1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 ... 292
NickD
NickD UberDork
11/21/18 7:11 a.m.

My middle sister and her brood aren't coming to Thanksgiving tomorrow. Her boyfriend/ex-boyfriend/father of her kids/guy she lives with is going to his parents and taking the kids with him, so she's going to stay home alone. Can't say I understand the logic, but, hey, I'm glad to go without the particular brand of chaos she brings.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/21/18 6:59 p.m.
stanger_missle said:
stanger_missle said:
stanger_missle said:

I just received an email to set up a phone interview with the hiring manager and the team lead. Hopefully I won't bungle the interview...

It was a screening interview with the team lead. It went well. I just got an email from the hiring manager to set up the technical interview for next week.

Getting closer!

Secondary interview is locked in for Monday morning. This is the furthest I have gotten in finding a real job. I'm in uncharted territory now. I've never had to negotiate pay or benefits. I'm fine with the starting pay (more than I ever made in the military surprise) and the benefits are just an added bonus since I use the VA for most of my medical.

So, I had the interview with the team lead, the program manager and the lead engineer. It must of went pretty well because the recruiter contacted me earlier today saying that they want to hire me! I still gotta do some pre-hire paperwork and go over the official offer letter before it's official but it sounds like I pretty much have the position.

I'll be working in a network operations center for a large military client providing Tier 1 SATCOM and network support in Tampa, FL. It is pretty close to being my dream job and there is lots of promotion potential. The pay is pretty good too (more than I ever made in 15 years in the military).

Now I just gotta sell another vehicle, pay off some debt, figure out how to move my stuff across the country (again) and find another place to live. Easy stuff, right? surprise

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
11/21/18 8:39 p.m.
stanger_missle said:
stanger_missle said:
stanger_missle said:
stanger_missle said:

I just received an email to set up a phone interview with the hiring manager and the team lead. Hopefully I won't bungle the interview...

It was a screening interview with the team lead. It went well. I just got an email from the hiring manager to set up the technical interview for next week.

Getting closer!

Secondary interview is locked in for Monday morning. This is the furthest I have gotten in finding a real job. I'm in uncharted territory now. I've never had to negotiate pay or benefits. I'm fine with the starting pay (more than I ever made in the military surprise) and the benefits are just an added bonus since I use the VA for most of my medical.

So, I had the interview with the team lead, the program manager and the lead engineer. It must of went pretty well because the recruiter contacted me earlier today saying that they want to hire me! I still gotta do some pre-hire paperwork and go over the official offer letter before it's official but it sounds like I pretty much have the position.

I'll be working in a network operations center for a large military client providing Tier 1 SATCOM and network support in Tampa, FL. It is pretty close to being my dream job and there is lots of promotion potential. The pay is pretty good too (more than I ever made in 15 years in the military).

Now I just gotta sell another vehicle, pay off some debt, figure out how to move my stuff across the country (again) and find another place to live. Easy stuff, right? surprise

Compared to getting the job? Yeah, that is the easy stuff! Congrats!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/18 8:46 p.m.

In reply to stanger_missle :

Outstanding!

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/18 7:10 a.m.

The guy who spent $75k on his project car and liked it bought us pizza for lunch yesterday because he is so happy about how awesome his car is.

Took some home.  Having pizza for breakfast today.  Free pizza.  With ricotta cheese instead of mozzarella.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
11/22/18 7:50 a.m.

Congrats!

And Happy Thanksgiving!

wae
wae SuperDork
11/23/18 2:09 p.m.

Got the garage cleaned out enough to be able to rotate the Goldwing 90 degrees and slide it to the back.  Now the Miata fits in there next to the wife's 5.  Tomorrow's problem is that the bed of the pickup is full of trash for the Dumpster and things that need to go to the scrapper.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
11/24/18 8:54 p.m.

Today I figured out my Miata is Shinsen number 174 of 1471.  Palindromes are awesome.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/25/18 10:24 p.m.

My MacBook died prematurely a few months ago. I decided to buy a laptop that supports Windows Mixed Reality to replace it. I've played a few cross platform games that I've bought through Steam over the years. 

Well, last weekend, I bought Forza Horizon 4.

Oh. My. Flying spaghetti monster.

The game is amazing. I've never owned a gaming machine before. It's big and heavy, and is hard to carry around. I just figured out what the trade-off is!

Everything looks amazingly real. It's all so buttery smooth and sharp and detailed!

Sure, it sounds like a jet on the taxiway, but I'm super excited. So much so, I'm bummed that I'm not likely to get to spend time playing tomorrow. 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
11/26/18 9:07 a.m.

So, so close now:

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/26/18 4:54 p.m.

