1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 ... 292
KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
4/8/19 9:10 a.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo :

You must be a wizard!   Some of those parts spend their whole lives looking for an opportunity to leap through a rift in the space time continuum.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/8/19 10:03 p.m.

Local Taco Bell brought back DIET BAJA BLAST!

HNNNNNGH-BERK YEAH!

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/9/19 12:54 a.m.

I've heard that people tend to stop discovering new music in middle age. I've had a really good YouTube evening, finding some new artists I'm going to listen to on the drive tomorrow, as well as tracking down some catchy stuff I keep hearing somewhere.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/10/19 8:43 a.m.
Mike said:

I've heard that people tend to stop discovering new music in middle age. I've had a really good YouTube evening, finding some new artists I'm going to listen to on the drive tomorrow, as well as tracking down some catchy stuff I keep hearing somewhere.

I'm slowly working my way through the CDs that the library near my office has (very slowly.... I'm like up to the 'F's on the Dance genre- which is the first genre I started with). Lots of stuff I won't be listening to again, but a few things I've really liked and wouldn't have listened to otherwise.

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/10/19 8:49 a.m.

Midday yesterday the Dancer texted to tell me that the battery warning light on the Mariner was coming on when she was stopped at stoplights. Usually this is a sign that the alternator is going out/has gone out- so despite the fact we really want to be getting rid of the Mariner as soon as we can (read: when the cabin is finished and financed) I called around and found a parts store that had a replacement alternator and was resolved to having to pay the $200 for it and spend the few hours replacing it.

Got home and started testing the car- yup, not seeing the voltage at the battery that it should while running. BUT- when doing so, I noticed something weird: a scorched part of the rubber boot that covers the positive terminal connection of the battery. Looking closer, I found that the (hefty) wire from the battery to the alt was loose and the nut on the post that held it down was backed out a fair ways. Grabbed the impact gun and tightened the nut back up so the connection was solid, and fired up the engine- viola! 14+ volts at the battery.

No idea how that bolt got loose, but I'll take 30s with the impact gun to tighten a nut over several hours and $200 to replace and alt any day of the week!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/10/19 10:21 a.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:
Mike said:

I'm slowly working my way through the CDs that the library near my office has (very slowly.... I'm like up to the 'F's on the Dance genre- which is the first genre I started with). Lots of stuff I won't be listening to again, but a few things I've really liked and wouldn't have listened to otherwise.

My dad is 65, and since he got a car with a CD player in it in 2002, when he was 49, he's gone through probably 20-30 CDs a week at the library. Most only make it 2-3 minutes before he decides he doesn't like it, but he's found a lot of new stuff that way that he never would have found before.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/10/19 10:56 a.m.

And the 4 year old loooooved it. 

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
4/10/19 1:31 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Nice! 

Kids love convertibles. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/10/19 8:46 p.m.

Diggity... 

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/10/19 8:51 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I ran across Like A Version, a radio series that has groups on for an interview and to perform covers.

I already love covers, and some of these performances were simply mind blowing, so I started looking the artists up on Spotify.

Examples:

E^st - Bittersweet Symphony

Billie Eilish - Bad

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/19 9:22 p.m.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
4/10/19 9:26 p.m.

The Suburban has had a weird noise from the front end for over a year.  It’s kind of a weird thump rattle that seemed like a loose heat shield or some such.  Only came on at over 35 mph and didn’t feel like anything bad.

That said, it was driving me a little crazy.  When a couple of GRMers borrowed the beast to drag their challenge car down to the challenge they couldn’t figure it out either (but it went to and from Florida without a problem so it couldn’t be terrible).  

Today I drove to Illinois to buy a stump grinder and at my first gas stop I popped the hood to make sure everything was good.  Banging around I notice......loose fan shroud!!  Grab a 10mm and give the bolts a few twists and voila!  No more noise at speed.   So very happy, I have some automotive noise anxiety and fixing weird noises just pleases me more than I can express.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
4/10/19 10:25 p.m.

@John Welsh, cmcgregor: Awesome!!!

It also got her looking at cars more, trying to spot convertibles.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
4/11/19 7:29 a.m.

I misplaced this in the first ten minutes of working changing the clutch, almost done now I can sleep again.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/19 7:09 p.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

I'm trying to think of what uses modern couplers in the A/C lines, yet still uses one of those old-ass 1980s power steering reservoirs.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/11/19 8:56 p.m.

Modern audio and video systems are pretty awesome.

A month ago, we updaded our 24 year old audio system with something far more modern- which could take in HDMI inputs, process them very well, and make it sound good.

Today, we upgraded from a 32in to a 49 in TV.  And new TV's have the audio output that sends sounds over the HDMI cable.  So I can watch whatever I put into the TV, and it sounds awesome on the sound system.

Very cool.  

Right now (as in this moment) I'm switching between the NCAA Hockey Semi Final, and Q1 in China.  Sounds and looks amazing.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/12/19 12:10 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

I think Honda still uses those reservoirs...

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
4/12/19 6:50 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

2009 SX4, can also be seen in cars for sale / this is not a build thread.

When you have the same 10mm deep socket for 20 years, It was more than a minor win.

The real minor win was the hose next to the reservoir, it pulled off while rocking the motor the get the trans out.  As far as I know it pulled off without cracking the reservoir, on a cold day. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/12/19 9:19 a.m.

Clicked order for parts, realized, crap, forgot to put in my discount code. Order failed because my credit card has text authentication now apparently. Went back, put in discount code, saved $10

NickD
NickD PowerDork
4/12/19 9:34 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Local Taco Bell brought back DIET BAJA BLAST!

HNNNNNGH-BERK YEAH!

Call me when they bring back the Volcano Burrito. berkeleyers.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
4/12/19 10:51 a.m.

Wife made banana bread last night. She put chocolate chips in it, and it is amazing. She's never done that before, but I'm considering divorcing her because she's been holding out on me for 11 years that this was a thing. Of course, I'd have to remarry her after that.

wae
wae SuperDork
4/12/19 11:16 a.m.

Ten bucks for new fobs on Amazon, four new cheap-o lock actuators from Rock Auto and a little bit of silicone spray on the hatch lock means that the B.U.T.T. now has complete working keyless entry!

NickD
NickD PowerDork
4/12/19 11:49 a.m.

Oh hell yes, Angry Whopper is back

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/19 1:34 p.m.
NickD said:

Oh hell yes, Angry Whopper is back

That’s what she said!

Don49
Don49 Dork
4/12/19 2:00 p.m.

I had an interview this morning and as of May 1 I will be a Rubber-Seal Manufacturer Rep.

1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 ... 292

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oJ0lzw4Olx8BVbNd1twlnY1Ay2Sa4LGJnCJiG5Ep14sRMlf1tAn88aQf2OxVLEAx