1 2 3
Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/9/08 10:22 a.m.
Gearhead_42 wrote: You want expensive? I took my Winchester 1892 out the other weekend. It's chambered in .38-40 Ever try to buy .38-40? Yeah, almost $1.60 a shot

Nope. But I've fired a Springfield .45-70! I don't want to know what the cost of that ammunition was.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
12/9/08 10:33 a.m.
Salanis wrote: Nope. But I've fired a Springfield .45-70! I don't want to know what the cost of that ammunition was.

Roughly the same price.

My wife loves to pistol shoot, just never seems to have a weekend off the same time I do to go with me.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/9/08 11:57 a.m.
Gearhead_42 wrote: You want expensive? I took my Winchester 1892 out the other weekend. It's chambered in .38-40 Ever try to buy .38-40? Yeah, almost $1.60 a shot

I'm never going to complain about paintballs running 20c each again

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/9/08 12:04 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: I'm never going to complain about paintballs running 20c each again

$0.20ea for Paintballs? That's crazy! Heck, that's more than $1.60 for .45-70. It's easier to go through 20 paintballs than it is 1 round in a gun like the .45-70.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
12/9/08 12:34 p.m.

In reply to Salanis:

Take up handloading! Even if you buy all the components ( primer, powder and bullet ) you can get that down to $0.40 a round or so. Mold your own slugs and it more like $0.10-0.20 Fire away!

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/9/08 12:38 p.m.
SoloSonett wrote: In reply to Salanis: Take up handloading! Even if you buy all the components ( primer, powder and bullet ) you can get that down to $0.40 a round or so. Mold your own slugs and it more like $0.10-0.20 Fire away!

I don't go shooting that often. This is the first time in years that I have. I don't own a gun, the ones I use belong to my dad or grandfather. The expensive guns like the .45-70 rarely get fired.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut HalfDork
12/9/08 2:34 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: My first handgun will likely be a Walther P22 - supressed. All you can hear when you fire that is the slide moving and the bullet's thwap as it slams into its target. Then it's a toss-up between a .50 Desert Eagle and a Kimber 1911. I'm leaning towards the one that sends out a 2-foot-long fireball along with a shockwave that disrupts the time-space continum every time you squeeze the trigger.

You're so tacticool it hurts!

The Walther P22 is interesting, but tack on the cost of a supressor and the $200 stamp to its already high price and you've spent way too much money. There's better and cheaper .22s out there (though the P22 does look bad ass), and you can get the "silent" ammo for much the same effect.

Desert Eagle in .50 is expensive and finicky. It will not send out a 2 foot long fire ball etc, etc. every time you squeeze the trigger because it won't work every time you squeeze the trigger! Was not impressed when I fired one. Why not go whole hog and get a .500 S&W?

Kimber makes a good gun, but like most name-brand 1911s, they're expensive beyond belief. Buy a Rock Island and mod it yourself. Grassrootsy. Or buy the parts from Samco and build one.

therex
therex SuperDork
12/9/08 5:50 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: Kimber makes a good gun, but like most name-brand 1911s, they're expensive beyond belief. Buy a Rock Island and mod it yourself. Grassrootsy. Or buy the parts from Samco and build one.

Samco? Or did you mean Sarco?

Maybe I'm "doin' it rong" but I can't seem to get the parts for a 1911 together cheap enough to justify not getting a RIA.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Osterkraut
Osterkraut HalfDork
12/9/08 8:48 p.m.
therex wrote:
Osterkraut wrote: Kimber makes a good gun, but like most name-brand 1911s, they're expensive beyond belief. Buy a Rock Island and mod it yourself. Grassrootsy. Or buy the parts from Samco and build one.
Samco? Or did you mean Sarco? Maybe I'm "doin' it rong" but I can't seem to get the parts for a 1911 together cheap enough to justify not getting a RIA. Maybe I'm missing something?

Errr... Yeah. Sarco. Samco is for surplus rifles.

There was a thread on the old board about building a 1911 on a budget (I actually think it was a highjack of a thread of yours). You can DIY for a little less, unless prices have moved around. Plus, it's DYI! even if prices were the same, I'd lean toward the Sarco way.

Will
Will New Reader
12/9/08 8:53 p.m.

Some say the answer is always Miata but I'm inclined to believe the answer to most every question is .45 ACP. I have two 1911s (off-brand govt. model and Kimber Ultra Carry II) and a USP. I can't say enough good things about the H&K--it's my idea of a perfect gun: lighter than a 1911 with more ammo, light rail, SA/DA w/decocker so it's easy to carry (if a bit big for CCW duty). Also, it's never jammed on me, not once.

