1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 42
JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
6/19/17 8:24 p.m.
dculberson wrote: I'm so glad to see this updated. There's no shame in getting help. I was almost giddy to see you having posted in this again.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I honestly have been feeling the "you had someone do stuff, you're not a real GRMer" blues.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
6/19/17 8:32 p.m.

JoeyM no....Thank you, I had no idea that Datsun even made cars back then.....oops silly me.....you're doing a wonderful job. This build and several others like it, have kept me sane while floundering in the engineering/design/price of a barrel of oil conundrum searching the interwebb for meaningful employment.....THANK YOU

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
6/21/17 4:14 p.m.

I won't be able to do anything with them for a while, but the turn signals have arrived.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
6/21/17 5:09 p.m.

This is such a rad project.

If I had the shop space I'd totally be in for something like this!

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
6/23/17 6:37 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
dculberson wrote: I'm so glad to see this updated. There's no shame in getting help. I was almost giddy to see you having posted in this again.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. I honestly have been feeling the "you had someone do stuff, you're not a real GRMer" blues.

Glad you're back!!!

I never hesitate to get help. That is still GRMing to me.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
6/23/17 7:12 p.m.
wheels777 wrote: I never hesitate to get help. That is still GRMing to me.

Thank you, That means so much. You're the best fabricator I know.

Also, thank you for the times you would reach out to me via PM....it was greatly appreciated.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
6/23/17 7:23 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
wheels777 wrote: I never hesitate to get help. That is still GRMing to me.
Thank you, That means so much. You're the best fabricator I know. Also, thank you for the times you would reach out to me via PM....it was greatly appreciated.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/3/17 10:41 p.m.

I have the rebuilt SU carbs and the new ignition parts from RevTec Race Engineering.

Why did I go to them for help? Greg Ira had a 240z in GRM's 2009 "Old School" issue that used SU carbs and an MSD ignition, which is what we're planning to do for the '32 replica. He rebuilt the carbs and chose the parts that he thought I'd need to get my car on the street. We're going to try this setup

• ignition box: MSD Street Fire CD Ignition, part # 5520
  • Coil: MSD Blaster 2 Coil, part # 8202

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/17 5:37 a.m.

Awesome to see this back at the top.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/4/17 9:42 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Awesome to see this back at the top.

Thanks.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/9/17 1:13 a.m.

Minor update: "Rustoleum fixes stuff"

The bright aluminum of the grill insert looked wrong, so I brushed some black rustoleum onto it. Here's the before and after.

I think that minor change makes it look a little more like the original

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
7/9/17 5:01 a.m.

What are you going to use for fenders? I bumped a thread for the Star up so you can partially see the fiberglass fenders on page one (covered by other parts) and steel fenders on page 2. Not the rounded shape the D has, but a shape. If you want them let us know, we will throw them into the trailer in October. I also have a 1925 Dodge front apron.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/9/17 1:39 p.m.
wheels777 wrote: What are you going to use for fenders?

I was going to try to fabricate fenders out of clothes dryer drums I had been collecting......

....but it sounds like you may have a much better option.

wheels777 wrote: I bumped a thread for the Star up so you can partially see the fiberglass fenders on page one (covered by other parts) and steel fenders on page 2. Not the rounded shape the D has, but a shape. If you want them let us know, we will throw them into the trailer in October. I also have a 1925 Dodge front apron.

Sweet! I will check them out. Thank you for thinking of me.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/9/17 2:01 p.m.

I can't see the pictures from the first page - hosting issue - but the second page fender pics are fabulous.

That's really cool of you to offer, and yes, I'm sure I could use them. Flat-cross section fenders are found on some 1932 datsuns. I'll explain below.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/9/17 2:29 p.m.

OK, I found the post I was looking for. It was on page 10 of this thread. As you know, I've been modeling my build on this tan and brown car....

....but I'm also aware of the existence of this green car.

The green car is - as near as I've been able to tell from searching the web - a 1932 Datsun* Type 11 that owned by Toyota and kept in their museum in Ginza (Tokyo). Here are some more photos of it that clearly show off the flat fenders.

The green car and the brown car differ in a number of less obvious ways - angle of back end, the way the beads are rolled in the metal at the top of the door, the style of upholstery, left or right hand drive, etc. Clearly, though, flat fendered phaeton body cars were produced by Datsun in 1932 and I'd be totally legit in using flat fenders and registering the car as a "1932" replica.

===

[*] - It is weird that in English speaking countries the name is written as Datson (pre-1933) and Datsun. In Japanese it is written in katakana as ダットサン (Da-pause-to-sa-n), which means a more literal "translation" would be Datsan, a spelling that I don't think has ever been used in any English promotional material.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
7/10/17 6:57 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: I can't see the pictures from the first page

Bottom picture on page 1 is a stack of fiberglass parts that came with the race car parts. There is a hood on top of the 27 Ford fenders. I will try to get more pics.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/10/17 1:07 p.m.
wheels777 wrote:
JoeyM wrote: I can't see the pictures from the first page
Bottom picture on page 1 is a stack of fiberglass parts that came with the race car parts. There is a hood on top of the 27 Ford fenders. I will try to get more pics.

Doh! OK, I see them.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/2/17 3:13 p.m.

Here's a link to video of the engine firing up and running.
1932 datsun replica - engine fires up for first time

That's an L24e from a 1982 maxima station wagon (810/910 bluebird) mated to a 240z intake. The fuel pump is a holley red, the ignition is MSD. I pulled the drive train and removed the fuel injection years ago, but didn't know what to do afterwards. My mechanic put it all together and brought it to life.

It has been ten years since I started this project, and I'm very happy to hear that sound.

crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
8/2/17 4:08 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: Here's a link to video of the engine firing up and running. 1932 datsun replica - engine fires up for first time That's an L24e from a 1982 maxima station wagon (810/910 bluebird) mated to a 240z intake. The fuel pump is a holley red, the ignition is MSD. I pulled the drive train and removed the fuel injection years ago, but didn't know what to do afterwards. My mechanic put it all together and brought it to life. It has been ten years since I started this project, and I'm very happy to hear that sound.

Quite the achievement! Sounds just like a 240. I dig it.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/2/17 5:47 p.m.
crankwalk wrote:
JoeyM wrote: Here's a link to video of the engine firing up and running. 1932 datsun replica - engine fires up for first time
Quite the achievement! Sounds just like a 240. I dig it.

Thank you! I am excited that he has it running. Soon I will be able to start running the harness, lights, turn signals, etc.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/2/17 8:31 p.m.

Woo Hoo! It's always great to hear a project fire for the first time.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/21/17 5:35 p.m.

It doesn't just run, it now runs and idles properly.

datsun replica can idle

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/22/17 6:47 p.m.

Joey, something's up with the link that you just posted.

Share away! (And congratulations, of course.)

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
8/22/17 7:24 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NccsHwfqAXw

I Think that's what he was trying to share

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
8/22/17 9:18 p.m.

Awesome! Congrats Joey. Now, "Alls ya gotta do is ............"

1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 42

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners