1 ... 129 130 131 132 133 ... 292
dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/4/20 10:37 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Everyone should have a drain snake, but most regular homeowner grade ones top out at most at 25 feet. I need to get a nice 50 foot one at least, eventually. My house is very long and old - like I said my kitchen sink drain is 2" for 39 feet before it joins the 4" pipe. There aren't any longer 2" runs in the house that I know of. I could just add another cleanout but access is a problem.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/5/20 8:28 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Yes.  I need to go up a size in power unit to get a long enough cable.  They are expensive, though.  The little one I have was $600 or so 30 years ago.

Well, after nearly 2 weeks, our daughter, a Nurse, is finally feeling better.  Yes, she had a confirmed case of Covid 19.  Life IS good.  Now, my wife can step a little further back from the edge........

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/5/20 8:32 a.m.

3 out of 5 washed! 

Wifes van changed color. Its nice to have clean cars. Munchkin and i are gonna go check on the grandparents and blow kisses in the miata. 

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
4/5/20 9:47 a.m.
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) said:

Well, after nearly 2 weeks, our daughter, a Nurse, is finally feeling better.  Yes, she had a confirmed case of Covid 19.  Life IS good.  Now, my wife can step a little further back from the edge........

So happy to hear she is coming out if it.  Our healthcare workers and so many others are really earning their hero badges on this one.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/5/20 9:52 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

In reply to dculberson :

Yes.  I need to go up a size in power unit to get a long enough cable.  They are expensive, though.  The little one I have was $600 or so 30 years ago.

Got mine at harbor freight for $400(?) a number of years ago. It's a 50' wheeled unit and has worked great.

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
4/5/20 4:10 p.m.

All our bees made it through the winter. Gave them a spring feeding and a mite treatment today.

daeman
daeman Dork
4/5/20 4:57 p.m.

In reply to Wayslow :

How long have you been keeping bees and how are you finding it? We're considering a hive, but not sure if we should.

MazdaFace (Forum Supporter)
MazdaFace (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/5/20 7:07 p.m.

Got the kayaks moved from the parents house to our house finally. Been so long since I used the rack that I had to remember how the heck everything strapped down lol. 

Wayslow
Wayslow Dork
4/5/20 7:08 p.m.

In reply to daeman :

We've only been at it for 4 seasons so we're still rookies. It's fun but you will get stung from time to time.

We have a well respected Apiary near us that sells all the supplies and bees. They offer free seminars so we've attended a few. The first one covered all the basics. They took us out in their bee yard and let you open up their hives. A bit intimidating at first but fun once you get into it. The owner and his daughter didn't wear a bee suit or a veil. 
 We also joined our local bee keepers association. They pair you up with an experienced member who's available to help you out. The first thing our guy told us was " Want to kill your bees? Listen to advice from the internet ".

I know there's a few members, on the board, who keep bees. There was a thread awhile ago.

daeman
daeman Dork
4/5/20 7:18 p.m.

In reply to Wayslow :

I  appreciate the feedback, thank you. Given we're going to get increasingly into growing food, it seems kinda logical to have a hive of pollinators on hand. Plus, honey is delicious.

I'm ok with getting stung, thankfully I didn't inherit my father's allergy to bee's.

Sounds like I need to find an experienced local and Branch out from there. I'll go digging for the thread you mentioned.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
4/5/20 7:51 p.m.

Got the Mazda5 out of the garage after some work on it took way more effort than it should have.

Minor win:  The new rear shocks and shock mounts appear to have cured the rattle in the rear suspension.

Minor fail:  The new rear shocks and shock mounts have made it obvious the fronts struts need to be replaced.

Did a Porch Pick up for a well priced old Atlas jointer yesterday. Got it home and unloaded into the garage. Running the dog this morning I ran past a "mini" Crafstman Dunlap table saw, sans motor (which I have extras of) and snowblower at the curb. Got both home this morning. Last curb snowblower I found I ended up getting $80 for, and I'll keep the table saw. Good 2 days in my exploration of novice woodworking.

