chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
6/28/12 8:42 p.m.

I will never forgive him for doing this to my truck.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
6/28/12 8:44 p.m.

Damn, those are good trucks too.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
6/28/12 8:48 p.m.
chknhwk wrote: I will never forgive him for doing this to my truck.

If you sold it to him then it is no longer your truck.

DrBoost
DrBoost UberDork
6/28/12 8:49 p.m.

I've done that to almost every Jeep I've ever owned. But it was on purpose, and they drove out of it. Those were the days.

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle HalfDork
6/28/12 8:51 p.m.

My dad did something similar with my truck, but it only got scratches and a couple scrapes. I had just gotten my Dakota (2wd) and I had my 92 Explorer 4x4 for sale. A friend wanted to buy it and I took him for a test drive. He asked about the 4x4 capability and I was happy to take him down a trail. I got stuck. I called my dad to get one of his friends that has a big truck to help pull me out. He didnt want to, so he bounced my 2wd truck down the trail at speeds fast enough not to get stuck... The front and rear bumpers were sand-blasted and scraped the whole way across. Neither of us were happy.

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
6/28/12 8:54 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote:
If you sold it to him then it is no longer your truck.

Wrong. That is my truck. Nobody before me or after me owned it the same way I did. It's mine. I just don't have it anymore. Same with my Jaguar.

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
6/28/12 8:57 p.m.

I guess i was confused by the title...
'Why you should never sell your truck to your family members'

...so, i will ask, "why exactly should I not sell a truck to a family member?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
6/28/12 9:48 p.m.

I don't sell any vehicles to family members or friends. It always comes back to bite you in the ass.

I sold a truck to my dad's friend once. The last time I saw it, it was wrecked.

Lesley
Lesley UberDork
6/28/12 10:06 p.m.

I don't sell cars to friends. Because two or three years later when it needs brake pads, you never hear the end of it.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
6/29/12 3:45 a.m.

bought a car from my wifes aunt and uncle... we needed something and they let us do payments...

I felt bad for them because a month after we got it the radiator died (cracked plastic end tank)... they'd had it since new and just let the mechanic look it over... and almost a year after we had it the trans went... I never was upset at em or anything and tried to make sure they understood that... it part of 10+ year old used cars... stuff wares out and requires work... no biggie...

rallymodeller
rallymodeller New Reader
6/29/12 3:52 a.m.

Not needing it, I sold my near-perfect condition 1990 Honda Accord EX-R to my ex-wife (we split amicably). Within three months, her new boyfriend had almost destroyed it, wrecking the front subframe and front hubs by doing burnouts. She dumped him, but the damage was done.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
6/29/12 5:27 a.m.

you sold it.. it's not yours.. don't get upset when something happens to it.. worry about stuff that matters and that you have some degree of control over..

i traded my Nova to a guy even up for a 74 Monte.. i spent almost $20k over a 5 year period making the car awesome in pretty much every way except for the lack of shiny paint and a nice interior.. he didn't like most of the stuff i did to it and told me he was gonna change it back to stock.. i told him to have at it and do whatever he wanted to his new car..

i sold that Monte to a friend that said he was going to use it as a winter beater.. he in turn sold it to his 17 year old brother in law as a first car beater beater.. whatever- not mine any more..

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/29/12 6:55 a.m.
Lesley wrote: I don't sell cars to friends. Because two or three years later when it needs brake pads, you never hear the end of it.

This ^^^^^^

I wont take friends or family to purchase a car. Because of my ability to fix cars I am supposed to have the capacity to bridge the space time continuum and know what is going to brake and when.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Reader
6/29/12 7:09 a.m.

Sorry to hear about the truck. A few years ago I sold my brother my ultra clean 1994 Dodge Dakota V8 4x4 and have had to just watch the truck get the ever loving E36 M3 beat out of it . This has been a bit hard to watch over the last few years but it is not mine.

But I do approve of this thread's title

Paul B

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
6/29/12 7:11 a.m.

I didn't want to sell my highly-modified turbocharged Plymouth Duster with a fully-built turbo motor, but I'm glad I sold it to a guy who lived 8 hours away. That way I wasn't there to see it when he blew up the motor I spent months building.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
6/29/12 9:23 a.m.

We'll sell cars to friends and family. Of course, it helps when you are all more or less on the same page--if something breaks, it breaks. Tough E36 M3.

Dad and I shared a car for awhile, and then I went to college and he got tired of stick shift. The car went to my older brother, a guy who absolutely beats on vehicles. Rides em hard, puts them up soaking wet. The car in question was a relatively minty SAAB 9-5. I'm pretty sure that he took the value down $4000 in 6 months. I was mad because it was "my" car. It eventually did become my car again, and I was fighting with the results of his ham-fistedness for the next 1.5 years.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/29/12 9:41 a.m.

Is it just me, or does it look like that truck is just a gentle tow away from being as good as new.

Oh... I see. You just wanted to post up a picture of your father dumping the truck into a ditch. I understand.

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
6/29/12 10:17 a.m.

Sold my old Plymouth station wagon to my teenage nephew. I told hime to be sure and check the oil since it uses some.

Several months later ,he calls me and said the engine set up.

I said, "Gee. that is too bad." Silence.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/29/12 10:46 a.m.

I sold my 1991 Ranger to one of my subordinates a few years ago. I bought the truck for $600 from a fellow member of my Mustang club. I drove it for about 2 years before the wife made me get rid of it. The only issue I ever had was a small 3" piece of heater hose that split due to age (2.3L Lima FTW)

My subordinate needed transportation due to him being brand new to the military and the base. I happily sold it to him for $600. Within 3 months of him driving it, the brake master cylinder failed and the clutch slave cylinder died. He bought the parts and I installed them. The truck started to have other minor problems pop up and he didn't want to fix them (not a lick of mechanical ability).

Him and his berkeleytard buddy thought it would be fun to destroy the truck by kicking in all the panels and smashing the interior . The truck sat in the dorm parking lot for about 3 months before he sold it to the junkyard for $100. I would of gave him $150 and bought it back (pre-destruction of course).

He bought a new 2009 WRX to replace the truck. I feel sorry for the service writer who has to deal with him.

triumphcorvair
triumphcorvair New Reader
6/29/12 3:34 p.m.

Usually its the otherway around. Kids do the darndest things!

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
7/4/12 5:42 a.m.
Donebrokeit wrote: Sorry to hear about the truck. A few years ago I sold my brother my ultra clean 1994 Dodge Dakota V8 4x4 and have had to just watch the truck get the ever loving E36 M3 beat out of it . This has been a bit hard to watch over the last few years but it is not mine. But I do approve of this thread's title Paul B

My wife has that same issue with her 03 Cobra she sold the day she came home from the hospital after delivering our son. It was a bittersweet parting because of that but 14 months later she's still talking about hearing it drive past her office. I feel for her.

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
7/4/12 5:42 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Is it just me, or does it look like that truck is just a gentle tow away from being as good as new. Oh... I see. You just wanted to post up a picture of your father dumping the truck into a ditch. I understand.

Ding ding ding! On both accounts, actually.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/4/12 4:46 p.m.

I would've done the same thing!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/4/12 5:15 p.m.
Lesley wrote: I don't sell cars to friends. Because two or three years later when it needs brake pads, you never hear the end of it.

Yup. BTDT, never again.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XhisAv0Xq7oGz7acW5GKTAw2UxLR5ytv1TtHCbLyXWqNOaY5WDnl2QI9rhyJ0tNu