1 2 3 4
NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
6/21/18 9:32 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

Ya, thats about what I figured and a bit over my budget plus the AC went out overnight so that'll be $$$.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/21/18 9:33 a.m.
mtn said:

Lessons learned in the past couple of days: Facebook Marketplace has worse buyers than craigslist, and craigslist is dead. Getting ready to go to eBay only.

I've had somewhat good luck with FBM, but I was dealing with fairly specialized trading groups for that type of item.  In my case it was older mtn bike parts.  Sold them to buyers from all over the world with no issues.  These are usually closed groups you need to find and then send a request to join. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/21/18 9:33 a.m.
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy said:
mtn said:

Lessons learned in the past couple of days: Facebook Marketplace has worse buyers than craigslist, and craigslist is dead. Getting ready to go to eBay only.

Book face buyer's WORSE than Craigslist buyers. Whoa, that's saying something. Be aware of eBay's fee structure. Good luck.

I've sold enough on eBay in the day to know what I'm doing, and I've kept up with their fee schedule. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/18 9:35 a.m.
mtn said:

Book face buyer's WORSE than Craigslist buyers. Whoa, that's saying something. Be aware of eBay's fee structure. Good luck.

truth

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/18 9:35 a.m.

so mtn, what kind of stuff are you selling?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/21/18 9:39 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

so mtn, what kind of stuff are you selling?

So far I have a portable AC/Dehumidifier, a window unit AC, and a set of golf clubs listed. 

Next up to list (tonight) are a Reel-style manual lawn mower, the locking lug nuts that are on the Kia right now, a Car-Top carrier, an ugly antique chair, a few designer shirts, the cargo net that came with the Kia, an old Gerber multi tool (minty!), and some ties from my grandpa. 

Also have some sports balls that I'll just take to play it again sports.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/18 9:43 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Pics of the ugly antique chair?

slefain
slefain PowerDork
6/21/18 9:48 a.m.
mtn said:

I was going to put some stuff on NextDoor and see what happens. I had already ruled out CL and Facebook.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/21/18 9:49 a.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

Sorry, man, good luck getting cool again.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/21/18 9:51 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to mtn :

None of the chair, but here is the matching sofa (that is already gone)

Very solid construction, frame is over 100 years old—it was my great grandparents. Reupholstered by my parents in the 90’s, apparently they had gone blind for that period of their life. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/18 1:38 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I like the pic above it too - USS Constitution? I actually think I used to have that pic framed the same way...

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/21/18 1:45 p.m.

No, not the Constitution. I forget what it is, I had looked it up at one point. We found it at an estate sale a little while ago. Wife and I both liked it, so it now lives on our wall. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/22/18 1:00 p.m.

And we have sold our first item:

• Total: $75
    • PING Eye2 orange dot irons: $75
mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/28/18 9:36 a.m.

Keeping it ticking in the right direction

• Total: $260
    • PING Eye2 orange dot irons: $75
    • Portable AC Unit: $130
    • Window AC Unit: $80
    • Purchased 2 Bench vises at estate sale: -$25

I have one of the vises for sale for $45. Had some interest in it. I should probably just lower the price to $30 and get it gone; my hope is to get 1 free vise out of the deal. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/28/18 10:31 a.m.
mtn said:
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to mtn :

So, here might be an issue - are you posting pictures in your Craigslist ads? You really need to. Even bad pics are better than no pics.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/28/18 10:35 a.m.
dculberson said:
mtn said:
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to mtn :

So, here might be an issue - are you posting pictures in your Craigslist ads? You really need to. Even bad pics are better than no pics.

Everything has at least 3 pictures (the chair hasn't been posted yet)

TJL
TJL New Reader
6/28/18 12:08 p.m.

My brother always swore the better the pics, the less people were interested. He does photography so had nice clear pics of stuff. Maybe it was too honest? Looked too scammy or looking like a retailer and not just some dude. Some quick phone pics should be good. The usual obvious scam listings tend to have real nice pics. 

When im looking, pics are a big help. Especially since most people listing cant spell so if your looking for specifics you will miss out. I like certain craftsman riding mowers/beefy garden tractors. One of the fancier ones i got, a gt3000 if i remember right had EVERYTHING misspelled except for “mower” which was my wide search. Had the guy listed it right he would have gotten more $ and sold it quicker. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/8/18 6:26 p.m.

Was just out of town for a week, but got back and making some small progress:

• Total: $280
    • PING Eye2 orange dot irons: $75
    • Portable AC Unit: $130
    • Window AC Unit: $80
    • Purchased 2 Bench vises at estate sale: -$25
    • Manual reel style mower: $20

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
7/8/18 9:33 p.m.

150$ for a traxxas slash!  I’m wanting in on this. I have a Miata hardtop for sale, but I feel like trying to hit a grand with that thing is cheating!

i have a ford ranger topper I should sell, and at least an old shotgun or two!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/8/18 11:24 p.m.
joey48442 said:

150$ for a traxxas slash!  I’m wanting in on this. I have a Miata hardtop for sale, but I feel like trying to hit a grand with that thing is cheating!

i have a ford ranger topper I should sell, and at least an old shotgun or two!

Yeah, I feel like throwing car stuff into this is cheating. Only because the garage is so much less of a problem than the house. Ironically, half of the stuff I’m selling is in the garage. 

Also not including guitars, but those live in their own environment with their own economy and their own budget. 

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
7/9/18 7:02 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

Some car stuff I think is cheating, but the old ranger topper in my backyard has got to go!  It’s nice but I never need it. Thought we might camp in the back but now that we built a camper van we don’t need it

chandler
chandler PowerDork
7/9/18 8:50 a.m.
mtn said:

Buuut, sometimes the lady is ACTUALLY clearing out her Ex’s crap and you buy a set of real Walker Evans (didn’t know that was a thing) Wheels for your dodge truck for $75.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
7/22/18 3:19 p.m.

Sold another 45 bucks of old Rc stuff. Anyone want to buy a couple old tamiya blackfoot basket cases???

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
8/31/18 8:42 a.m.

Sold a traxxas slash for 150$, and the old tamiyas for 60$!  I love getting rid of stuff I have no use for!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/31/18 8:44 a.m.

I keep having folks flake on me. I'm about to go to Ebay only. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gWF4kZPpzmIWDB23mLaFhFEV64zkpQJnF0KHLpWsA5uHWUiPxZIuRKqOv8jcwG8F