N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
5/17/11 12:10 p.m.
cwh
cwh SuperDork
5/17/11 12:38 p.m.

That was INTENSE!!!! They got the guy, right?

RioRacer
RioRacer Dork
5/17/11 12:49 p.m.

Damn, hope the cops gave them an extra beating if they caught them.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
5/17/11 12:59 p.m.

Yeah, I've driven that stretch once or twice.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
5/17/11 1:01 p.m.

They got him. He was held up on a campus for a bit. He was extra rare when they got him.. That would be my excuse for the blood at least.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
5/17/11 1:51 p.m.
racinginc215 wrote: And all I take away from the video is huh Dodge Magnum capable of fleeing and alluding and has a big enough window to fire and AK47 from. Some run flats a brush guard and you've got a decent ZAV.

most cop cars are so weighed down with equipment that they don't make much of a drag car, but they'll run 140+ till they run out of gas.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
5/17/11 1:52 p.m.

What I take away from that video is that whomever posted it could have cut it down by 17 minutes and not lost a thing.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
5/17/11 2:25 p.m.

So the cop intentionally puts traffic between himself and the shooter?

Apparently, "To protect and serve" has a new meaning.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/17/11 2:32 p.m.

In reply to oldsaw:

I was more than a little weirded out by that, too.

I feel duly reticent about armchair-quarterbacking somebody doing that job, but I was really startled by that. I also thought passing people on the right, on the shoulder, with lights and sirens going seemed like a good way to get someone to pull directly into you in their attempt to get out of your way.

I'm aggravated by how bad people around where I live are about pulling over when there's an emergency vehicle behind them, but in this case I guess it was for the best...

Duke
Duke SuperDork
5/17/11 2:35 p.m.

Well, I thought of all those points myself, but I agree, it's hard to say what's right from here. Keep in mind the cop doing 95% of the chase was a 22-year-old rookie, too, which may not excuse any actions but could help explain them. The important thing in the long run is that no innocents were hurt.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
5/17/11 3:09 p.m.
oldsaw wrote: So the cop intentionally puts traffic between himself and the shooter? Apparently, "To protect and serve" has a new meaning.

Hes actually using the perps car for cover. Staying at the rear right quarter. In order to remain in the safest spot, he must pass the cars on the right.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
5/17/11 3:17 p.m.

I would have thought the left quarter would have been better, but as I said, I have no intention of seriously second-guessing a brave LEO who, after all, did his job well.

RioRacer
RioRacer Dork
5/17/11 3:18 p.m.

In reply to oldsaw:

I didn't see it as taking cover, rather then staying in the blind spot of the shooter. If he was closer to the other car, the odds of the shooter actually hitting there target would increase much more

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
5/17/11 3:20 p.m.

The left side is obviously where the gun can be held out and easily controlled. I've fired simulation rounds at cops across and out of vehicles. A lot harder than it may appear. Even harder with a long gun and while you're doing 100+.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
5/17/11 3:27 p.m.

Hrm, the geometry seems odd to me. I can easily see holding an AK in my right hand, arm extended about 30 degrees behind me and maybe with the muzzle propped on the back seat, spraying rounds anywhere from 3:00 to 6:00 or so while still driving. Not easy, agreed, and completely inaccurate, but isn't that what rock'n'roll is for?

However, I can't imagine any way to shoot at the left quarter (to cover 6:00 to 8:00 or so) with the same gun, while still driving. In an LHD car, the blindspot is bigger directly behind the driver, too.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
5/17/11 3:31 p.m.

Here's a link to the story.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
5/17/11 3:36 p.m.
Duke wrote: Hrm, the geometry seems odd to me. I can easily see holding an AK in my right hand, arm extended about 30 degrees behind me and maybe with the muzzle propped on the back seat, spraying rounds anywhere from 3:00 to 6:00 or so while still driving. Not easy, agreed, and completely inaccurate, but isn't that what rock'n'roll is for?

And the whole time driving up to 120 mph. Anyone who has fired an AK should know how hard ti would be just to keep it propped against a seat.

The training is mainly in handgun fights, so that is what they do by habit after that point. Who's to say he doesn't have a handgun and pulls it out as soon as a trooper gets to the left.

Either way the cops did a hell of a job. They guy kept shooting and no one got hurt.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
5/17/11 3:36 p.m.
N Sperlo's smilie wrote: After Willcoxson stopped at McNutt Hall, officers found his weapon **near the university’s replica of Stonehenge** at the northwest edge of campus.

Best part of the whole article!

N Sperlo wrote: Either way the cops did a hell of a job. They guy kept shooting and no one got hurt.

Agreed.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo Reader
5/17/11 3:40 p.m.
Duke wrote: Best part of the whole article!

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
5/17/11 8:24 p.m.

There are great officers and state police in that area. I prosecuted in Phelps County for a while. I even had this hoodie custom made to commemorate it. The symbol has no relation to the County, it was gratuitous.

Photobucket

gamby
gamby SuperDork
5/17/11 9:03 p.m.

Save a bunch of money, execute him now.

After reading that article, he has zero worth anyway. Seems like a lifelong criminal.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
5/17/11 9:43 p.m.

I have fired my AK47 from the rear of a bronco in an exercise, going at maybe 30 mph it is very hard to consistently hit a stationary target, and I wasn't driving.

That said, the cop was just trying to stay clear of the firing line, a Crown Vic is not built as a bulletproof car and he does nobody any good being shot by the fleeing offender.

Cop stayed under control, reported his position and stayed relatively cool on the radio.

Kudos to the young man, I hope he gets a medal for his control.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oGvvbBs07yXW2oNYRYopySUmeFRaIDnlU918CNkBgKDwSCBPq9OsJQTviWxvMDPu