1 2 3 4 ... 8
travellering
travellering Reader
8/16/17 6:20 p.m.
Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/17 6:38 p.m.

Gas shortages and heavy traffic is already being reported in Bend, Oregon.

My friends in the Bend/Redmond areas are annoyed, but are mostly just settling in to point and laugh at the mouth breathers.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/16/17 6:44 p.m.

In reply to Stefan:

Why in the world are people who want see a total eclipse "mouth breathers"???

I thought this is more of nerd-centric board, and would be more accepting of people who want to see a special event that is incredibly rare.

But no, they get labeled "mouth breathers". I guess I'm not cool anymore.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
8/16/17 7:14 p.m.

I'm absolutely going to see it. Probably take a variety of back roads down to Franklin KY. Already bought the viewing glasses off eBay, have a full tank of gas, will pack a lunch, and all 4 kids are excited to go see the unusual celestial event.

So yeah, we'll be there mouth breathing.

Stefan
8/16/17 7:21 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to Stefan: Why in the world are people who want see a total eclipse "mouth breathers"??? I thought this is more of nerd-centric board, and would be more accepting of people who want to see a special event that is incredibly rare. But no, they get labeled "mouth breathers". I guess I'm not cool anymore.

Because they aren't techies or nerds, they are tourists and many aren't the good tourists.

because they aren't prepared, they are a plague of locosts traveling through an area of the state that is woefully ill-prepared for a million extra people traipsing through the land and is also already suffering from issues related to forest fires.

I mean, its bloody Wednesday and the roads south are already full and the gas stations are running out? Seriously?

If/when we ever get hit with the big earthquake we are already over due to receive, this area of the world is screwed. Big time.

If you honestly think I'm calling you a "mouth-breather" then you have some personal issues to handle.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/16/17 7:25 p.m.

In reply to Stefan:

Man, you are angry.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/16/17 7:27 p.m.

If we don't choose the correct glasses, will we run the risk of the dreaded crank-walk?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
8/16/17 7:29 p.m.

I don't get the big deal about this one. There was one in...97? That I remember watching during metal shop class. We all went outside with the welding helmets

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
8/16/17 7:41 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: I don't get the big deal about this one. There was one in...97? That I remember watching during metal shop class. We all went outside with the welding helmets

I was in shop class as well. I remember we were working on the glider* and we all went out to see it as well. I think it was earlier than 97 though.

*We were actually building a full scale, fully functioning glider. That was very cool.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/16/17 8:03 p.m.

In reply to Nick (Bo) Comstock:

It was 94. I remember going outside at work

Could barley tell for that one. This is a lot different - way darker.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/17 8:53 p.m.

We are the purple column.

I'm glad I don't have to travel anywhere to see it.

I don't think South Carolina is anywhere near prepared for 2.1 million people to come visit. I'm hoping for the low side numbers.

Larger version of the map here.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/16/17 9:38 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to Stefan: Man, you are angry.

This might be my first thread that gets locked down.

Stefan
8/16/17 9:56 p.m.

I'm actually not, you're adding inflection to my words that don't exist because of your apparent unhappiness around believing that I would call you a mouth-breather.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/16/17 9:58 p.m.

I'm not compelled to watch... maybe on the internet tho.

former520
former520 HalfDork
8/16/17 10:41 p.m.

Anyone taking bets on number of mass suicides ala halley's comet in the 90s?

And/or stocking up on ammo? It would be North Korea's window to sneak into the country Red Dawn style under the darkness of the eclipse. It goes dark and when the light comes back it is nothing but paratroopers in the sky.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/17/17 6:28 a.m.
Stefan wrote:
I'm actually not, you're adding inflection to my words that don't exist because of your apparent unhappiness around believing that I would call you a mouth-breather.

You are mad at everyone, dude. Complaining that people are so excited about such a rare and spectacular event. To the point of calling people mouth breathers that they are interested in seeing it. Which tells the rest of us who do want to see it that we are somehow beneath you.

