1 2
EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
6/19/17 4:43 p.m.

I have several friends who play MMORPGs, and they make it sound very interesting, and something I'd like to get into.

However, every one I've tried, the creators make so many assumptions about what a player knows that it is very frustrating for a total n00b.

Last night I installed a game called ArcheAge, at the suggestion of one of my friends who plays it. Ten minutes in, I have no idea what I'm doing, no idea of what I'm supposed to accomplish or why, or how to go about it.

Do any of you fine folks know of any sort of truly simple MMORPG that's geared for total idiots who know absolutely nothing about how they work?

Really good tutorials are a must, apparently, and I've yet to find a game that offers that.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
6/19/17 4:47 p.m.

Step one turn off the computer and go outside. MMORPG eat people alive I have seen the fallout from it. I have seen people play time in measured in the 1K days. IE online or at least logged in for 24,000 hours

If you are really down to learn then the wiki for the game should have a beginners guide that will help you out.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
6/19/17 5:52 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: Step one turn off the computer and go outside.

it's 115F outside. Which is precisely why I'm looking for something to do inside.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/17 6:08 p.m.

MMORPGs do require a huge time commitment (you'll be working with other people in the game so you can't just pick it up whenever you want) and will hook people who are easily addicted to things. I think you'd have to at least be very under-employed to have enough time for such games.

You can find online guides for such games, but basically you're going to be killing monsters (mostly in a group with other players) to gain experience for your character so that your character's power level can increase. Sometimes you'll be killing monsters in dungeon crawls that have treasure at the end. The treasure items will include weapons, armor and power-ups for your character. You can also trade for these - usually the game encourages you to buy in-game currency with real money so that you can easily (vs. in-game effort) trade for things. You finish the game with an epic dungeon crawl that eventually puts you against the big boss monster. This requires insanely powerful characters to complete. That's your typical MMORPG in a nutshell.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
6/19/17 6:32 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

Oh. That's a better explanation than I've ever gotten previously.

Nope, that's not at all what I'm interested in doing.

/end thread.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
6/19/17 6:58 p.m.

I had to look it up, so I'll post it here for other people who are also clueless.

MMORPG = Massively multiplayer online role-playing games

Brian
Brian MegaDork
6/19/17 7:03 p.m.

I played WoW over winters for a few years after I finished school. I never enjoyed the multipayer aspect. Skyrim was the final nail in the WoW coffin for me.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/19/17 7:12 p.m.

Yeah, I couldnt even make Destiny work for me, MMORPGs are totally off the radar. Now the Fallout or Elder Scrolls series of games are my games of choice over the last ten years or so.

These games have tons of back stories and side quest to dive into that universe but its still a single person game so no looking for others to play. Another reason Destiny didnt work, the baby would wake up screaming and I'd go running. The other players get mad when you go awol.

The Borderlands games offer lots of game play too, and you can still do split screen co op. My wife loves those games because of it!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/19/17 7:22 p.m.
EvanR wrote: I have several friends who play MMORPGs, and they make it sound very interesting, and something I'd like to get into. However, every one I've tried, the creators make so many assumptions about what a player knows that it is very frustrating for a total n00b. Last night I installed a game called ArcheAge, at the suggestion of one of my friends who plays it. Ten minutes in, I have no idea what I'm doing, no idea of what I'm supposed to accomplish or why, or how to go about it. Do any of you fine folks know of any sort of truly simple MMORPG that's geared for total idiots who know absolutely nothing about how they work? Really good tutorials are a must, apparently, and I've yet to find a game that offers that. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

There's this mmo I played many many moons ago called kingdom of loathing. I haven't logged in in like 5 years, but when I did play, I was pretty damn good, amd was part of the most influential in-game clan. It's definitely easy to get into, amd 100% doable free.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/19/17 7:46 p.m.

So...this is electronic heroin?

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
6/19/17 7:59 p.m.

As someone who played world of warcraft for 9 years and at one point was pretty much addicted id recomend that game. The starter pack thesr days gets you lvl 1-90, they have made the game overly simple and have lost alot of subscriptions because of it but its still the largest. Storyline can be done entirely alone or you can do group stuff, also features player vs player in instanced or world depending on server choice. If you get into the world of progression raiding it becomes a second job.

