1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/17/17 8:04 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to David S. Wallens: That's no fair. You know all the cool jargon to make it sound official.

Well, you know.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/18/17 4:33 p.m.

The Myrtle Beach run could have been worse. There were a lot of tourists and quite a few people seemed to have their heads in the cloud. I came home through the woods to avoid the major roads.

The truck is parked, and I'm home for the duration. Hallelujah!

Doubleoh9
Doubleoh9 New Reader
8/19/17 2:19 p.m.

I'm expecting Nashville to be a mad house on Monday. I'll be heading out to dad's house on Old Hickory Lake to watch it. I'm pretty excited

Scooter
Scooter Dork
8/19/17 5:53 p.m.

So my auto darkening harbor freight helmet won't suffice?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/17 6:20 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: I'm not compelled to watch... maybe on the internet tho.

I'm in a region of something like 90% totality. I'll go outside and go "hmm, neat" then GBTW.

2024 will pass right over my home. That will be awesome.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
8/19/17 9:52 p.m.

Let me see if I understand this whole scenario correctly. At 2:30 Monday afternoon, it will get dark when the moon blocks the sun. Really, is that it? Doesn't it get dark every single night? Well, unless you live in a place that sees 6 months of sunlight and 6 months of darkness. People are acting like aliens are going to land and give away big piles of cash. Now that would be something to get excited about. On the other hand, I do hope something happens Monday afternoon that changes my attitude.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/19/17 10:16 p.m.

Dude, I'm only in it for the alien cash. Being up on the roof I expect I will get my cash sooner than the rookies at ground level.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/20/17 7:59 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to SVreX: We are closed because I don't want to deal with the idiots that will be on the road. I fully expect gridlock for a large part of the day.

Same here.

poopshovel again
8/20/17 8:27 a.m.
stafford1500 wrote: Rain or not the effect near the path of the totality will be interesting. The sudden onset of darkness will flip out a lot of animals. Listen to the nature around you before-during-after the peak and you may be more impressed than the effect of the temperature drop and the celestial lights getting turned off.

This will be kind of interesting to see, though we're about 100 miles south of the totality line. We'll be at the farm/creek property, so it'd be cool to see some Stephen King type E36 M3 go down

Speaking of Stephen King...I'm with Joe

"'Ain't nothin gonna happen that's any more'n a thunderhead goin across the sun, and they're all just about shootin off in their pants. I hope it rains! I hope it comes down s'hard it drowns that snooty c**t you work for, and the rest of em, too!'"

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/20/17 8:35 a.m.

In reply to ncjay:

It gets darker, but not like nighttime. Its...different. I remember the one in 94 and it was almost a phosphorescent feel to it. It's a lot less meh than you think.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/20/17 9:10 a.m.

We'll be at about 85 percent on the north side of the path of totality. I have wondered when we would be in the path, and I found out I'll be long gone dead as Vancouver is in the path in 2771. I can categoriiclly state I'll die sometime in the nex 700 years.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
8/20/17 11:54 a.m.

We haven't had a total eclipse that crossed the whole country for (centuries). It is a once in a life time event. I remember the partial '94 event. It got a little darker and kind of weird.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
8/20/17 11:58 a.m.
iceracer wrote: It got a little darker and kind of weird.

That "kind of weird" is probably because shadows become more defined as the sun gets obscured.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/20/17 12:04 p.m.

Yup that's it. Its like turning up the contrast on a picture.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/17 12:09 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

This is gonna be cool

Toyman01
8/20/17 7:14 p.m.

Eclipse glasses are now selling for upwards of $50 each. They were $4.99 for 10 pair a month ago. I'm a capitalist through and through and a firm believer in whatever the market will bear, but that's just asinine.

We gave our 5 extra sets to several neighborhood families. Hopefully that will drive the price down some.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/20/17 7:18 p.m.
iceracer wrote: We haven't had a total eclipse that crossed the whole country for (centuries). It is a once in a life time event. I remember the partial '94 event. It got a little darker and kind of weird.

I think i was in middle school at the time. I remember it being surreal.

Im seriously debating not going to work tomorrow due to the amount of morons on the interstates. Its already bad here today.

That, and i want to enjoy it.

Toyman01
8/20/17 7:20 p.m.

This is what traffic was like 45 minutes ago on I20 headed from Atlanta and Columbia.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/20/17 7:21 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Holy berkeleying E36 M3!

We got nothing on this.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/17 7:35 p.m.

July 1963

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/20/17 7:36 p.m.

poopshovel again
8/20/17 7:50 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Eclipse glasses are now selling for upwards of $50 each. They were $4.99 for 10 pair a month ago. I'm a capitalist through and through and a firm believer in whatever the market will bear, but that's just asinine. We gave our 5 extra sets to several neighborhood families. Hopefully that will drive the price down some.

Well howdy, neighbor! Can I borrey some o' them thurr glasses!?

Everybody around here has been out for weeks. Hitting wally world in the morning, hoping they have a secret "day-of" stash.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
8/20/17 8:48 p.m.

I'm either going to try the cereal box viewer, or just the old poke a hole in a piece of paper and watch the shadow on the ground. Working in W Chester OH they say right around 230pm is the big time and I think 90ish%.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/20/17 8:55 p.m.

Annnd... it looks like cloud cover in Northern Illinois. I swear, the mere mention of a celestial event,and Illinois fogs over. I'm reasonably certain that if I stepped outside right now and shouted, " Meteor shower, meteor shower, meteor shower!" I could conjure up a damn tornado!

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/20/17 8:56 p.m.

Don't forget, colanders are pretty fun to see the shadows with.

There were a bunch of people doing it during what I guess was a partial eclipse in Sacramento in 2012.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NFCGirwnQgCwIBwwhuwCAy9NjKRm6NtdK5hOl5J63LWkNsUg82Z0dwjmmxBVuvsN