I walked into AutoZone with the bad battery from the truck. Told him I didn't buy it. Told him it was bought by I didn't know who and I don't know where. They traded it out under warranty anyway. AutoZone has slightly redeem themselves for sending me to collections in 2013 over $0.28

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
11/26/18 5:08 p.m.

And the contractor is done until concrete in the spring.  Hopefully I can get doors up this weekend!

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/28/18 2:18 p.m.

Snow sucks. BUT this snow we got last night and today is PERFECT for snowballs. Spent 30 minutes with the little tyke teaching her the finer points of snowball forming and throwing today after school. She's getting the hang of it, and I'm refining my technique of selective melting.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
11/29/18 10:15 p.m.

So I was about to type up a dumb thread asking dumb questions about either putting Microsquirt on my car or adapting a newer GM ECM, then I randomly decided to do an ebay search for stock prom chips for an '87 TPI 305. I found my answer and it involves way less work than any of my other options.  

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
11/29/18 11:04 p.m.

I often supplement my income via thrifting and re-selling on Ebay, and last Monday I scored my best Goodwill find so far:  A Bach Stradivarius Model 37 trumpet, in very nice shape, original case, for six dollars. It will sell on Ebay for around $1,200.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
11/29/18 11:05 p.m.

Let there be lights!

classicJackets
classicJackets HalfDork
11/30/18 6:43 a.m.

This year Is my first time living in a house where the whole garage is mine, and I've expanded my tool "collection" to match. In the last month or so I found a large, heavy vise for a great deal and an older, cast iron Craftsman belt/Disc sander on stand for a great deal. After buying a miter gauge for the sander, I finally got to use it to clean up some angle grinder cuts on the head board I'm making now. 

Wow! It's amazing! I can actually get square tubing to be square/even on the ends, and that's with some pretty crappy sandpaper on there. I've already got some heavier duty stuff on the way. Really excited for the future of building things with the right tools..

stanger_missle
11/30/18 1:46 p.m.
stanger_missle said:
stanger_missle said:
stanger_missle said:
stanger_missle said:

Getting closer!

I just signed the offer letter and all of the employment documentation. It's officially official. I start December 31st.

Now comes all of the logistics of moving 2900 miles in December.

But I am super stoked! I hope this gets my foot in the door to a successful career.

imgon
imgon Reader
11/30/18 1:55 p.m.

Congrats,  just call a friend with a truck and see if they can "give you a little help" in a couple of weeks.  Is your employer helping with moving expenses? That might make things a little easier. Good luck, hope it all goes well.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/30/18 2:10 p.m.

So awesome!! Just send the Wrangler my way, I'll take care of it for you.

stanger_missle
11/30/18 2:11 p.m.

In reply to imgon :

I asked about relocation assistance but this contract does not offer it sadly. I have a 07 F250 Crew Cab longbed that I will be towing an enclosed 6x12 Uhaul trailer. The plan so far:

1.  Sell my beloved Wrangler to pay for move. This is the key.

2.  Rent said trailer. Stuff it as full as I can. Stuff truck and bed as full as possible.

3. Arrive in Tampa, find a place to live.

I checked on renting a 26 foot truck from both Uhaul and Penske. Uhaul - $2100 Penske - $1700. My truck is too big to tow behind the 26 foot truck, so that wouldn't work.

Hiring a moving company to move my household stuff would be $5500+. I don't have enough money to do that and get established in Tampa.

Uhaul Ubox-it would be close to $3000.

Renting the 6x12 trailer is $510. Once I get established, I could afford to ship the rest of my stuff down to me.

None of the options are ideal but I'll take what I can get.

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
11/30/18 5:40 p.m.

Picked up a new scar and a story today.  Scar is right across my neck.  If asked, the story will be, "Some dude in a mask cut my throat, I lost consciousness, but I didn't die".  Only if asked will I add that he looked something like this:  

EDIT:  I can also add: "To make matters worse, two women stabbed me 5 times."  Of course, they were nurses trying to start an IV.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
12/2/18 9:39 a.m.

I just got a box of computer parts from Newegg for my son's Ryzen 7 build.  At 10:30 am.  On a Sunday.  I like it!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/2/18 10:25 a.m.
kazoospec said:

Picked up a new scar and a story today.  Scar is right across my neck.  If asked, the story will be, "Some dude in a mask cut my throat, I lost consciousness, but I didn't die".  Only if asked will I add that he looked something like this:  

EDIT:  I can also add: "To make matters worse, two women stabbed me 5 times."  Of course, they were nurses trying to start an IV.

Thyroidectomy?

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
12/2/18 1:40 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Close.  Parathyroidectomy.  

1 ... 68 69 70 71 72 ... 292

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zHGIXJR0K7SEj0nJ96HI9cfA532OZCgkUJwntDQYoxd5RNGB76utMRH1PCHvPS1Y