1 ... 133 134 135 136 137 ... 292
Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
4/30/20 11:55 p.m.

Discovered replacing garage door openers is a rewarding chore. Swapping out the steel rollers for polymer ones make it twice as striking the first time you test it out.

If you need to replace one and can comprehend printed instructions, you should do it yourself. The Genie model I installed came with a picture covered poster. The limit adjustments took 10 seconds each and the force is self-adjusting.

Wife is happy so I'm happy. Also, no pending work in my queue so hopefully 3 day weekend.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/20 7:20 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Cats seem to love running water. My wife's friend wanted an automatic waterer for her cat so for Christmas I was sent to get one.  I got this neat one with a fountain, and now the cat will not drink from anything else. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/1/20 7:24 a.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

My understanding of it is cats like it because it means it is likely fresh. Still water has time to get poison in it and algae and all sort of things no one wants to drink. Running water means it's theoretically ok, with no time to sit and marinate. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/1/20 9:56 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

Cats seem to love running water. My wife's friend wanted an automatic waterer for her cat so for Christmas I was sent to get one.  I got this neat one with a fountain, and now the cat will not drink from anything else. 

One of our cats has a drinking problem.  She can't seem to figure out where the end of her nose is, so every attempt to drink starts with a minute or two of dodging, weaving, stuffing her face in, and snorting water out her nose.  Her strongest preference is to drink straight out of the kitchen faucet or the shower.

So we bought her a bubbler a couple years ago, that runs 24/7/365 and gets the water refreshed every day or two.  To my knowledge, she has never drunk from it.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
5/1/20 10:03 a.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

My cats eyeballed the fountain I got them a ways back very suspiciously, but I suspect they’d warm up to one eventually, so I don’t want them deciding a decorative fountain is for drinking out of.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/2/20 3:59 p.m.

I hadn't run my lawn mower (5.0 Hp B&S) in eleven years and I did nothing to prepare it for long term storage as it sat for most of the time at a friend's house who could never get it started BTW.

I let my gardener go since I'm working from home now and I pretty much assumed that I'd be buying a new lawn mower but I decided to give the old one a try first.  No lacquer as the tank was totally dry...changed the oil and was surprised by how reasonable the old stuff looked...inspected the plug (um, yep, that's a plug).  I pulled the start cord a dozenish times without the ignition circuit completed to let the piston ring break any possible rust welds in the cylinder free and to get fresh oil circulated.

I completed the ignition circuit and although it took about ten pulls to get it started, it was clearly on it's way back to life by the third or fourth pull.  The only bummer is that I discovered why there was no gas...the primer bubble had split open and allowed the gas to drain out.

I'm not sure why but once the engine is running, the leak stops.  I guess the carb's suction creates enough negative pressure that the gas just gets sucked right past the split.  I may be running lean due to air coming in through the split; probably should fix that before the next run. 

Anyway, B&S, thanks for doing a nice job on that 5.0 engine.  

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
5/4/20 8:12 a.m.

I somehow was able to score an LS2 intake manifold for $170 shipped. Even if I end up not using it in the future, damn good score.

Now to get a new 5.3 to put it on and find a transmission and a 8.8 and and and...

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/4/20 8:40 a.m.

After 4 attempts on Saturday I was able to hang a replacement door in an existing frame.  My wife and brother painted our whole living room in the time it took me to get one door put in.  The minor win is that I know think I have a decent system down so hopefully the other 4 will go much smoother.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/4/20 8:55 a.m.
Aaron_King said:

After 4 attempts on Saturday I was able to hang a replacement door in an existing frame.  My wife and brother painted our whole living room in the time it took me to get one door put in.  The minor win is that I know think I have a decient system down sohopefully the other 4 will go much smoother.

In my mind that's a double win because you got out of painting the living room.  I hate painting.

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/4/20 9:00 a.m.

I got a great deal on brand new Toyota OEM headlights for my MR2... $157/ea. Then I posted the old headlights on eBay and managed to sell them for $160. I feel pretty great about that one.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/4/20 9:35 a.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

Doors are a pain in the ass, particularly in existing frames.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
5/4/20 10:11 a.m.