Anything you cant figure out in game yourself is usually covered on the battle.net forums or wowhead. But they have tied the storyline together so well it basically walks you too the endgame.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/19/17 8:48 p.m.

I was thinking MMORP was dressing up in costumes and having fake fights in the park, but that is slurping or morping or some other acronym.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
6/19/17 8:56 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: I had to look it up, so I'll post it here for other people who are also clueless. MMORPG = Massively multiplayer online role-playing games

Thanks! I was one of the clueless. I stopped playing computer games when you needed 3 hands to play. Couldn't ever remember where all the shortcut keys were or what they did. I stick to spider solitaire now.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
6/19/17 8:57 p.m.

So, you are asking about Multi Man Orgasmic Rocket Propelled Grenades? I will follow this thread with interest.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
6/19/17 9:25 p.m.
T.J. wrote: I was thinking MMORP was dressing up in costumes and having fake fights in the park, but that is slurping or morping or some other acronym.

Larping and I only know that from I love you man lol

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/19/17 9:33 p.m.
nepa03focus wrote:
T.J. wrote: I was thinking MMORP was dressing up in costumes and having fake fights in the park, but that is slurping or morping or some other acronym.
Larping and I only know that from I love you man lol

I dated a Mormon larp-er once. Not one of my finer moments.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
6/19/17 10:17 p.m.

My first year of college was when WoW was at the height of popularity. I was acquainted with several people who failed classes (and, at its worst, semesters) secondary to their WoW activity. Never been a fan of them myself, mostly due to the (anti)social atmosphere and attitudes within the game itself. I love me some RPGs though, but I like that I can pick it up and play for 20 minutes then go do something else.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
6/19/17 10:35 p.m.

Been playing WoW for 12-13 years now. Not as hardcore as I used to, but it's still fun to pick up for a few weeks at a time and enjoy the world.

It's kind of the gold standard I suppose, and has a great learning curve that eases you into the game, as well as a great player base and derp knowledge base.

But...

Despite the gentle learning curve, what you start to learn as you go through the early progression is just how far behind you are with respect to the world at large. Steps have been taken in recent years to make the progression less of a grind, but there's still that "press a button, get a pellet" aspect to some of the leveling process.

That said, I've met people I'd consider friends through the game, even though we've never met in person. And the world is rich and complex, and the storytelling is solid, even if there's more than a few inconsistencies when it comes to various expansions that have come out over the years.

Bottom line: It's a time commitment, but it can also be fun and intellectually and socially rewarding.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
6/19/17 11:15 p.m.

If you are into killing some time online and are into cars (I am assuming) you might consider the various online racing options. It will likely require some investment is wheels / pedals but there is a certain amount of real world benefit to it.

I don't know much about MMORKS (nanu nanu), but I do know about LEEROY JENKINS! (Look it up on YouTube it's pretty funny).

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/20/17 7:15 a.m.

LARPing. "Live Action Role Playing". I have friends who do that. There are also LARP systems that are more about story and politics and you still spend lots of time and money on costumes, but never get to hit people with padded weapons.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/20/17 7:22 a.m.

If you do want to get into MMORPGs, I would also second World of Warcraft (WoW) as the place to start.

I played it back in college, and decided it wasn't for me. If I want something group play based, I prefer shooters. Either Team Fortress 2 (TF2) if I want to go Player vs. Player, or Killing Floor 2 if I want squad survival.

For computer RPGs, I'm more a fan of single player games. I feel more immersed in the world and story with those. I like being able to see my actions/decisions effect the game world. Having cities populated with 10 times as many heroes as civilians also throws off immersion for me. Skyrim, Fallout (New Vegas > 4), Deus Ex, and even some older games. I need to go back and replay Planescape: Torment.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
6/20/17 7:23 a.m.

MMORPG in a nutshell: Leeeeeroy Jenkins!

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/20/17 7:59 a.m.

Leeeeroy Jenkins is a classic. I've never played whatever game that is in the video but it is some funny stuff.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
6/20/17 8:07 a.m.

It sounds like what you might be looking for is actually a traditional RPG as opposed to an MMORPG. If you have an Xbox 360, maybe start with the Fable series.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
6/20/17 8:10 a.m.

In reply to T.J.:

Leroy Jenkins is from World of Warcraft.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jqgvAVzpwcv1GZinsJXw3KD64Gec1sezkhIg8XjoZnjYydbDthFStckEy5H5CyGd