1 2 3
Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/8/08 12:53 p.m.

So, to celebrate my birthday (a week early, but my parents will be out of town that day) my family found a range and went out shooting on Saturday. Fired my grandfather's old Winchester Rim Fire, my dad's 1911 and a Glock 17 that he just got.

It was my girlfriend's first time shooting, and she loved it. My stepmother's first time too, but she didn't care for it.

She did really well too. She put me to shame with her accuracy and precision. She didn't have the bad habits or nervousness that I do.

When she first picked up the 1911 (after using the other two guns) she made a single 2" hole that all her shots went through. Although she got sloppier later in the day, as her arms got a bit fatigued.

Her only issues were a lack of hand size/strength, so she had a bit of difficulty operating the slide lock and magazine release. The Glock also kept malfunctioning on her. I think because it's too new, and she wasn't gripping it tightly enough, so it would have trouble feeding.

The 1911, as usual, was the nicest gun that day. I think everyone was most accurate with it. The Glock had a mushy trigger, malfunctioned for the women, and the WRF was just too small for the men.

Lots of fun! Everyone enjoyed it so much, we were talking about needing to get back out and do it again soon.

captainzib
captainzib Reader
12/8/08 1:02 p.m.

I went shooting a couple times with a friend that inherited a bunch of guns from his dad. It was a good time, and I'd always wanted to get the required permits to own a gun, and maybe legally carry concealed, but guns are another expensive hobby, and I don't really need such a thing right now.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/8/08 1:07 p.m.
captainzib wrote: ...guns are another expensive hobby, and I don't really need such a thing right now.

No kidding! I was glad I wasn't buying the ammunition. 1 box of .45 ACP was $24 for 50 rounds.

I think if I were to make a habit of range shooting regularly, I'd find a good .22 pistol. I don't feel a need for a defensive firearm. If I did, I'd get a shotgun.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
12/8/08 1:33 p.m.

I love the 1911. I don't own one, but I really enjoy the feel of them. Something very macho about it.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
12/8/08 1:34 p.m.

THE only answer: Reload your own!

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/8/08 1:39 p.m.

Took my g/f shooting recently. We shot a 9x18 Makarov, .357 service six, and a 1911 .45 by Rock Island. She liked all but the .45. The recoil was too much for her. She really liked the .357. I've found that a lot of beginning shooters like how a revolver feels and are also more accurate with it.

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
12/8/08 2:17 p.m.
Salanis wrote:
captainzib wrote: ...guns are another expensive hobby, and I don't really need such a thing right now.
No kidding! I was glad I wasn't buying the ammunition. 1 box of .45 ACP was $24 for 50 rounds. I think if I were to make a habit of range shooting regularly, I'd find a good .22 pistol. I don't feel a need for a defensive firearm. If I did, I'd get a shotgun.

Thats why we bought a Ruger .22, $11 bucks buys 500 rounds, as opposed to $18 bucks for 50 rounds for my Walther.

Joey

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
12/8/08 3:19 p.m.

I have yet to make the transition to hand guns, dealing with permits and such. But for long guns, if you have the 30 minets to fill out the registration and wait thrue the backround check, you'r good to go, and all at wal*mart

The mauser is exspensive to fire, $1.50 a round when you can even find them. My Mossy 500 is great fun, and reasonable with cheap ammo at $22 for 100 shells, and my first choise in home deffense.

As for my .22s, I dont really use my old Ithaca much. Single shot and not very accurate. The 10/22 is my favorite. But I need to get some larger clips.

therex
therex SuperDork
12/8/08 6:06 p.m.

I feel sorry for all you people living in communist states that require you to have "permits" for handguns.

Seems like a permit is a bit of an infringement to me, but what do I know about the Constitution?

Your glock issues sound normal. Glocks, unlike many new guns, do actually have break-in period, and a pretty big one, 250-500 rounds.

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
12/8/08 6:22 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFJjaj7pXsA

^^^Guy lets his wife shoot his .50 cal Desert Eagle with funny result.

Warning, guy has F-bomb on his shirt.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/8/08 6:53 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: As for my .22s, I dont really use my old Ithaca much. Single shot and not very accurate.

The Ithaca Saddle Gun is one of my favorite .22's!

I've never had any kind of break-in issues with Glocks. I suspect that the "malfunctions" were the result of weak grip strength.

...and it's hard to beat .22's for all around shooting fun. Value for the dollar is untouchable.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
12/8/08 7:20 p.m.

My ithaca was the same model as my fathers first gun. Some how it was seperated from him and he bought the one i have used as an early Xmas gift when I was 12. But a old henery lever .22 is on my short list, unless I can find a repeter model of the saddle gun.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/8/08 7:26 p.m.