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/6/20 8:39 a.m.

The new (as in brand new! OEM!) headlights really spruce up the look of the MR2 and it's great to get to exercise it on the way in to work this morning.

Ransom (Forum Supporter)
Ransom (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/8/20 1:59 p.m.

I *think* I've found a storage unit which will take all three long term projects while I have to clear out of the old garage and wait for the new garage.

Now hopefully the world gets close enough to normal for the building permit office to open again before I lose the year...

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/8/20 5:46 p.m.

The newspaper I'm delivering is stopping Saturday service.....so I get a berkeleying day off.

I'm celebrating with scotch for breakfast. Laphroaig 10

wae (Forum Supporter)
wae (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/8/20 6:13 p.m.

My wife and kids beg me to cook Brussels sprouts for them.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/8/20 6:26 p.m.
wae (Forum Supporter) said:

My wife and kids beg me to cook Brussels sprouts for them.

Wnen I was 10 or 11 or so, I asked my mom to make them, and she looked at me like I'd grown a second nose.

She HATED them.  So, she never made them, so, I was curious about them.

Mom didn't DO the whole canned glop thing.  She always bought fresh veggies, just like she always made cookies with real vanilla and real this and real that, which is why her cookies rule.  Anyway.  She figured "eh, some people can be told and some just have to piss on the electric fence" so she humored me and she bought some Brussels sprouts and steamed them.

I liked them.  And she realized that properly steamed fresh sprouts are way, way, way better than canned glop.  So we regularly had them as a side veggie for at least as long as I ever lived at home, which I moved out at 19 but moved back in for a bit because life.

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/9/20 10:17 a.m.

And on the opposite end of the spectrum...

Mr. Hero for lunch.  

Fetch my artery plunger.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/9/20 12:12 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

My sister's kids would eat frozen brussels sprouts on hot days like ice pops.  Yes, they were weird.

I always hated brussels sprouts and DW wasn't a fan either.  Then one time we got them as a prix-fixe appetizer, roasted with a little olive oil, garlic, salt, and crushed red pepper.  I tried them, and they were pretty good.

So we added them to the menu occasionally for a couple years.  Now we're back to not being fans again.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/9/20 12:30 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I cut them in half and put them in a baking dish cut side up, then lay strips of bacon over then and bake until the bacon is done.  Delicious.

And I'm a grown up, I can eat bacon 3 meals a day if I darned well want to!

wae (Forum Supporter)
wae (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/9/20 12:39 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) :

Oh, that sounds good!

I start off by cutting them in half and tossing them in a large bowl with olive oil, salt, pepper, and a tiny bit of either cayenne pepper or chili powder.  Then I saute some very finely chopped garlic and onion in oil and when that's ready, I put the sprouts cut-side-down into the garlic-infused hot oil.  Lid, then cook over medium heat until the cut sides of the sprouts are lightly browned.  Serve immediately.

Next time, though, I'm going to try your bacon method!  Do you use the broiler for that?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
4/9/20 12:52 p.m.

Y'all are weirding me out.  Brussels sprouts are the only food I've eaten that caused me to immediately vomit.  I heard they are actually different than they were when I was a kid, but I'm still not sure I trust them.

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/9/20 12:55 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

Y'all are weirding me out.  Brussels sprouts are the only food I've eaten that caused me to immediately vomit.  I heard they are actually different than they were when I was a kid, but I'm still not sure I trust them.

Did someone soak them in rum first?

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/9/20 12:56 p.m.

Include me on team Brussels Sprout, but most of you know that I'll eat almost anything. I've done the bacon and fresh sprouts thing before and it was amazeballs. I almost had to wrestle my 3 and 5 year olds to get any for myself.

1 ... 129 130 131 132 133 ... 292

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lbNT4aY6eLi5QmZDZt0CR7MCPOglRAiKlq2UtsLS69sZ7pvoyImrRU1GVjUQAU3C