1 2
RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
6/20/17 8:11 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: So...this is electronic heroin?

That is the most accurate description of World of Warcrack.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/20/17 8:46 a.m.

In reply to RealMiniParker:

Right down to the dragon, no less.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/20/17 8:56 a.m.

I've never quite understood "LARPing"... but having some experience in the historical reenactment world, LARPing just seemed dress-up for amateurs who went to their local Renaissance Fair and got carried away.

wae
wae Dork
6/20/17 9:15 a.m.

Recovering addict here. I shot up with Everquest for a while, tried to go straight, but then got hooked on WoW. I did a couple hits of LOTRO but it was a bad trip. For a while, I got pretty desperate and tried CoH but I couldn't really fly on it. My last relapse was with whatever the Star Wars one is called, but I've been clean for a few years now. Back in the WoW days we always used to say (about ourselves, mind you) that "It's all about playing the game because WoW doesn't have any winners or losers. Well, at least it doesn't have any winners".

Seriously, though, if you're inclined to addictive behavior this is kind of playing with fire. I would find myself staying up literally all night, staying home from work, and even burning my kitchen down (true story) because I was just going to kill one more skeleton, and this fire beetle, and this.... They can be a ton of fun but they place a heavy reward on playing in groups and grinding hard to the point where it can almost be a job. If you want the cool must have stuff in the game you've got to grind through instances and such and the groups you need to do that often will have scheduled raids with mandatory attendance and you might be stuck playing the game for hours. I finally quit because I just didn't have time to do anything else.

MugenReplica
MugenReplica New Reader
6/20/17 3:11 p.m.

I've repeatedly tried to get into them, most recently on the iPhone, but I just don't understand the hype, nor the horrendous GRINDING you have to do to get anywhere. I guess I don't socialize enough on them to make it worthwhile, nor have I found anything I found entertaining enough to enjoy. Closest thing on iOS I've found is Toram Online as it's not too crazy (as far as grinding) to get anywhere, but it is a little hard to understand the game.

If I could ever find anything with a true economy, limited resources, non-regenerating monsters, etc. Bascially something that shows a limitation to a world and also unique experiences, then I'd be into it, but I haven't found one yet. Although I do need to try, "Albion Online" first....

MugenReplica
MugenReplica New Reader
6/20/17 3:22 p.m.

Also, I should state, that if you want a really unique experience with lots of micro-managing and crazy exploration, etc. I'd recommend waiting for "Star Citizen" if you can get into Space Adventure MMORPGing.

https://www.youtube.com/user/RobertsSpaceInd

jstand
jstand HalfDork
6/20/17 3:23 p.m.

Ok, I feel old.

When I was in college people would play Dikumud on dummy terminals connected to the mainframe(VAX/VMS), by using telnet.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
6/21/17 8:12 a.m.

Now I'm starting to miss WoW. But I'm not paying $15 a month to play a 13 year old game. And I hated the end game focus/fast tracking they started pushing with Cata.

Ian F, your description is spot on. My ex BIL was a reenactor and my SIL's baby daddy is a larper. Bright side is I have the ex's original 1861 Springfield. He was turning down $1,000 offers on it 20 years ago.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/21/17 8:20 a.m.
jstand wrote: Ok, I feel old. When I was in college people would play Dikumud on dummy terminals connected to the mainframe(VAX/VMS), by using telnet.

Dude. I played the original Adventure two-word parser. Via dialup to the local university's mainframe, when we were allotted hours. On a DEC LA120 printer terminal with no monitor.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
6/21/17 11:52 a.m.

Destiny addict here, though it's really an expanded First person shooter at its core. Does MMORPG aspects though, overall it's a FPS and MMORPG hybrid. Currently trying to level up all my characters to Light Level 400, all 3 are in the mid LL390's...from LL390 up is a slower process than normal.

Main thing with Destiny is it has awesome shooter mechanics/play...the best to me and what a FPS absolutely should be. Makes for great competitive game play in Crucible or Iron Banner PVP mode, one-on-one fight with another player of equal skill really can get interesting, until a teammate ruins it, LOL. You can tune, and level up your armor and weapons to suit how your play and you weapon preference. I've found that for Crucible, my preference is Titan with striker ability setup for maximum speed and armor selected to enhance striker abilities with my prefered scout rifle/sidearm/heavy machine gun loadout (because long range precision/quick action close in/and SHTF suppressing fire.) HALO or COD was never this good.

