_
_ Dork
4/4/20 2:57 p.m.

I've been playing a musical instrument since i was a kid in grade school. I know many here are also musicians. 
I currently play guitar, but my previous discipline was as a man of the sticks. I talked my buddy into getting a drum set. I have been teaching him. He's getting a little plateau'd in skill at the moment. So I would like to get his enthusiasm going again. 

what are some relatively easy songs to play with a guitarist and drummer? I listen to and play just about anything. He's a big Talking Heads fan. Most of their music is very 80's synth. So not many of their songs we can play. Looking for suggestions. WALTER listens to a very "eclectic" choice of music. Everything from prog rock to expiremental. Seems to like 80's Metallica. Loves early punk. 

(edit: easy, but kick ass and preferably standard tuning)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/4/20 3:08 p.m.

Ramones?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/20 3:24 p.m.

In reply to _ :

Most of my cover repertoire revolves around 70's guitar rock, which would probably meet your criteria if that's something you'd both be into. 

If you have a wah pedal & a good ankle some funky jams would be good to groove on too. 

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
4/4/20 3:26 p.m.

The Clash. Mostly simple, good fun. 

_
_ Dork
4/4/20 3:53 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

Ooh yeah how could I forget about them! 
we like funky. I don't have a wahwah pedal, but can add the effect via my amp (fender mustang 1+ dean caddy)

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
4/4/20 4:40 p.m.

The White Stripes and the Black Keys are both guitar and drum bands.

I could probably keep up with Meg White's drumming and I don't even know how to hold the drummy smashbats.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/4/20 4:56 p.m.

Seven Nation Army

_
_ Dork
4/4/20 5:28 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah we've done most of those songs before. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/4/20 6:34 p.m.

The opening to hot for teacher. 

Wait, no, that was guitar hero. 

Early offspring is fast, but mostly repetitive beats. Learn and work your way up to speed. Then? Cannibal corpse. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/4/20 9:10 p.m.

On a slightly more friend oriented note- blue Monday. Great drums, couple of excellent fills, and I'm pretty sure if he likes the talking heads he likes that song. New order or orgy edition. 

4/4/20 9:25 p.m.
_ said:

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah we've done most of those songs before. 

Ok, I guess it depends on the skill levels here. Id probably start mining classic rock, Rambling Gambling Man is one beat all the way thru but I'm not sure how it would sound without a full band.

Led Zeppelin stuff can stretch him some. I'd stay away from Cream since Baker was a monster. Aerosmith could be a good one, nothing too hard drum wise there. How about Born To Be Wild? Johnny B Goode? Dazed and Confused?

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/4/20 10:18 p.m.

The Minutemen

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/5/20 7:17 a.m.

Sabbath.

4/5/20 7:56 a.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) said:

Sabbath.

Bill Ward is sort of underrated as a drummer, there's some tricky stuff there

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/5/20 8:36 a.m.

Go to the Bill Withers thread and watch the drummer.  Serious lesson in less is more in a couple of those times.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
4/5/20 9:11 a.m.

AC/DC for great songs with easy drums.  This for an easy song you can turn down for coffee shops and up for dungeons.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/5/20 10:17 a.m.

Nirvana.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
4/5/20 10:52 a.m.

I see The Black Keys already got mentioned. “I Got Mine” is one of my favorite basic jams and it can be as heavy or bluesy as you want.

”Gold on the Ceiling” is another fun one with somewhat of a punchy 80s feel.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/5/20 11:49 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Seven Nation Army

Yup. It's got a good grove and you can dance to it. (Also, easy to play.)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OgEltsW4MwwIqqkLqH0H4a4MOE7ABF0Ll93ajJe3BeJYcaBlJ0HCgqcArl2R23aa