1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 59
fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/14/18 1:18 a.m.

Went to fetch the mail at 1:30 a.m., 10° and 85' walk to the box. 

Somebody cleaned over 100' of my sidewalk after a previous night of freezing rain and then snow. Gotta be a neighbor but which one? 

I treated 'em all good clearing walks and driveways when out w/ the snowblower last year w/ 20" of overnight snow dump. 

Nice to have good neighbors. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
1/14/18 5:12 a.m.

In reply to fasted58 :

I went to clear the driveway yesterday morning and the next door neighbor already did it for me.  The most I ever do in return is not be a complete a-hole.  Which, from some peoples' rants, may be a larger favor than I give it credit for.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/14/18 3:56 p.m.

Loaned out a spare car.  It came back freshly washed, gassed up, and with a very nice bottle of bourbon!  Very pleased laugh

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
1/14/18 6:50 p.m.

Pulled a half second out of my ass on the last run of the day.  

Good enough for top raw *and* top PAX.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/14/18 7:17 p.m.

Mrs. Deuce made a chocolate cake so good that 3/4 kids couldn't finish it. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/15/18 9:11 a.m.

Got all our chores done on Saturday, so DW and I spent Sunday playing Diablo III together... and other things.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
1/15/18 11:59 a.m.

Got more snow then expected last night, got to drive too work in fresh powder before the plows and traffic turn it too mush. I love fresh snow.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
1/15/18 12:32 p.m.

This might belong in its own "major win" thread, but ...

I have had NINE MONTHS of very little sleep. I love my little daughter but a sleeper she is not. I haven't slept more than a few short hours in a row since last April. We've tried various sleep training methods with little success.  She had a nasty stomach virus -> cold -> RSV chain of illnesses that made the last few weeks really, really rough on all of us. Then on Saturday we tried the "Ferber method" of sleep training. We were reluctant as my wife is not excited about letting the little one cry. I mean, who is? But we all need to sleep so she needs to learn. We made it official - even shook hands on it - and decided to just go on Saturday. No "recovery" period from the illness or anything. We were prepared for a week from hell. And what happens? NIGHT ONE: One hour of crying at bedtime with the required short comforting trips in defined intervals. She falls asleep finally, and so do we. Midnight rolls around - already this is an unusual amount of sleep to have - and she cried for three minutes so I go comfort her. DO NOT pick her up, DO NOT spend more than 1-2 minutes in there, don't even put her pacifier in, she has to figure out how to do that. Instead I put the pacifier in her hand and she immediately puts it in her own mouth. She's asleep before I leave the room. Next thing I know it's 6am and she's ready for a morning feeding. What just happened?

NIGHT TWO: One half hour of crying at bedtime. OK, great, she's doing better. 11pm rolls around and she has a dirty diaper - dang changing it disrupted her sleep but two periods of comforting her and she puts herself to sleep halfway through one of the 10-minute "cry it out" period. And she sleeps until 8-freakin-AM.

I am a new man. I have slept over 5 hours in a row for two nights in a row for literally the first time in nine months. I don't know what to do with myself. My wife got a run in this morning. I feel like I see a light at the end of the tunnel and I'm just trying to figure out if it's a train or the exit. Is this really working? Am I really awake?

Man, if this really works out this well, I'm sending Dr. Ferber a thousand bucks, this is incredible.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
1/15/18 12:40 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

You ain't the first, ain't the last, but oh my sweet calico kitten, the lousy sleep is the worst thing about the little darlings...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/15/18 1:48 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

We tried that with... moderate success.  They learned how to go to sleep better at night, but gave up on afternoon naps entirely.  I remember sitting at the bottom of the stairs hearing DD#1 crying and calling for us.  You want to have your heart strings tugged?  Listen to your first born sniffling and  saying "All gone daddy..." to herself through a closed bedroom door. sad

Congratulations, seriously.  I am convinced that 20% of divorces happen because parents of young kids just don't understand how badly chronic fatigue berks you up, and how much you need to allow for it in each other.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
1/15/18 2:14 p.m.
dculberson said:

This might belong in its own "major win" thread, but ...

I have had NINE MONTHS of very little sleep. I love my little daughter but a sleeper she is not. I haven't slept more than a few short hours in a row since last April. We've tried various sleep training methods with little success.  She had a nasty stomach virus -> cold -> RSV chain of illnesses that made the last few weeks really, really rough on all of us. Then on Saturday we tried the "Ferber method" of sleep training. We were reluctant as my wife is not excited about letting the little one cry. I mean, who is? But we all need to sleep so she needs to learn. We made it official - even shook hands on it - and decided to just go on Saturday. No "recovery" period from the illness or anything. We were prepared for a week from hell. And what happens? NIGHT ONE: One hour of crying at bedtime with the required short comforting trips in defined intervals. She falls asleep finally, and so do we. Midnight rolls around - already this is an unusual amount of sleep to have - and she cried for three minutes so I go comfort her. DO NOT pick her up, DO NOT spend more than 1-2 minutes in there, don't even put her pacifier in, she has to figure out how to do that. Instead I put the pacifier in her hand and she immediately puts it in her own mouth. She's asleep before I leave the room. Next thing I know it's 6am and she's ready for a morning feeding. What just happened?

NIGHT TWO: One half hour of crying at bedtime. OK, great, she's doing better. 11pm rolls around and she has a dirty diaper - dang changing it disrupted her sleep but two periods of comforting her and she puts herself to sleep halfway through one of the 10-minute "cry it out" period. And she sleeps until 8-freakin-AM.

