1 ... 164 165 166 167 168 ... 292
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Ex-Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/21 10:00 a.m.

I've been removing an old hedgerow made of privet on the back of my property. I'm keeping the wood to use in the fire pit, because why not?

Anyhow, I made a bunch of progress, and had a bunch of cut wood I needed to dry. I was thinking that a pallet on some bricks would be perfect for this, and was set to look on Craigslist for some free pallets in the evening. 

I went to the store on a milk run and somebody had chucked a pallet that had rocks on it (it had a mesh barrier stapled to it) in the back row of the parking lot at the grocery store. Into the 4Runner it went.

Problem solved!

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/9/21 6:43 p.m.

Sadly I have been put on 2nd shift but there is an upside. My wife cannot cook so I do 90% of the cooking, well I cannot do that now. We decided on getting 3 2 person meals a week from one of the packaged meals companies. Now she is learning how to cook and I get to eat good lunches 3x a week.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/9/21 6:58 p.m.

I finally got some good studded mud terrians.

Seems like enough traction, right?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/21 7:26 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Enough to offset the lack of sipes, I assume.

I remember getting stuck on a gentle slope in a first generation Bronco on 35" mud tires, on a dusting of snow.  No sipes, tread compound all wrong.  Felt weird to need to get out and lock the hubs for a situation like that smiley

2/9/21 7:29 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

For the driving I do with that car siping isn't an issue. The other explorer has very siped tires and is a gigantic turd to drive on these roads. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
2/10/21 11:07 p.m.

Once in a while, if you keep an eye out, and even in this crazy world, you can still get lucky. 

That ain't bad. 

2/11/21 12:03 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

Once in a while, if you keep an eye out, and even in this crazy world, you can still get lucky. 

That ain't bad. 

Hell yeah

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
2/11/21 12:28 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

That ain't bad. 

Hell yeah

Wow, I am so glad I stockpiled a ways back.  Of course, lacking time to hit the range helps conserve ammo, too.

barefootskater (Shaun)
2/11/21 1:32 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

I was ecstatic when I found a big box in the basement that I'd bought years ago, before I even had a 9. That one I just bought should be about $12, but I've not seen it that cheap in years, so I'll gladly pay $16 these days. Even if there's a 1 box limit. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/11/21 2:06 p.m.

I had a short, but poignant epiphany. Most people work a career job for however long, retire. Many pursue retirement gigs for something to do. One of my co workers is just that. After a couple tours in vietnam, years on a drug task force as law enforcement and later a sheriff deputy, he hangs out here to get away from his wife. He has 3 retirements and disability from the marines. He doesn't need $$$. 

I'm 25 years younger and working the same job. While I don't have quite what he has, I have a few bucks. Enough that working here is basically semi-retirement for me. I've had to make several large compromises in the process, but it makes me feel a lot better about pay and workload when I realize all of that. 

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
2/11/21 3:08 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Enough to offset the lack of sipes, I assume.

I remember getting stuck on a gentle slope in a first generation Bronco on 35" mud tires, on a dusting of snow.  No sipes, tread compound all wrong.  Felt weird to need to get out and lock the hubs for a situation like that smiley

19 year old me figured I could drive my rodeo in the winter on the 31/11.50 swampers. I was very wrong because they turned into giant snowballs. My grabbers on the truck seem to do fine though.

for today's win, my wife found a really good deal on beef jerky. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/11/21 3:25 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Family friend retired as fire chief, works second pension as a fire inspector in another town then marries his second wife with her pension.  2 social securities and 3 pensions.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/11/21 9:16 p.m.

Out of the Ultrasling after total shoulder joint replacement #2.

Hope to never be in that piece of "durable medical equipment" again-- that was the third surgery I've recovered from wearing that damn thing.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/21 9:17 p.m.

2/11/21 9:25 p.m.

My driving is primarily dirt roads with poor or no plowing. I've lived here for over 2 decades of driving and after many different sets of tires, studded mud terrians work exceptionally well. 

I know the science behind it, I know everyone's opinion on it but highly siped tires or standard snow tires work like utter poop for me. Cooper Weather Masters were probably the worst tire ive ever used in winter, worse than slightly bald no terrians.

I do not know why, but I do know what works

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/11/21 9:28 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Sweet!

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/12/21 4:41 a.m.

Scrap guy is bringing the whole parts truck here for me to get my stuff off of. For an extra $20! Now i get to guy it at my own house,  with the full tool chest and everything. Sucks that it will still be outside,  but the service body wouldn't fot through the door.....

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/12/21 8:59 a.m.

So, yeah, I looked at this for a surprisingly long time trying to figure out what combination of information you were covering up, craigslist style.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/21 10:34 p.m.

Spent a few hours cleaning up and rearranging a bit, then got my new welding station put together

My welds still suck, but at least now I've got a good work area.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
2/15/21 5:08 p.m.

This morning I get an email from Paypal, the dispute was awarded in your customers favour, and we are charging you a $20 dispute fee.

Let me tell you, I berkeleying HATE Paypal and for the second time in as many months I'm on the horn with them asking why I'm paying for doing the right thing? Buddy agreed to buy parts and paid after I gave him the shipping quote, and told him I will ONLY ship to the address in your account. Address to ship? Florida. Address in account? Puerto Rico. He pleads, I say no way. He submits item never arrived dispute. I explain my end. Paypal sides with him, fine he'll get his money back, but they charge me $20 for the pleasure.

I call, tell them what transpired, and how I did exactly what they say to do, so why am I out $20? You could have shipped it regardless she says, he wasn't covered on that transaction. Well why did he get his money back, and did you not notice that he paid and filed the dispute within a few hours? Yes sir, you're right. I'll give you a $20 voucher to cover that, I'm so sorry.

I check when I get off the phone. Yup. She must have been confused because she gave me the $60 he disputed, and not the $20 dispute refund.

In the past month I'm up $340 plus a Trampoline on that Amazon screw up, $500 on an accidental over payment - something I've been waiting almost a year for, another screw up, and now $60 from Paypal.

That one feels the best

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
2/15/21 5:50 p.m.

PayPal is weird now, I got a core back from a caliper I sent to advance and it went through my PayPal account and directly to my bank. Why? Fine to sit there in my account. 

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
2/15/21 8:46 p.m.

I think they take particular pleasure in raping Canadians, but so far they’ve credited my account for every one of the dubious charges when I’ve called and bitched.

This  time it was a voucher not a credit but I needed furnace filters and ended up with a years supply mostly on PayPal 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) Dork
2/17/21 1:55 p.m.

We are (as of thiss afternoon!) scheduled to go to the hospital this evening to have our baby! I can't wait to find out whether it's a girl or a boy. 

barefootskater (Shaun)
2/17/21 2:00 p.m.

In reply to classicJackets (FS) :

Congrats! 

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/21 3:05 p.m.
classicJackets (FS) said:

We are (as of thiss afternoon!) scheduled to go to the hospital this evening to have our baby! I can't wait to find out whether it's a girl or a boy. 

Congrats!  We waited to find out gender until the birth too.  It's one of life's great surprises!

1 ... 164 165 166 167 168 ... 292

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UgtyyetsRye0pQvIZw10H7mhTDzxwr14HVs9yOYR27fZVXvBLsvxOLTmBO4putuL