What is really fun about destiny is the special events they have had throughout the years... Sparrow racing being my absolute favorite. Sparrow racing is probable the best racing this side of Hydro Thunder Hurricane for me - fast, intense, and incredible battling for position. Like a slolam skiing course, if the course had enemy shooting at you, gates you have to hit to make boost (which you need at all times to be competitive) which change width based on position you are in (in lead position you have to thread a needle), and course obstacles you have to time correctly to make it through without exploding into a fireball of wreckage from impact. Star Wars speeder bikes on crack... Sparrow Racing was how I leveled up my characters with better gear for the most part, back when LL320 was a big deal.

You can get exotic class armor and weapons by completing bounties/quests. Youtube is the best source for what needs to be done if you are after a certain piece of armor or weapon. Just got the Black Spindle sniper rifle...wasn't really on my 'radar' to get, but some guys I've started running with recently were going for it when I met up with them so I went for it. Took quite a few attempts to do (run a story mission that turns into a strike with a time limit to kill ALL enemy by in 3 separate areas.) Completed it with less than a second to spare on the clock....whew. Anyways, the Black Spindle is now my favorite sniper rifle in Destiny...sound it makes when firing is awesome, so is the massive damage it renders...

Gameplay with Black Spindle...

Looking forward to the second crack hit in September...AKA Destiny 2 release.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
6/21/17 12:43 p.m.

The last online game I was into was Trade Wars on a local dial up bulletin board. It was so much better after we got the 14.4k modem...

If anyone is into LARPing in the Chicago area they should let me know. I have a connection to one of the NERO chapters there through my wife.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
6/21/17 12:46 p.m.

You want a game to lose yourself in? Go with Elder Scrolls, Fallout, and the Mass Effect games. Awesome plots (ESPECIALLY Mass Effect), and you can play at your own pace whenever you want because it isn't multiplayer.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
6/21/17 1:23 p.m.

This thread had me looking at old WoW screenshots, now i wish blizzard wouldnt have ruined that game for me. MMO's are a great way to get through winter around here.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
6/21/17 10:05 p.m.

Way back in 2003, I was addicted to Dark Age of Camelot. It was the first and last MMO that I ever really got into. What made it fun for me initially was the process of growing a character and being afraid of going out into a new world. It somehow felt magical to go into a dungeon and find other players to team with and try to get through an area. But I always felt that I was chasing and would never catch the players that could spend every waking hour farming for EXP and items. When I finally reached max level 50 and could head out to the main RvR (realm vs. realm) areas where the player factions fought it out, I always felt underpowered and overwhelmed. It was a lot of fun, particularly when a fun bunch of guys (led by a few northern BC Canadians) invited me into their guild. I never did very well compared to others, and the game became too much of a grind fest over time (Google "Trials of Atlantis"), but I've never had more fun playing on a computer. It was just odd and exciting grouping with/fighting against strangers when you had no idea what they would do or how they would play the game. This is something that AI will have a hard time reproducing.

Some of the developers that worked on Dark Age of Camelot are developing a new game called "Camelot Unchained". I wish them well, but don't think I ever want to be that dedicated to playing a computer game again. Once you start scheduling your life around playing a game, it gets to be a little too much in terms of commitment.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
6/22/17 1:51 a.m.

The real problem with MMORPG's isn't that they're addictive, it's that you can't do stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/eX_GfnmUINI

jstand
jstand HalfDork
6/22/17 6:23 a.m.

In reply to Duke:

You are old!

At least I had a nice green monochrome monitor to look at while playing.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
6/22/17 8:35 a.m.
Driven5 wrote: The real problem with MMORPG's isn't that they're addictive, it's that you can't do stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/embed/eX_GfnmUINI

OOOOOH, YEEEEEEEAH.

tjbell
tjbell Reader
6/22/17 8:22 p.m.

I spent many days and nights playing Runescape. Played since 05/06 ish and log in every once and a while. Talk about grinding though

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/23/17 1:42 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: I had to look it up, so I'll post it here for other people who are also clueless. MMORPG = Massively multiplayer online role-playing games

I came here looking for Marvel Mystery Oil Rocket Propelled Grenades. I am disappoint.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oy6uzGGAjIpUheTWCvmkQj64sYBwhBSrAWlRy6Km15e5HlUt53DLZ0UGSQaPh8wD