1 2
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/19 8:03 a.m.

Horses are pure evil and were put here to hate and hurt us. They make delicious cheesesteaks and should be reminded of this often. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/19 9:06 a.m.

After re-reading the OP I think the title should have read more like this:

Mommy, Mommy, I want to be a cowgirl when I get big!

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
8/19/19 9:10 a.m.

In reply to warpedredneck :

My cousin and I had a calf we raised as a "pet," we named Josie.   Josie's mom died shortly after she was born, we bottle fed her, and cared for it until she was grown.  As she got bigger we eventually started riding her around like a horse.  We were rambunctious pre-teens and enjoyed rough housing with Josie when she was young, she loved it too.  The flaw was, rough housing with a <150 lb calf is fun, rough housing with an >800 lb heifer is dangerous.

Josie was turned out with the herd when she was grown.  The poor thing took about a year to acclimate and decide she was a cow and not a person.  She probably thought we abandoned her.  She was still always excited to see us, and wanted to headbutt us, ya know, for fun.

Coincidentally, my aunt who loved to fish was in the corner of the pasture under some giant oak trees, digging for some night crawlers.  My aunt is over weight, and had polio as a kid, so she doesn't get around so great.  Josie noticed my aunt in the pasture, got excited and decided to come say hi.  My aunt tried to shoo her off and swung the shovel at her.  Josie apparently thought this was a game, dodging the the less than athletic shovel swings, and made contact with my aunt.  It was a "gentle headbutt," but my aunt was now on the ground, screaming, being rolled around by Josie.  The noise just made it that much more fun for Josie.  My Grandpa eventually heard the noise, and came to investigate.  Grandpa fought through the laughter, and managed to "rescue" my aunt from Josie.

Josie eventually got moved to another pasture, and we're not supposed to talk about Josie around my aunt. laugh

MulletTruck
MulletTruck HalfDork
8/19/19 11:05 a.m.

I was on the school Rodeo team from grade 6 to grade 12. How I managed to survive it without dieing is a just a guess. I didnt learn my lesson and went on to have a lot of horses after that, more than I can count.

Trained a lot of ranch horses, show horses, pets. I wouldnt have it any other way.

some of the hardest work is just caring for them. Shoeing an adult mule that never had any foot care will make you a religious person! Doctoring the same mule is interesting too.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
8/19/19 5:52 p.m.

Any vehicle that weighs 2000 pounds, I want a windshield, so the bullriding is out. 

Have a niece that is a barrel racer, very tough gal, fast too.  You can get a college scholarship for rodeo, go figure.

Saw a guy who got his foot caught between a bull and a steel post in the chute.  He got to keep the foot.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/19 7:09 p.m.

In reply to MulletTruck :

Wow, that's a good looking mule!

What kind of horse is hitched to the jog cart?

Just for fun I'll leave these here. They're downloaded, nothing to do with me.

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
8/19/19 7:19 p.m.

A guy I worked with for a year made his real money as he called it shoeing racehorses. Years of experience and he still missed 2 weeks of work with broken ribs after one kicked him through a wooden stall. No thanks, I rode a horse once in my life and that was plenty 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/19 7:35 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

A friend of mine offered to pay my tuition for farrier school if I would partner with him shoeing standardbreds. 

I'm glad I went to vet school instead. Just cats and dogs now.

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
8/19/19 7:56 p.m.

We’ve been to a few Buck Brannaman clinics. He’s referred to as the horse whisperer and his technique is generally called natural horsemanship. He hates both terms. He likes to ask his students “ Have you ever been kicked, trampled or bitten? That’s natural horsemanship. Ain’t nothing natural about climbing onto the back of a horse.”

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
8/19/19 8:04 p.m.

I've ridden a mule bareback once. I can't say I recommend it...

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
8/19/19 11:37 p.m.

Family friend of ours that broke my sister's and my horses for us was a big "horse whisperer," kind of trainer.

He wouldn't use a bit, hackamores only, claimed that was all the control you needed.  My quarter horse, "Sadie," allegedly short for Satina Bear, more like short for Satan, changed the trainer's mind, he started using a bit on Sadie.

Sadie had a biting problem, too, I cured her of that, it's amazing how much control you can have over such a huge animal by grabbing their nose, she never bit another person.  She and my sister's horse would team up and chase and bite calves though, if there were new calves we had to keep the horses seperated from them.  They'd literally bite plugs out of them.  They're smarter animals than a lot of folks give them credit for, but in Sadie's case, can be mischievous, evil creatures too. 

Sadie eventually won though, the last time she threw me, I landed on my back, knocked the wind out of me, and when I got up, I was done, haven't been on a horse since, have no desire to be on another.  Sadie and I got along okay, after that.

In direct contrast to Sadie, the horse I had before her, Mousey, a buckskin mutt, was like a damn dog, loyal, friendly, loved people, loved to be ridden, and a hackamore was more than sufficient.  She was one of 3 horses I've ever liked, I was sad when she died.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
8/20/19 6:35 p.m.
ShawnG said:

I've ridden a mule bareback once. I can't say I recommend it...

I rode a mule bareback once, it was my sister's idea.  Rode all the way to the bottom of the hill.  He made a quick right turn at the fence, and I went over it.  No bones were broken

gencollon
gencollon New Reader
8/20/19 8:52 p.m.

I have a friend at work who was kicked by a Bronco he was riding at a rodeo last weekend. 

I don't know all the gory details, but I hear they sewed one of his ears back on.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/20/19 8:59 p.m.

I should've been a cowboy. I should've learned to rope and ride.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
8/20/19 9:05 p.m.

I like the story Robert Earl Keen tells about his 15 second rodeo career.

5 bulls at 3 seconds a piece.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/20/19 9:38 p.m.
ShawnG said:

I like the story Robert Earl Keen tells about his 15 second rodeo career.

5 bulls at 3 seconds a piece.

“Like gettin up to 70 mph on the highway then chuckin the steering wheel out the window”

MulletTruck
MulletTruck HalfDork
8/21/19 1:55 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

In reply to MulletTruck :

What kind of horse is hitched to the jog cart?

She was my cowboy Standardbred. Best heel horse I ever had as long as the cattle were on the smaller side. I bought her from a track in Michigan that was trying to make her into a pacer. In that picture she was in just regular shoes, he was a flashy driver.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
8/21/19 2:04 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

I was taught to not play with my food.  laugh

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
8/21/19 9:22 p.m.

I heard my Dad curse only twice in my life.  The 2nd time was when my first horse kicked me.

mary022
mary022 New Reader
8/21/19 11:32 p.m.

Cowboy is very enjoyable experience

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
8/22/19 12:59 a.m.
mary022 said:

Cowboy is very enjoyable experience

>snicker<

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.