1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 292
Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/16/18 8:54 p.m.

Found a second door hinge pin kit for the F-250 after cracking a bushing on the first one, and got everything buttoned up with a minimum of fuss. Well, minimum excluding not ruining that first bushing.

And now, the real minor win part: The door doesn't drop when you open it, and isn't being pulled up by the striker when you shut it. It shuts easily and smoothly. It is awesome.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
10/18/18 9:57 a.m.

After an entire year of sitting in the yard looking sad, the GTA is inside the shop and work has actually started. I'm pretty excited.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/18/18 2:18 p.m.

It'snot cancer!!!!!!

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/18/18 2:31 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

I think that's a bit more than "minor win"

awesome!

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
10/18/18 3:36 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Great News!

MAJOR WIN!!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/18/18 3:41 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Awesome news! laugh So, what is it?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/18/18 4:17 p.m.

Hopefully it will be stripper glitter and calcified cocaine. 

They don't know yet, and my lung doctor will hopefully know on my follow up appointment next friday 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/18/18 4:43 p.m.

I got a job interview for an IT position (network operation center). The only problem is that it is 2600 miles away in Greensboro, NC. I'd have to sell most of everything I own just be able to afford to move out there. That gives me pause.

But Greensboro seems like a really nice place to live. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
10/18/18 4:52 p.m.
stanger_missle said:

I got a job interview for an IT position (network operation center). The only problem is that it is 2600 miles away in Greensboro, NC. I'd have to sell most of everything I own just be able to afford to move out there.

My son moved from Irvine, CA to Boston and owned about $1000 worth of furniture/mattress.  Quotes went from $1800 to $3000 to move and store it for a month.  

He decided to sell it all and pack it all into his Sentra and hustle it home for a month before moving to Boston.  

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/18/18 4:56 p.m.

In reply to stanger_missle :

Greensboro really is a neat city. Im about an hour and a half away, and if theres anything i can do for you out here, let me know!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/19/18 6:12 a.m.

My wife told me to go ahead and sign up for the SAE Vehicle Dynamics course in March, so I did. I'm excited to see what I can learn and see if I can pick up some teaching techniques for the things I think I know already. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/19/18 7:19 a.m.

Finally did the cap and rotor on the e28 last night, fixed the misfire and gave it a heck of a lot more power again! I honestly forgot what it was like when it was running properly. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
10/22/18 2:36 p.m.

Essentially took possession of the new apt. today but won't bother moving in until the 1st.  Still renting a place.  It will enable me to take delivery of the mattress on Sat. and maybe buy and put down the required area rugs.  Heck even move all my crap in before my first night if I'm not too lazy.

It was also the first time seeing it even after paying deposit and rent earlier.  My female friends think I'm crazy.

Also a storage cage in the basement conveys so tool storage yay. I will have to figure out whose crap is in there and get it gone. That'll allow me to ditch the $150 a month garage.

900 sq ft.  2br.  Solo living.  Life is good. smiley

Improve your credit score folk it makes a difference.

stanger_missle
10/22/18 3:43 p.m.
stanger_missle said:

I got a job interview for an IT position (network operation center). The only problem is that it is 2600 miles away in Greensboro, NC. I'd have to sell most of everything I own just be able to afford to move out there. That gives me pause.

But Greensboro seems like a really nice place to live. 

Well, it was just a quick preliminary phone interview but it seems like something might come of this because they want to do a follow-up phone interview with the head network engineer and CEO (gulp surprise) sometime this week. He was kinda surprised that I would be willing to move across the country for a $35-40k salary. Hey, it's more than I'm making now and it would get my foot in the door at a smallish IT company where I can grow.

I'm nervous but super excited at the possibility.

Now, so much to do; shed vehicles and stuff to be in a better position to possibly move 2600 miles.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
10/22/18 11:07 p.m.

Used Eibach springs from a Probe $60 craigslist find

new Gabriel struts $76 shipped for all four corners and the rears ended up being repackaged KYB

new KYB rear strut mounts $22 shipped 

Lowered the snot out of the MX6 with new (albeit not performance or maybe even high quality) struts for less than 200. 

Starion wheels are pretty aggressive offset, rubbed like all hell. Ride with my buddy around the block smoked all the mosquitoes out with the finest burned chinese rubber. Even just me was still rubbing. Luckily my sister's boyfriend left an eastwood roller at my house after doing my sister's car. Couple of passes and no more rubbing. 

Looks so good now and took my son for a spin, chirped the tires and the GFB recirculating bypass valve makes enough noise to elicit grins even at stock turbo power. 

AWSX1686
10/23/18 7:47 a.m.

Good luck man. If we had an open position on my contract I could probably get you in for a decent chunk more than that in pay for Frederick, MD. I then commute 45 minutes and live where it's cheap. 

AWSX1686
10/23/18 7:48 a.m.

Spitfire sold last night, less than I wanted, but now I have money that I didn't and more importantly, space in the garage. 

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/23/18 7:59 a.m.
Aaron_King said:

My 15 year old and I spent half of Saturday and half of Sunday replacing the rear struts on my In laws car and replacing the logic board in their garage door opener and my son seemed to have a good time hanging out with his dad and grandpa.

Any time a 15 YO wants to hang with the old guys its a good thing. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
10/23/18 10:23 a.m.

Despite winter closing in fast, for some reason I'm in a really hopeful good mood lately. I think I've got a couple big issues figured out in my head, now just time to execute them. Having a path and a plan is always so much better than languishing in uncertainty.

It's like finally finding first after being in neutral and grinding gears for a while.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/23/18 11:03 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

There's hope, yet. I'm stuck in reverse. 

wae
wae SuperDork
10/24/18 9:21 a.m.

I was able to successfully remove the intake manifold, replace the intake manifold gaskets, replace the intake manifold, and replace the stupid and brittle quick disconnect for the heater hose on my sisters old '97 K1500 pickup.  I'm still a little shocked that the going rate for that work appears to be around $1,300, but for about $100 and around 8 hours of my time, I've got a temporary tow pig.  Damn thing runs better than a Mercedes! *ba-dum-ching*

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/18 9:31 a.m.

So tell them you'd be happy to accept more $

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/24/18 9:48 a.m.

Good luck.

stanger_missle
10/24/18 10:22 p.m.

Thanks guys. The interview didn't happen today but got rescheduled to Friday. No worries.

I also received another email from a recruiter from a large government contractor looking for a technician to work in their NOC in Tampa. From what I can gather, it is nearly the same type of job I was doing when I was stationed there from 2010 to 2014.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw it was in Tampa. I still have a few friends there that I was stationed with. Those 4 years were easily the best of my career. Maybe my life. I would go back in a heartbeat.

I have a phone interview for that position tomorrow. It is nearly my dream job.

I'm nervous as berk haha

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/24/18 10:29 p.m.

The network attached storage lash-up I have running at my wife’s clinic lost one of the mirrored drives, but it’s been caught before loss of any data. 

Just installed a purpose built NAS this evening and I’m off and running without a hitch!  Practice management software backup was well underway before I left for the evening, and performance is much higher than what I was using. 

Over the next few days should be able to transition the more vanilla PC backups to the new NAS and also see if the vendor’s claims about easy redundant cloud storage hold up. 

So far, so good!

1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 ... 292

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z4GEmC0A84vS7JYHBsrhzAnL7qnIKd3h6mqx6DxoPry4LWb1Rh72bBLCrqmObvpJ