That's weak.

let them have fun. Make money on them.

This is a special event.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/17/17 6:31 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: We are the purple column. I'm glad I don't have to travel anywhere to see it. I don't think South Carolina is anywhere near prepared for 2.1 million people to come visit. I'm hoping for the low side numbers. Larger version of the map here.

It passes over my parent's home- I'm kinda jealous, but we are withing 30 miles of the center line for 2024. Where I can go out an piss off people like stefan because I want to see a cool event like this.

These are important scientific events- Einstein's theory of general relativity was proven by an eclipse- as it did show that the gravity of the sun bent light. A rare time where the light was fully blocked enough to see that effect.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
8/17/17 6:42 a.m.

My in-laws live right in the path. In that purple bar state. Wish we could go see them, but we'll be in the 80% range here, and we just got back from a week-long family trip with the little VCHs.

Not sure whether to blast "Total Eclipse of the Heart" or "Dark Side of the Moon". Maybe a little of both.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/17/17 7:17 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: My in-laws live right in the path. In that purple bar state. Wish we could go see them, but we'll be in the 80% range here, and we just got back from a week-long family trip with the little VCHs. Not sure whether to blast "Total Eclipse of the Heart" or "Dark Side of the Moon". Maybe a little of both.

Thankfully, we have another coming, soon. https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2024-april-8

I bet a lot of money that there are people near Carbondale, IL who are going to the great X marks the spot- where 2017 and 2024 cross each other's paths. One place in the world that gets 100% in the same spot just 7 years apart. Pretty cool. http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/overlap.htm

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/17 7:23 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to Nick (Bo) Comstock: It was 94. I remember going outside at work Could barley tell for that one. This is a lot different - way darker.

It had to be spring of 94 or 93 because i was in middle school. We all went outside and my buddy brought his dad's welding helmet. Started high school in fall 94 so definitely wasn't later than that.

I'm working in an empty condo monday so nobody will care if i go outside for 2 hours, or better yet get my work done before 1 and just leave

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
8/17/17 7:24 a.m.

We're only getting about 95% in central GA but since my wife can't get the day off I'm staying local. Weather in the SE is looking iffy anyway so I'm kind of glad I didn't plan to travel. Still need to buy some glasses if I can, but if not it will be sunglasses and a welding helmet.

If the weather's good I might take the boat out to the lake and float around on a tube with my welding helmet on and a beer in hand.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/17/17 7:32 a.m.

Columbia SC law enforcement will be making the interstate highways one-way only access and egress.

Wow.

Edit: Apparently this was a rumor- not happening.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/17/17 8:32 a.m.
Grtechguy wrote: We all went outside with the welding helmets

Hey, I have one of those! Great idea, thanks!

I don't know how much of it we'll be able to see here in Michigan, but I'd be remiss if I didn't at least go outside to check it out.

Also, this is happening. I must admit, that song is a guilty pleasure of mine.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/17/17 8:40 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
Grtechguy wrote: We all went outside with the welding helmets
Hey, I have one of those! Great idea, thanks! I don't know how much of it we'll be able to see here in Michigan, but I'd be remiss if I didn't at least go outside to check it out. Also, this is happening. I must admit, that song is a guilty pleasure of mine.

In SE MI- it will be 80-90%. So quite a lot more than in '94.

I'm actually planning on going home to watch instead of staying at work. Not enough going on to worry about staying.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
8/17/17 8:59 a.m.

A lot of people are going to be pissed if it rains on Monday.

The 'clips is scheduled to hit here around 2:40PM. Going to try to be home by then. But alfadriver's right- there's two more full solars scheduled for 2023 and 2024 for the US. Assuming we're all alive in 6 or 7 years. I think the 2024 one will go really close to my parents' house.

1 2 3 4 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u90UObbPtaeHhvJuNY0zpu55lqtqkpsMveEDgtmNBGGdOBw6E7quTKh98Ye3SGqZ