volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
April 3, 2017 8:29 a.m.

I hadn't even set my laptop bag down at my desk this morning when I overheard a group of women coworkers nearby discussing a problem with one of them's minivan. Being the nice guy I am, I asked her what the issue was.

"Well, the other day, it started steaming, and I asked my brother to take a look at it, so he added some oil to it, drove it around, and said it was fine. Then I got to work today, and everyone says my car is steaming and leaking brown stuff."

I go out to the parking lot to look at her vehicle (a blue, 2001 Ford Windstar) and find the coolant reservoir a) devoid of liquid and b) full of brown, sticky mess. I went back inside and grabbed the only thing I could find that would hold liquid - a coffee pot - and proceeded to fill her van with water, running back and forth from the kitchen in our office with pots full of water. Then I had her start the engine.

IMG_20170403_083958

IMG_20170403_083953

IMG_20170403_084011

This was above the front valve cover, below the intake manifold. It looks to be some sort of Ford V6 engine- I'm guessing a 3 liter or 3800? Whatever came in these things. I guessed head gasket or intake gasket. The van has 138,000 miles, and she's had it for about 3 years, and said she basically just drives it. She didn't even know where the temperature gauge was on the dash.

I told her to fill the reservoir with water this afternoon, drive slowly and carefully, watch the temperature gauge, run the heater full blast, and stop to fill the reservoir with water if the temperature gets above 3/4, and she'll probably make it home (she only lives about 7 miles away). And to call her mechanic today.

1988RedT2 UltimaDork
April 3, 2017 8:38 a.m.

Advise her to sell the vehicle on craigslist. Tell her to put "small coolant leak, easy fix" in the description.

April 3, 2017 8:52 a.m.

To add insult on top of injury, she just dropped $1500 on a transmission for it. I'm guessing she has the 3800 V6, which was known for both a) killing transmissions, and b) blowing head gaskets.

patgizz UltimaDork
April 3, 2017 9:01 a.m.

Other advice: never let her brother open a hood again

Klayfish UberDork
April 3, 2017 9:12 a.m.

Well, from the looks of the photos, you poured coffee on her engine. You even put a bit of creamer in it. How rude of you...

spitfirebill UltimaDork
April 3, 2017 9:16 a.m.

Her first mistake was buying a Windstar. The second mistake was repairing the transmission on the Windstar.

April 3, 2017 9:23 a.m.
patgizz wrote: Other advice: never let her brother open a hood again

Yeah. I checked the oil and it was overfull. So, too much oil, not enough coolant. The law of averages does not apply to automotive fluids.

petegossett UltimaDork
April 3, 2017 10:37 a.m.

How's the subframe?

April 3, 2017 10:45 a.m.
petegossett wrote: How's the subframe?

Yeah, I know there's a recall on those. It's not rusty, fortunately.

bentwrench Dork
April 3, 2017 10:46 a.m.

Could bought 3 (or more) Windstars for the 1500$ trans repair.

April 3, 2017 11:14 a.m.

Upon closer inspection, there is some rust in the rear of the front subframe mount. Not terrible, but getting there. Surprising as the sheetmetal looks in good shape on it. Add to the equation 4 nearly bald, and badly dry-rotted (though freshly armor-alled!) tires, and I suggested it might be time to start minivan shopping.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
April 3, 2017 11:16 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: Upon closer inspection, there is some rust in the rear of the front subframe mount. Not terrible, but getting there. Surprising as the sheetmetal looks in good shape on it. Add to the equation 4 nearly bald, and badly dry-rotted (though freshly armor-alled!) tires, and I suggested it might be time to start minivan shopping.

Doesn't Ford have a buyback out for Windstars with rusty subframes?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
April 3, 2017 11:18 a.m.

If there's a buyback I think you can do her a favor with some muriatic acid and rock salt

April 3, 2017 11:36 a.m.

I sent her a link to the recall details. She might get some money out of this.

maschinenbau HalfDork
April 3, 2017 1:26 p.m.

Wow this makes me relieved. We almost pulled the trigger on an 07 Freestar this weekend until I read about the trans issue and that the recall only covers 04-05, but the same problem happens on 06 and 07. Apparently this is still no true fix for it. Torque converter splines just suddenly go.

Instead I have a T&C in the driveway with the classic Chrysler timing chain rattle.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

9 hours ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

10 hours ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

You Need This: A Quite Eye-Catching Green Over Red Ferrari

11 hours ago in News

Not your usual Ferrari color combo.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

11 hours ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Your Projects: JDM Autozam AZ-1 Kei Car

12 hours ago in News

What are the realities of importing a JDM kei car to the U.S.?

Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Lee Grimes of Koni Shocks

1 day ago in News

This may shock you, but suspension is arguably the most important part of going fast.

Classic Motorsports Monterey Welcome Party Welcomes 2000-Plus Gearheads

1 day ago in Articles

Last night we threw a party, and more than 2000 people came to celebrate.

You Need This: E46-Chassis BMW M3 for $6000!?

2 days ago in News

Could this M3 donate its heart to your next project?

Deal of the Month: Free Trackside Companion!

2 days ago in News

Ever wished you had a handy guide on how to dial in your alignment or adjust your dampers?

This Tuesday: Join Us at Track Night in America

3 days ago in News

This Tuesday we'll be running at Palm Beach International Raceway

Experience Monterey With Us

3 days ago in News

We're on our way out to Monterey, California, for car week.

Tomorrow, August 15: Join our Monterey Kickoff Cruise-In

3 days ago in News

Our Monterey welcome party is taking over all of downtown Pacific Grove.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
5sS8lp4dRJbrYZu98WUix9y9E9cyNcLI