Oh, told some friends we went shooting. They asked us what we shot.

Without skipping a beat, my girlfriend responded, "Puppies."

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/8/08 8:36 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Oh, told some friends we went shooting. They asked us what we shot. Without skipping a beat, my girlfriend responded, "Puppies."

Keeper.

oldsaw
oldsaw Reader
12/8/08 8:46 p.m.

In reply to Salanis:

I visited the family for the holiday and one of the treats was the day after Thanksgiving.

My Dad, brother-in-law and both nephews had the hankering to go shooting. The former two wanted to at least sight-in their rifles for deer season that started the following Monday.

Dear old Dad, who's been hunting/shooting FOREVER only took two shots from a hundred yards out, no scope. It was cold (35F, windy), he's 78 and doesn't like cold weather. He knows his lever-action Winchester 32 (again, no scope) shoots a little high (he's had it for 50 years) and he missed the target on his first shot. The second missed the center by six inches (or so) and he knew what had to be done when an errant white-tail made a stupid choice.

Once that was accomplished, he decided it was too cold and it was time to go home. I'd have stayed longer, but hey, I'm from the South, didn't have any ear protection and had some cold feet and hands. too.

I sure hope he gets one this year, as there won't be many more hunting opportunities for him. At least he revels in the fact that his 21 yr. old grand daughter was the only family member to bag one on the first day , like she's done for the last three years.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/8/08 9:23 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Oh, told some friends we went shooting. They asked us what we shot. Without skipping a beat, my girlfriend responded, "Puppies."

Have you proposed to her yet? Good lord man, gals like that don't grow on trees ya know.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/08 9:24 p.m.

My wife'sfirst time was with some friends down in Virgina with his Glock 9mm. She had a ball and did very well. Since then we've only used my .22 rifle that was handed down from my grandfather until funds allow for a decent handgun.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
12/8/08 9:53 p.m.

I enjoy shooting my .22s, but airguns are also an effective way to stay practiced while keeping ammo costs down. The technique is slightly different using a spring piston gun, but still similar enough, and you can do it in the garage if you're careful.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/8/08 11:01 p.m.

I have a few airguns as well, but eventually, I get tired of pumping them up. I prefer Super Colibris in single shot .22's. They're very low energy and so quiet that I can comfortably shoot them without ear protection....

....in my basement.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0029401214245a&type=product&cm_mmc=CRR--RLP--214245-_-productname_link&cmCat=CRR&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=super%20colibris&cm_ite=netcon&rid=0180101070502

byron12
byron12 New Reader
12/9/08 12:33 a.m.

I enjoy shooting For cheap ammo and comfortable shooting I like the .22 but I have recently learned to love old bolt action military style rifles. I got a curio and relics license and have been enjoying these type of firearms they are very cheap compared to anything else. Here is my newest accuisition mosin nagant m44 carbine. the can of ammo in the picture came actually came in a bow with two it was about 110 bucks for 880 rounds.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/9/08 6:41 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote:
Keeper.

+1

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
12/9/08 7:32 a.m.

I've shot 22s all my life and have no caliber envy. I can shot all day for a few bucks. BTW, you can get mil-surp ammo cheap if you stick with the standard calibers.

A couple of weeks ago, our sports car club had an informal shooting event. In addition to my Browning Challenger, I got to shoot a Springfield 1911 and a Rossi 38 special. One guy brought his 44 magnum, but chose not to shoot it. Dang that mutha was loud. Even standing next to someone shooting a 38 revolver resulted in more compression than I wanted.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
12/9/08 8:04 a.m.

My first handgun will likely be a Walther P22 - supressed. All you can hear when you fire that is the slide moving and the bullet's thwap as it slams into its target.

Then it's a toss-up between a .50 Desert Eagle and a Kimber 1911. I'm leaning towards the one that sends out a 2-foot-long fireball along with a shockwave that disrupts the time-space continum every time you squeeze the trigger.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
12/9/08 8:25 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

+2!

Do not pity folks in "regulated " areas. The Constution takes presidence over any local ordinance!

" From my Cold Dead Fingers ! "

LOL In the 1980's I was shootin about 5000 rnds of 30-06 service ammo a year. a civilian High Power competitor.

Now I still shoot enough to keep an eye that will hit a deer size target ( about man sized as well ) No more X rings at 600 yards, though ( iron sight ).

If your gal likes to shoot with you, tie her down, she's a keeper@!

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
12/9/08 10:12 a.m.

You want expensive? I took my Winchester 1892 out the other weekend. It's chambered in .38-40

Ever try to buy .38-40? Yeah, almost $1.60 a shot

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qNEvNFg8KNTaf6MdkGRPowlTTp1hdwcyK16G2I7CwapKI2hAwM2rLnjsVEHdxHat