.

Also, can't believe it's been almost ten years since I moved to the US.

Next step, application for US citizenship once I get the OK from the German government for dual citizenship. That's going to take a while, though.

daeman
daeman Dork
11/21/19 1:08 a.m.

I purchased a 2 stroke posted hole auger yesterday..... Holy E36 M3! I was grappling with the purchase till I fired it up and dug a hole.... Best tool purchase in a while, I may be in love.

2ft x 8in hole in under 30 seconds!!! 

I've got 40 holes to do in the next few days, plus another boundary fence soon, front fence later, probably a deck... The list goes on. 

Power tools are the best!

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/21/19 4:19 p.m.

In reply to daeman :

Makes me think eons ago when I used one from an actual 90hp Ford 5000... If you're in soil with a ton of clay, be careful you don't bury that berkeleyer. It's not fun to dig out an auger by hand. On the other hand, when it works you feel like a superhero!

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/21/19 6:11 p.m.
dculberson said:

I got my daughter a color changing light up aquarium air bubbler for her 5th birthday. We put it in and she was enjoying it a lot. I pointed out the cool effect it has on the underside of the surface of the water and she said, "That is the coolest thing I have ever seen." Big smiles all around.

I'm a lot older than your daughter, but I agree with her...that is really cool looking!

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
11/21/19 8:19 p.m.

Super!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/22/19 8:49 a.m.

The little taqueria down the street from work has really good al pastor.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/22/19 10:03 a.m.

I heard saw the video for the Ramones-style song that somebody made out of Trump's words and had a good laugh.

I needed a good laugh.

1 ... 110 111 112 113 114 ... 292

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IqvqIPag4CAyi17IZL4xluafUVi1xZ5j0nrLkSWpTBP3TremNx45EdDaOgnTPNYb