1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 ... 292
Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/2/18 5:25 p.m.

A couple months ago the new S60 (still our new car, dammit) got hit in the quarter panel by a deer.  It left a deep scratch and 2 extremely minor dimples.

It's a pale metallic blue called Mussel Blue.  In my heart of hearts, I knew the QP would need to be repainted, which I knew would stretch into the back door at least.  I was terrified they'd never get the color right.

Just got the car back after a week in the shop, and at least in the available light, it's almost completely unnoticeable.  I'm hoping that's still the case in bright sunshine.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/18 6:46 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Knurled. said:
Duke said:

That stupid "strip the hood down to bare metal and make it rust" fad has finally disappeared.

There are no more Neons in the road for VW and Honda enthusiasts to mimic.

Come on now.  No picking on Neons.  The red ones sometimes kept the clear coat...

When I worked at a bike shop that sold mid to high end mountain bikes, we'd get kids who wanted us to put the bar ends pointed straight up instead of about 10-15 degrees from horizontal like they should be, because their friends all had Murrays and Huffys from K-Mart and that is how their bikes were set up.

That is how they come in the shipping box for storage reasons.  The bar ends and stem are installed on the handlebars (along with the grips, brake levers, and shifter) and everything is shipped with them coplanar so they fit in the box. 

Gallant at the bike shop installs the assembly on the bike, lines up the curve in the handlebars to be parallel to the rider's shoulders so as to match the natural angle of the elbow-forearm-wrist-palm angle equation when in the saddle,, the brake levers to be a natural reach thereof from the index fingers, and the bar ends at a slight angle from horizontal so that they are at a natural angle when out of the saddle and cranking uphill.  Goofus at K-mart bolts it on the bike as-is and goes back to trying to hit on the girl from Housewares.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/2/18 8:02 p.m.

Win of the week:

Brett Murphy is a great guy to spend an evening with. 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/2/18 8:27 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Win of the week:

Brett Murphy is a great guy to spend an evening with. 

I can confirm that.

Knurled.
11/3/18 2:44 p.m.

I only have to store three tires over the winter!  Hooray for garage space

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/3/18 3:30 p.m.

The race car and duster are both running!!!

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
11/3/18 7:05 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

The race car and duster are both running!

Elevens from the Duster?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/3/18 7:07 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

The last elevens it left have cost me a grand......

Knurled.
11/4/18 2:08 p.m.

HA!!!!!

HA, HA, HAAA!!!!!!

I have found 4 lug hubs that will slide onto a Volvo 740 front upright!  My evil plan may commence!!!!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/4/18 2:17 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

The race car and duster are both running!!!

Even more miraculous as they both still run today!

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
11/5/18 3:35 p.m.

Gravel work started today on my new 6-bay garage. I already had the sod stripped and grade marking pins driven around the perimeter of the site.  The job foreman pulled me aside this morning and commented that he was surprised how much the pins helped and that I thought to put them in for him.  Sometimes being both lazy and a nerd pays off.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/5/18 3:38 p.m.

I put 6 trouble free miles on the duster today at lunch.

And the racecar still runs!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/5/18 5:15 p.m.

I just picked up the application packet for the Local 150 Opperating Engineers.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

imgon
imgon Reader
11/5/18 5:48 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Excellent,  good luck, positive thoughts going your wqy.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/5/18 7:17 p.m.

In reply to imgon :

Thanks, buddy.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/6/18 11:02 a.m.
stanger_missle said:

There has been a big development on the job front. I don't want to say what it is for fear of jinxing myself but it is pretty mega. More to come...

Resume sent to hiring manager. Fingers crossed!

stanger_missle
11/6/18 1:52 p.m.

I just received an email to set up a phone interview with the hiring manager and the team lead. Hopefully I won't bungle the interview...

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
11/6/18 3:02 p.m.

I'm going to start a build / race report thread, but just wanted to brag real quick about earning my first piece of hardware on two wheels last Saturday night.

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
11/6/18 3:29 p.m.

In reply to Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado :

That bike is awesome-sauce, and not the knock-off store-brand sauce either.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
11/6/18 5:26 p.m.

And a day later you can actually see a building shape:

stanger_missle
11/9/18 1:22 p.m.
stanger_missle said:

I just received an email to set up a phone interview with the hiring manager and the team lead. Hopefully I won't bungle the interview...

It was a screening interview with the team lead. It went well. I just got an email from the hiring manager to set up the technical interview for next week.

Getting closer!

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/9/18 2:11 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I just picked up the application packet for the Local 150 Opperating Engineers.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Good luck!  I had a very positive experience with a couple crane operators out of the Cleveland local when I was installing some machinery in the Avon Lake Ford plant.  Serious pros!

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
11/9/18 6:35 p.m.

I get mercilessly static shocked this time of year at department stores when pushing a shopping cart. I'm talking blue-arc pops whenever I touch anything metal, no matter what kind of shoes I'm wearing. Finally got fed up with it and made my own grounding strap out of a small carabiner and a loop of ball chain that I can hook on the bottom of the cart. No more shocks! laugh

Knurled.
11/9/18 6:43 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

Wow!  I used to have to scuff around in socks for minutes in order to get a good blue arc, when I was a kid and did that sort of thing for fun.  I think my arc-length record was a half inch.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/9/18 9:58 p.m.

Removed the massively infected uterus from an obese, 12 year old dog with a bunch of other health problems today.

Hardest surgery I've done in a few years, took me over 2 hours. 

When she picked up, the owner admitted that she never thought the dog would survive surgery.

Dog trotted out the door on her way to the parking lot this evening.

1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 ... 292

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wW4SysQvMqvsKcLqelk4pqTpjQrCOnZEvry4rmMYoECQJzRtkq8ZzBmhUH2eZiCL