I am a new man. I have slept over 5 hours in a row for two nights in a row for literally the first time in nine months. I don't know what to do with myself. My wife got a run in this morning. I feel like I see a light at the end of the tunnel and I'm just trying to figure out if it's a train or the exit. Is this really working? Am I really awake?

Man, if this really works out this well, I'm sending Dr. Ferber a thousand bucks, this is incredible.

It works.  It usually only takes a few days too.

 

This caused more fights with Momma and Me than any other thing.  She cried more than the baby did that first night....

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/15/18 6:18 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Yeah, we knew from day one that sleep was gonna be important.   The baby mamma would go to sleep at 9 pm (cause she could) and I'd stay up taking care of the little darlings till midnight.  Then went to sleep myself and at the 3 am feeding, BM would have had 6 straight hours of sleep.  Which she'd follow up with a couple more after the feed and I'd get up at 6.  

Both kids took to this schedule immediately and within 8 weeks for the boy and 10 for the girl they dropped the 3 am feed and we were golden.  Pacifiers went away by 3 months as well, no good comes of getting into that habit.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
1/15/18 6:53 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:
G_Body_Man said:

The school's looking into getting me press passes for the Toronto Autoshow, and I'm going on a date on Monday!

So how did the date go?

Really well. We're both into a lot of the same music, so that's good. We still have to find time for a second one, but hey. Take things one step at a time.

 

Also I realized that the G35 will have payed for itself by the end of next month so that's pretty sweet.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
1/18/18 5:02 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

This week I have received the news that due to some restructuring of our team at work, I now have the opportunity to seek new employment. (this is not based on any performance failures or shortcomings on my part, just unfortunate circumstances). Normally this would classify as a rant, but I have been approached by a few other teams in the office who are interested in me and I have some interviews lined up. My current boss has given me glowing recommendations. Don't know where I'll land yet, but things are looking good at this point. Fingers crossed.

As a follow up to this post, I have received three offers and today I accepted an offer from the team where I believe I can offer the most (and was honestly the most excited to work with of the three). I start Feb 1st. Very excite. laugh

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
1/18/18 5:06 p.m.

my duster is almost ready for megasquirt tuning!!!!!!!!!

literally 5 things on the list:

fix thermostat housing, refill coolant, torque lug nuts, check air pressure, confirm base timing at operating temp. 

 

im more excited than i really should be

imgon
imgon Reader
1/18/18 5:27 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

Congrats on the new gig, hope it lasts a  nice long time.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/19/18 8:41 a.m.

Microwave scrambled eggs. 

Never had done it, and had to try it due to stove issues. Turned out a lot better than I expected. Fast and fluffy. 

NickD
NickD UltraDork
1/19/18 8:58 a.m.

Yesterday got pulled into the  break room by the boss and figured I was about to get in trouble for something. Instead he told me that the company really appreciates the fact that I'm always there, never call in, stay late and work Saturdays and that they were giving me a dollar an hour raise. Particularly great timing, considering I just blew my financial load on a supercharger kit.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/19/18 9:19 a.m.
NickD said:

Yesterday got pulled into the  break room by the boss and figured I was about to get in trouble for something. Instead he told me that the company really appreciates the fact that I'm always there, never call in, stay late and work Saturdays and that they were giving me a dollar an hour raise. Particularly great timing, considering I just blew my financial load on a supercharger kit.

A conscientious work ethic always pays off .............Great News!!!!!

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/19/18 9:20 a.m.
EastCoastMojo said:
EastCoastMojo said:

This week I have received the news that due to some restructuring of our team at work, I now have the opportunity to seek new employment. (this is not based on any performance failures or shortcomings on my part, just unfortunate circumstances). Normally this would classify as a rant, but I have been approached by a few other teams in the office who are interested in me and I have some interviews lined up. My current boss has given me glowing recommendations. Don't know where I'll land yet, but things are looking good at this point. Fingers crossed.

As a follow up to this post, I have received three offers and today I accepted an offer from the team where I believe I can offer the most (and was honestly the most excited to work with of the three). I start Feb 1st. Very excite. laugh

Congrats!!!!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
1/19/18 9:28 a.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

Hell yeah!

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Hell yeah!

In reply to NickD :

Hell yeah!

NickD
NickD UltraDork
1/19/18 9:52 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

You get a "Hell yeah!" and you get a "Hell yeah!" and you get a "Hell yeah!" Everybody gets a "Hell yeah!"

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
1/19/18 10:00 a.m.
alfadriver said:

Microwave scrambled eggs. 

Never had done it, and had to try it due to stove issues. Turned out a lot better than I expected. Fast and fluffy. 

Hmmm. I might have to try that myself!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/19/18 10:11 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

Just found a few recipes on line for it, but we had an old 70’s era cookbook.

melt 1t butter

whip in one egg and 1t milk

45 sec on high, stirring halfway. 

Up proportionate to # of eggs. 

RevRico
RevRico UltraDork
1/19/18 10:14 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

For some reason I thought you learned the lesson I did just after high school. 

28 seconds to hard boil in the shell, 31 to scramble it all over the microwave.  

Someone jokingly gave me an old microwave as a graduation present, so we put all the things you're not supposed to put in a microwave in it. If we could have grown up a couple years later, that's now a pretty big YouTube channel.

1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 59
Our Preferred Partners
oeVmR2Y3jpaxLxrnQKBZOGAjfW8oEEAt