1 2
ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
10/3/08 9:56 a.m.

I've always been a sleeper...need lots of sleep and don't fall to sleep well at "bedtime" as prescribed my parents so many years ago.

College was crazy...go to sleep at 1 or 2 and wake up around 11:00.

Getting up for work was always a treat...but then I changed to self employment for a few years and that transformed me. It was like, "Gotta get up and out the door before anyone else wakes up and finds reasons for me not to go to work." I stopped using an alarm during that time and rarely had a problem getting up by 7:00.

Now I'm more-or-less single...so I do like to use the snooze button. I set my alarm for 7:00...hit snooze (5 min snooze on the cell phone) and still make it to work by about 7:35.

When I worked on the race teams...I'd go to sleep in my clothes for the next day with a had on the nightstand. I could be out the door in as long as it took to take a whiz...and would wake up on the way to the track.

When racing I realized that 6 hours of sleep is adequate. 4 hours was about minimum...andything less, just stay up and pay the concequences later. I prefer a solid 8-9 hours, given a choice.

Clem

Hal
Hal HalfDork
10/3/08 10:56 a.m.

I need 8 hours of sleep. Doesn't matter when I go to sleep, I will wake up 8 hours later and be ready to go immediately. Don't even need an alarm clock, 8 hours +/- 10 minutes and I am awake. Even when I worked 2nd and 3rd shifts in the summers while I was teaching it was the same.

My wife will sleep as long as she can. If the alarm goes off and she turns it off without getting up she will fall back asleep for at least another hour. After I retired and she was still working we had to move the alarm clock from the night stand to the dresser so she would get to work on time.

dan_efi
dan_efi New Reader
10/3/08 6:06 p.m.

My sleeping habits reflect how my body and mind just do not fit into a standard 9-5 society. Favorite is to be in bed around 10pm or 11pm, alarm at 5am, snooze a couple times then outta bed and outta the house in 5 minutes. start work at 6am, finish at 2:30pm, have rest of afternoon/evening for myself.

I wake up easier at 5am than I do at 7am, or even worse at 9am. BUT if I don't absolutely have to get out of bed, some unknown force holds me there until 2pm, even after a full week of working the early shift. That's why up at 5am feels so productive. I didn't say awake at 5am, full consiousness only is not until 8am or 9am.

Problem with all this is that I'm really a night owl. I'll be awake until the sun comes up without issue. Even hitting the bed doesn't guarantee sleep, that can take 2 or 3 hours on typical nights.

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
10/3/08 6:22 p.m.

Mornings are my mortal enemy. My whole family is made up of night owls. My mom is so bad, she's nocturnal (she stays up till 3am or 4am!).

I am an incoherent zombie if I have to wake up sometime before 10am. My current job is 4pm-midnight, which I'm quite happy with. Interviewers were surprised that I actually wanted swing or graveyard shift positions, and not just for the extra pay.

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
10/4/08 1:16 a.m.

I'm a late sleeper here... I don't think I have "naturally" woke up earlier than 10-something for years. My problem is that I have trouble convincing myself to get out of bed in the morning; It's a relatively simple task in theory but it's something I'm in battle with every day. I have three alarms set on my phone, a lamp set on a timer, blinds that I open before going to bed, and an alarm clock set to the news, but I'm capable of tuning them all out.

As someone else said, if I find myself going to sleep less than about four hours than when I need to wake up, I might as well forget it. I'm not waking up on time no matter what. I find that a really big/fatty breakfast will keep me awake until four or five-o'clock; afterwards I pretty much crash. Strangely, after a night completely without sleep, I find decision-making to be much easier than when normally rested.

By far, I am most focused between the hours of 10 pm and 4 in the morning.

Luke
Luke Dork
10/4/08 1:45 a.m.

I'm fairly adaptable. I can persuade myself to rise early if it means getting to class or work on time. On the other hand, I have no qualms sleeping past 11 on a weekend. Throw in the occasional all-nighter due to study or partying commitments, and you have a nice synopsis of my sleeping habits.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
10/4/08 4:13 p.m.

I get up at 5:20 and watch TV/ eat breakfast. At 6:00, I get in the shower. At 6:10, I get dressed, and at 6:25, I get in the car to go to school. I'm a morning person.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
10/4/08 9:14 p.m.

My wife says that being a moring person should be grounds for devorce, hahaha. She hate's the fact that can wake up when ever I need to.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy New Reader
10/5/08 1:13 a.m.
She hate's the fact that can wake up when ever I need to.

I always wondered why I got in trouble for getting up in the morning at the time I did... and why is it so DAMN hard to get out of bed without waking the S.O? I don't have that problem anymore.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p5GR5D6K7YBsA3hguDKHwCtBAJBNi0L93WUUNjhn49wW46gqZJpLkfPTxRwAUBDb