1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 292
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/17 12:57 p.m.

for $100 dollars shipped, I got the peeling paint on my Discovery's right Fender (wing) fixed. Amazing how much better a used fender in the same colour looks than one with peeling clear coat. Next I need to get the hood replaced.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/17 1:01 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

Take a razor blade and chip/shave the peeling clearcoat from the hood out to a body line if possible, and spray clear paint over it. You might save yourself the trouble of getting another hood.

mad_machine
5/21/17 1:59 p.m.
Knurled wrote: In reply to mad_machine: Take a razor blade and chip/shave the peeling clearcoat from the hood out to a body line if possible, and spray clear paint over it. You might save yourself the trouble of getting another hood.

I wish it were that easy. Sometime in my Disco's past I am certain it was involved in an accident. The fender, bumper cover, underheadlight trim and hood have all been repainted at that corner. All of them have had chipping and peeling clear coat which none of the other panels on the truck have.

The hood itself is a special case, the entire thing is covered in tiny little spiderwebs of cracked clearcoat. It no longer even polishes up, it always looks semi-flat. I am thinking whomever res-hot that corner of the rover didn't know how to paint aluminum

Knurled
5/21/17 2:17 p.m.

Seriously, try it. Throwing clear over the "faded" matte look colorcoat makes it look great again.

You have nothing to lose if you're just going to replace it anyway, right?

The key is removing as much of the clear as possible with a sharp razor. There will always be a "beach line" where you can see the edge of the old clear, which is why it'd be good to hide it on an existing body crease.

If the clear is as bad as you say, a very shallow angle with the razor blade will take it off like you wouldn't believe. It can be time consuming to go over the whole hood with a 1" piece of metal. When I did my RX-7s hood I used wireless headphones and a few hours of music to get it done.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/21/17 4:09 p.m.

Knurled is right. I used this technique on a black '94 Probe GT, but when I got to where the clear was still properly adhering, I wet-sanded the "beach" line. Then I shot the area with gloss clear hardware store rattle-can paint and it came out really good.

mad_machine
5/21/17 6:10 p.m.

I will give it a try. Like you said, nothing to lose

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
5/22/17 6:33 a.m.

We put our house on the market last Friday and three days later we've got multiple offers over list price. It's a nice reward after we put in so much work to get it market ready.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
5/25/17 9:45 a.m.

Just got an alert from my CC company. I paid for a trip with it last month and promptly paid it off (I know, right?)

But using it for a $4,000 purchase earned me $55 in reward money. I just transferred it to my savings account and feel all sorts of grown up.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
5/25/17 9:50 a.m.
bastomatic wrote: We put our house on the market last Friday and three days later we've got multiple offers over list price. It's a nice reward after we put in so much work to get it market ready.

Congratulations. It's a seller's market right now.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/17 9:58 a.m.

I just rotated and balanced the tires on the Abomination.

I didn't have to go to a tire store.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/25/17 10:44 a.m.

I bought Etherum at $9 a couple months ago. It's at $200 now. Sure, it was a tiny amount of throwaway money. The sort of money one could spend on lunch. I'm not going to retire on this, but that lunch money is now weekend getaway money.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/25/17 1:55 p.m.
Mike wrote: I bought Etherum at $9 a couple months ago. It's at $200 now. Sure, it was a tiny amount of throwaway money. The sort of money one could spend on lunch. I'm not going to retire on this, but that lunch money is now weekend getaway money.

Dang. I'm always late on these trains. I need to follow this stuff more closely.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot New Reader
5/26/17 1:44 p.m.

Just landed a job that I feel will become a career. Base salary + commission, company car, interesting work on interesting equipment. I'm super happy

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/26/17 1:46 p.m.

In reply to Crxpilot:

Congrats, maing!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/17 1:48 p.m.
AWSX1686 wrote:
Mike wrote: I bought Etherum at $9 a couple months ago. It's at $200 now. Sure, it was a tiny amount of throwaway money. The sort of money one could spend on lunch. I'm not going to retire on this, but that lunch money is now weekend getaway money.
Dang. I'm always late on these trains. I need to follow this stuff more closely.

Was trying to buy $50 in BTC and convert half of it into another cryptocurrency (which I still think is going to skyrocket in value soon) around the end of the year, but let me tell you, buying cryptocurrencies with anything but a bank transfer is HARD. Eventually all the paperwork wore me down and I gave up.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/26/17 3:11 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Coinbase is pretty easy to work with. I don't think it was any more effort than setting up Paypal.

daeman
daeman Dork
5/26/17 7:53 p.m.

I just bought a rebuilt Mazda f2 engine for $300, it came with receipts, a new clutch, a rebuilt gearbox (also with receipts), 3 oil filters and a free 6'x4' box trailer which the guy used to deliver the engine to me with. If I decide not to keep the trailer I'll probably make money buying myself an engine. Otherwise if I just sell the gearbox I'll go close to breaking even. I'm so stoked.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/26/17 9:21 p.m.

New trans is slid home. Should be able to get power through it tomorrow.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/17 7:45 a.m.
Mike wrote: In reply to GameboyRMH: Coinbase is pretty easy to work with. I don't think it was any more effort than setting up Paypal.

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention all the goddamn region restrictions. There are many and coinbase is one of most I can't use because of them.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/27/17 2:06 p.m.

Looking into the clutch slave failure on the Manic Miata, I see the PO already replaced the soft / coil piece between the hard line and the slave with a braided hose, and the clutch master looks pretty new also. Which is awesome, because there is almost no access to the firewall, or even above-to-below, on the car.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
5/27/17 5:05 p.m.

New guns work well at range. Wife took two hour training course with me and she is a much better shot then before.

Love my new Buckmark 22lr target URX, thing was monster expensive but no recoil and shoots like a dream. Best 22lr I have ever shot.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
5/28/17 10:42 a.m.

New brewing company is starting to get going. Back to working properly starting next week.

Can't share too many details of the situation just yet. Will dedicate a full thread when we have an official announcement about what is happening and has been going on. For now, I'm excited to be back on track to what I want to be doing.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/28/17 11:04 a.m.

When I should have been throwing tools in the garage after a 18 hour day, I figured out that I could use the end of a drill bit to use as the replacement end of my customized throttle cable.

Knurled
5/28/17 4:01 p.m.

I made it home!

This is more of an accomplishment than it really should be. What was a minor occasional stutter at part throttle turned into needing heavy throttle to run smoothly (think accelerating up hill at 80mph, and this is with a heavy-ish tire trailer).

Which turned into needing WOT to run smoothly.

Which turned into needing to run at WOT in a very narrow RPM range in order to run almost as good as it was misfiring at first.

By the time I got to my garage, it needed WOT in a narrow RPM range in order to kinda-sorta run. On one rotor.

I am thinking that either my MSD or the ignition coils have E36 M3 the bed. Engine seemed to have great compression when I had the plugs out of it.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/17 12:09 a.m.

21 people. 28lbs of meat, plus sides and sauces. Adding up the long term prep, call it 30 hours over the last month, plus 9.5 hours of cooking today.

Zero problems, zero complaints. And no one got their car stuck in the yard, so bonus. The leftovers are surprisingly minimal as well, still a E36 M3load, but not what I expected.

1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 292

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jmWLQuqEjAp2XI2AVOw64L5jMBtG7kALlKSQ48b4J9ACU7R6u2hSwZAsVJRjnRbx