Pulling 2 bushes and trimming the other 8 yesterday didn't totally kill my spine, I can walk today! 

secondary win: using the f250 to pull bushes is hilarious. Obnoxious big block sounds and no wheel spin 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
5/4/20 10:52 a.m.

After making his favorite breakfast wedid a family birthday party for my oldest son at a local area favorite, Belle Isle.  Brought snacks, kites, electric scooters, gloves and balls, soccer ball and flying discs.   Hung out by the water and played with the family.  I baked a cake the night before and we decorated it after dinner.  It looked horrible but made great memories for us all.   

Ransom (Forum Supporter)
Ransom (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/4/20 12:36 p.m.
dropstep said:

Pulling 2 bushes and trimming the other 8 yesterday didn't totally kill my spine, I can walk today! 

secondary win: using the f250 to pull bushes is hilarious. Obnoxious big block sounds and no wheel spin 

Hey, I have a big-block F250 and need to pull some hedges out for the new driveway!

Unfortunately, I think the location of the hedges and the 2WDness of the F250 would result in wheelspin on the grass... At least the excavator I'll need for the digging shouldn't have too much trouble pulling them up. I hope.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
5/4/20 7:15 p.m.
Ransom (Forum Supporter) said:
dropstep said:

Hey, I have a big-block F250 and need to pull some hedges out for the new driveway!

Unfortunately, I think the location of the hedges and the 2WDness of the F250 would result in wheelspin on the grass... At least the excavator I'll need for the digging shouldn't have too much trouble pulling them up. I hope.

yeah mine being 4wd certainly helps. The last time I had to pull a shrub I owned a 2wd ranger. I had to run a strap so long I could reach the road out front and it still produced a lot of wheel spin. These shrubs were on the side of the house so it was grass and a gravel alley. 

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/20 8:22 p.m.

Had a buddy call me about the $200 trade in offered on his cousin's meticulously maintained 2000 Saab 9-5 wagon. I told them to refuse the trade in, that they can probably get 10x that for the car, since she is the original owner and it is a rust free Southern car with maintenance records from new.

I think they listened. If that's the case, I might toss it up here in the for sale section.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/5/20 8:32 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) :

I'm in for $250.00

Powar (Forum Supporter)
Powar (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/6/20 8:06 a.m.
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) said:

I think they listened. If that's the case, I might toss it up here in the for sale section.

Absolutely.

My minor win: I hit 3 junkyards yesterday and found what I needed for the last major repair on the R53 Mini. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/6/20 9:10 a.m.
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) said:

Had a buddy call me about the $200 trade in offered on his cousin's meticulously maintained 2000 Saab 9-5 wagon. I told them to refuse the trade in, that they can probably get 10x that for the car, since she is the original owner and it is a rust free Southern car with maintenance records from new.

Oooooohhh I'm interested. Especially if it is a manual. But even if it isn't, I'm interested.

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) HalfDork
5/7/20 9:18 p.m.

Just got an email -- MAY 30th SCCA Test and Tune at MCC in Kansas City! May 31st is Event 5 at MCC.

So I got my SCCA membership for the year, yeah, I know, I should have done that already. blush

I'm going to try for the test and tune, its limited to 60, but autocross lives!

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
5/9/20 11:31 p.m.

Someone put together a cruise in our smallish town today and it was a blast, over 400 cars and motorcycles with only one ticket issued. I even refrained from doing anything too ruin it 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/10/20 12:41 p.m.

Twenty-eight degrees at the house early this morning, but it has warmed up nicely, into the mid-sixties, and wow! what a beautiful day!

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/10/20 5:55 p.m.

My dad was strong enough to be off the ventilator today. According to his nurse he's been breathing by himself, sitting up for a couple of hours now and is doing pretty well with it

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/20 6:00 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

That's fantastic news!!

11GTCS
11GTCS Reader
5/10/20 9:00 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Dude, that’s awesome. Please keep us posted, we’re all up for some good news. 

1 ... 133 134 135 136 137 ... 292

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kUtuEPoYQZKqtFG5x7JfUtSSocX2VsmXW1B35EH0A9iiQtohPZAMCTVkR29QQAo8