1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 291
imgon
imgon Reader
3/17/18 12:30 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Hellava way to diet, hope you feel better soon.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
3/17/18 3:03 p.m.
Hal said:
Dusterbd13 said:

In reply to 93EXCivic :

After how many years and with what maintenance?

We got 25 years with no maintenance from ours.

If you dig a trench and fill with gravel it keeps the water away and they last longer - my dad always used RR ties and they rotted.  Once a group of yellow jackets built a new in the rotting wood and I went near to end up with a lot of them stinging my sock.  

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/17/18 3:17 p.m.
imgon said:

In reply to RevRico :

Hellava way to diet, hope you feel better soon.

Yesterday was my first solid food since Tuesday. I'm just glad the combination of fever and cold sweats is over, nothing like burning up and freezing at the same time to make death sound appealing. 

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
3/17/18 7:34 p.m.

Wife called and argued with the cable company earlier this week about the cable/internet bill.

Threatened to cancel it all. Now we get Velocity and probably some other new channels and all in HD.

Watching Graveyard Carz for the first time ever! They're working on Mopars to boot! What are the odds?? laugh

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/18 11:56 p.m.

Velocity is good. Grave yard cars has become stupid. Use to be just barley watchable but something changed (probably me) and now I would like nothing more than to see the owner Mark something be bitch slapped. I will watch the cartoon fairly odd parents before watching that show. 

SaltyDog
SaltyDog Reader
3/18/18 11:42 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Last night was the only episode I've seen. I can see where the hosts will get old fast.

After that, some show made up from internet clips then a 10 year old Overhaulin, so Velocity might not be such a win after all.

Bummer.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/19/18 11:58 a.m.

I go to one of the pizza places near my work often enough that at least some of the staff know me by name and start getting my order ready when I walk in the door, always a welcoming feeling. On top of that, today I decided to get a milkshake after I was done with my pizza and bring a milkshake back for one of my coworkers.  I go up to the counter, order the milkshakes, and the one staff member made them and said I was good to go. (As in, no charge.) Win! laugh The same staff member has also given me a discount on one previous occasion as well. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/18 5:13 p.m.

Couldn't find the steering shaft for my Volvo from any of the usual suspects.

Say, who's that GRM sponsor...  FCP Euro.

They had it with free shipping for only $78.  They also have the heated mirror glass I need for $22.  (I was expecting that to hurt for hundreds)

They also have the Volvo trailer wiring kit and trailer control module for $200 combined.  (It does neat things like change your shiftpoints and throttle response when towing.  Not sure if it alters the handling too)  I heard on Swedespeed that this should set me back $500.  SOON

Knurled.
3/19/18 6:23 p.m.

And then I got run into a curb by a somnambulant zombie in a CR-V who didn't understand what lanes and/or mirrors were.

Why this in the minor win thread?

The wheels appear to be flat faced or even convex, but they are actually juuust slightly concave, so curbstrikes only hit the very edge.  The hit (well, double hit) was so hard that I was expecting far worse, including flat tires.  There was an impressive cloud of dust.

Between this and berking up my left wrist/forearm at work today, I was despondent and pissed off enough to say berk it, I'ma enter teh R in April's rallycross.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/19/18 6:28 p.m.

Minor win:

My alternator just spit the rear bearing out and broke the case. Why a win? Did it backing into the shop for a bunch of service work. Never a better time!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
3/20/18 7:18 a.m.

Follow up win: alternator on Amazon with shipping was 1/3 the price of the FLAPS 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
3/22/18 1:02 p.m.

I just got "cat called".  Stepped off the elevator at work on my way to fix a thing and a woman who I've seen a few times says "hey good-lookin".  

"Ha! Thanks, that's good for the ego." I respond.

"Honey you're good for my eyes."

Ya know, it did feel good to be appreciated for my aesthetic.  I didn't feel harassed, hassled, abused, or anything negative.  Just a nice complement that made me feel good.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
3/22/18 1:16 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

One day I was dragging and a random middle aged lady looked and me and smiled.  (I’m old so it was good)   

Something that simple encouraged me.  

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
3/22/18 2:00 p.m.

The railroad gets rid of the ties after they have they have reached a certain age.

So they are already old when you get them.

Knurled.
3/22/18 8:02 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

When my grandmother was in the drawn out process of dying, the end-of-life counselors from the hospital who came by with a goodie bag of various medicines and painkillers seemed VERY interested when I walked in the door.

No, it doesn't necessarily feel bad to be "measured up" sometimes, does it?

Knurled.
3/23/18 9:14 p.m.

Scratch and dent at Summit, because 25% off until the end of the month and the weekends are best avoided unless you like listening to screaming kids and dealing with people blocking the aisles while they bullE36 M3 with their friends oblivious to the world around them (the shopping equivalent of LLBs - "I'm here, berk you")

Book about the history of the Ford Cortina.  $5.  GRAB.

Book about the history of the Rover V8.  $10.  GRAB.

Another book about Cortinas.  $5.  GRAB.

Nothing else useful, but for $16 and change, including sales tax, I bought three big books about English product that interest me.  Now, I generally have grave doubts as to the veracity of ANYTHING written on that side of the pond, given the classist (I assume) tendency to be wrong about technical matters on purpose.  But, to paraphrase Douglas (N.) Adams, where the books are wrong, they will at least be definitively wrong.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
3/24/18 9:36 a.m.

Got the Miata's drain plug heli-coiled with the pan on the engine and the engine in the car!

Note to self: next time I'm building an engine, check to make sure some berkeleying animal hasn't destroyed the threads in the oil pan before installing it

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/28/18 4:59 p.m.

Dungeness crabs for dinner. Not nearly as cheap as when I lived in CA(seriously quadruple the price coming across the country), but just as delicious. 

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
3/28/18 6:34 p.m.

Went to the Oncologist today. Blood work clear, colonoscopy results clear and CAT scan results clear. Two years cancer free and counting.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
3/28/18 7:10 p.m.

My Dad gets to come home tomorrow after his open-heart LVAD surgery in January. Almost 3 straight months of rehab and tune-ups...

He’ll continue therapy up here, but at least he gets to be home.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
3/28/18 7:33 p.m.

Last week I threw plugs/wires/filters/oil/pcv and a gallon of lacquer thinner at the S-10.  Now emissions/registration/parking are good for two years. smiley

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/18 8:35 p.m.

Cross-post from TIL thread:  Honda Customer Service is going to goodwill a TSB for me even though the extended warranty expired 3 months ago.   It's a $2600 job.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
3/29/18 6:47 p.m.

Still have some joint pain but no painkillers the last 3 days and today I walked without crutches for the first time in 3 weeks! Hopefully this progress continues and I go back too work monday.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/31/18 9:59 p.m.

Ordered a set of $22 ratcheting crimpers on Amazon in preparation for wiring up the Spitfire. Titan brand I think. Did a couple test crimps, and have to say, they are awesome! Makes the crimps nice and solid!

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
4/3/18 9:18 a.m.

The lads from Villanova earned me $70.  Yay sportsball!!

1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 ... 291

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BOtsDSfVDh9FZsHrFRQ8josDy7eerkk2fHGH4AWKt52H2kjr5aUCBskmBfvwLfBr