1 2 3 4
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/1/17 12:23 p.m.

In reply to Jumper K. Balls:

Isn't that the place where VWs are worth 5 times their actual value?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
4/1/17 1:18 p.m.

There is one J series Jeep left around here. Maybe two XJ Cherokees. Even the Grand Cherokees are all returned to their component molecules.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
4/1/17 7:35 p.m.

And this afternoon I saw a J10 by a friends house. Never fails.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
4/1/17 8:55 p.m.

I saw a Buick Reatta in the flesh a year or so back.

There's a Cadillac Allante buried in the back of a "Dollar Bill's Easy Auto" type lot in my town.

There's also a running, driving Chrysler / Maserati TC nearby. Some realtor owns it.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/17 9:17 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: There's also a running, driving Chrysler / Maserati TC nearby. Some realtor owns it.

Is his advertising slogan "Whatever you want, Leo Getz"?

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
4/1/17 9:33 p.m.

I only see a Gen1 Infiniti Q45 when I look out my front door.
The only time I have witnessed another running/driving example was Andy's at The Challenge and mine was not the there that year so even though I have owned two, I have never seen two together at the same time.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
4/1/17 9:42 p.m.

Off the top of my head:

Chevy Lumina

Chevy Venture

Mercury Tracer

Ford Aspire

Dodge Colt

Nissan Sentra Wagon

Toyota Camry Coupe (not the Camry Solara)

Suzuki Verona

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
4/1/17 10:30 p.m.

Rover of England had this silly commercial in the 90s showing two of its cars driving along the stormy moor and as they pass lightning strikes to show how exclusive they were. Well guess what they remained that way because few bought re-engineered Honda's built by brits. Nissan had an equally dumb one showing a couple pushing their Almera off a cliff. Those did sell a little more.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/17 11:35 p.m.

I would add Hyundai Excels to that list. They made millions of them and they sold like hotcakes for two generations. Mitsu even had their précis version, I have not seen one in the metal in a decade

dropstep
dropstep Dork
4/1/17 11:48 p.m.

man i live in the rust belt and still see everything listed here aside from the subaru's pretty often. Subaru's just havnt really caught on here in farm country.

Toebra
Toebra Reader
4/2/17 9:09 a.m.

Don't see near the number of air cooled VW on the road as even 10 years ago

Knurled
4/2/17 9:28 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I would add Hyundai Excels to that list. They made millions of them and they sold like hotcakes for two generations. Mitsu even had their précis version, I have not seen one in the metal in a decade

When I think of the Precis, I think of the doofus who brought his car to us (in 1997) for an A/C check because it wasn't blowing as cold as it did in May.

The car was a non-A/C car. I thought my service writer was berkeleying with me. Turns out, the guy really didn't know that he had bought a non-A/C car when he bought it in the winter.

Even in 1997, people assumed that every car had A/C. Now, you can the the third owner of a car that will refuse to start and run if the A/C is discharged. (Some hybrids use the air conditioning system to cool the battery. If the A/C doesn't work, you aren't going anywhere)

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
4/2/17 11:04 a.m.

My thought on the Neons is that the auto trans probably died on most of them.

But somebody in this part of Kentucky has definitely made a cloning machine and only uses it for 90s FWD GM sedans.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/2/17 9:13 p.m.

Square eye Cavaliers are all gone. All of them.

4th Gen Firebirds are extinct as well, especially the V6 models.

Late 90s Monte Carlos, all gone:

slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/2/17 9:14 p.m.

Have you seen me lately? Infiniti G20, all gone:

Knurled
4/2/17 9:34 p.m.

Dude, don't post pictures. That's worse than those Sarah McIcan'trememberherlastname commercials with the abused puppies.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/3/17 12:28 a.m.
Toebra wrote: Don't see near the number of air cooled VW on the road as even 10 years ago

Even in Southern California they are pretty rare (they used to be very common). I think the lack of AC and of course the clutch have killed their practicality for most. More recently I suspect the rapidly rising value hurts the cheap drive factor.. Considering how MANY where made, it's a bit crazy they are gaining value.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/3/17 12:30 a.m.
slefain wrote: Have you seen me lately? Infiniti G20, all gone:

Isn't that just a tarted up Camery? You can still get the ugly sister...

lrrs
lrrs Reader
4/3/17 5:03 a.m.

Late 90s Monte Carlos, all gone:

Here on the seacoast of NH, they are still plentiful. The must be coming here to live out their last years, or maybe its like the Revere Beach MA thing of the late 80s early 90s with the f body.

Knurled
4/3/17 5:21 a.m.
aircooled wrote:
slefain wrote: Have you seen me lately? Infiniti G20, all gone:
Isn't that just a tarted up Camery? You can still get the ugly sister...

It's a B13 Sentra SE-R with leather and a really bizarre front suspension.

Really awesome cars. There was a second generation G20 (B14-based) that was somewhat less awesome.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/3/17 7:13 a.m.

I go for weeks where the only boxy s10 is the one in the driveway

slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/3/17 7:44 a.m.

Toyota Paseo

The0retical
The0retical Dork
4/3/17 8:41 a.m.
Chadeux wrote: My thought on the Neons is that the auto trans probably died on most of them. But somebody in this part of Kentucky has definitely made a cloning machine and only uses it for 90s FWD GM sedans.

It's probably like Rochester NY. I'm pretty sure there's at least one breeding pair of Pontiac Aztecs hidden away up there. They seemed like they were everywhere.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
4/3/17 9:07 a.m.
Jay wrote: I just realized I haven't seen a first-gen Neon in forever, even here on rust-free Vancouver Island where K-cars and '80s Nissan Stanzas are common and the odd Hyundai Pony still trundles around. What happened to them all?

Not odd at all. Just think of this.

• Chrysler Corporation in the late 90's sold around 500,000 vehicles/year TOTAL (includes cars/truck/minivans)
  • Toyota Camry's sold in late 1990s was averaging 420,000 Camry's/year. JUST CAMRYs
  • Pontiac a division on the edge of being discontinued for poor performance sold over 500,000 vehicles/year at the end of the 90s.

Chrysler while lumped into the "Big 3" moniker was vastly smaller than Ford and GM.

All Chrysler cars are rare from the start.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
4/3/17 10:40 a.m.

At least around here, RX8s have become almost extinct. You used to see them all the time, now, nothing. My beloved MR2s are about the same. There was a time with the MKIs were everywhere. I saw one about a month ago and it looked so out of place. X1/9s are the same.

Most cars, when they depreciate to the point a water pump repair is more than they are worth, end up in the junkyard. When my buddy owned a shop, there were many times when a repair estimate was easily more than a car was worth, and the owner would essentially abandon the car there. He purchase a lot of cars for $100 or less. Some were repaired and sold, others stripped for parts and scrapped. A sad end to a lot of cars.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pB6pOrXOG0HqrpxjNttQBOF0MODwBL2pRCaVu5PwjM4YnngyfzU64C01ash3GihR