On the rifle side I have three AR15s (RRA 20-inch A2 HBAR, Bushmaster 16-inch post-ban HBAR and a Spike's Tactical 16-inch w/skeleton stock, fluted barrel, Surefire forearms & Holosight). I also have a nice, fiberglass-stocked M1A and a Marlin 1892SS carbine in .44 Magnum.

I love all of them, but there's nothing like racking the lever on that Marlin to make you feel like John Wayne.

therex
therex SuperDork
12/9/08 8:57 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
therex wrote:
Samco? Or did you mean Sarco? Maybe I'm "doin' it rong" but I can't seem to get the parts for a 1911 together cheap enough to justify not getting a RIA. Maybe I'm missing something?
Errr... Yeah. Sarco. Samco is for surplus rifles. There was a thread on the old board about building a 1911 on a budget (I actually think it was a highjack of a thread of yours). You can DIY for a little less, unless prices have moved around. Plus, it's DYI! even if prices were the same, I'd lean toward the Sarco way.

Yeah, I vaguely remember it. My 10MM thread. (Still haven't gotten one, btw. I'm lazy.)

I dunno. DIY is pretty sweet, but I'm not sure if it's worth it or not.

Frame: (from: http://www.sarcoinc.com/pistols-frames.html) 90 bucks, + 20 Dollars FFL.

Slide and parts kit: (from: http://www.sarcoinc.com/cgm.html ) 210 + Shipping.

So that's 320 bucks plus tools plus berkeleyups.

I can get an RIA for 350 and go shoot it.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
12/9/08 9:07 p.m.
Will wrote: Some say the answer is always Miata but ... there's nothing like racking the lever on that Marlin to make you feel like John Wayne.

Quoted for truth.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
12/10/08 8:24 a.m.
NYG95GA wrote:
Will wrote: Some say the answer is always Miata but ... there's nothing like racking the lever on that Marlin to make you feel like John Wayne.
Quoted for truth.

" I call that BOLD talk from a one-eyed fat guy....

Fill your hands you #$%^#$& "

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
12/10/08 10:04 a.m.
confuZion3 wrote: My first handgun will likely be a Walther P22 - supressed. All you can hear when you fire that is the slide moving and the bullet's thwap as it slams into its target. Then it's a toss-up between a .50 Desert Eagle and a Kimber 1911. I'm leaning towards the one that sends out a 2-foot-long fireball along with a shockwave that disrupts the time-space continum every time you squeeze the trigger.

I didn't think you could use a suppressor in the states legally? Also, I dont know if this is true, but while I was looking at some .22 pistols, I looked at the P22, but decided against it, as everyone was saying that it was very picky in ammo. Thats why I went with a used Ruger Mk2. as that thing will eat anything!

Joey

therex
therex SuperDork
12/10/08 10:15 a.m.
I didn't think you could use a suppressor in the states legally? Also, I dont know if this is true, but while I was looking at some .22 pistols, I looked at the P22, but decided against it, as everyone was saying that it was very picky in ammo. Thats why I went with a used Ruger Mk2. as that thing will eat anything! Joey

Sure you can. I used on the other day.

But in order to legally purchase one you have to pay a 200 dollar ATF tax and go through a federal background check.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
12/10/08 11:36 a.m.

But in order to legally purchase one you have to pay a 200 dollar ATF tax and go through a federal background check

EXactly Thats why you make your own, GR style. Think Al tubing, with a straight through "muffler " system. A couple chambers, some insulation.

My .22 rifle sounds like a finger snap.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
12/10/08 11:40 a.m.

just dont be cought with a diy silencer... so says the guy with 10/22 full auto plans

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
12/10/08 12:39 p.m.

Prison is not very grassroots.

Clay
Clay Reader
12/10/08 2:07 p.m.

+1 for the Ruger 10/22 for cheap fun. That and a brick of bullets from Walmart can both be had for under $200 and you have yourselve's a day of fun. I bought a 25 rd clip to save reloading time. It gets old reloading the stock 10 rd mag. I've also got a Browing buckmark 22 pistol with adjustable sites. I prefer shooting both to my Glock.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
12/10/08 2:37 p.m.

On .22 pistols

The Walther, while incredible cool looking, as said before is picky on what it shoots, and seemingly what it likes is weather dependent. Just my experience talkin, but there you go. It is also tiny, and awkward to use for anyone with size "Large" hands or larger.

Alternatives I suggest would be the Ruger, Browning Buckmark, or my personal choice the Smith&Wesson 22a.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
12/10/08 3:00 p.m.

Surpressors are completely legal as long as you pay the tax that SoloSonnet mentioned, wait about 6 months, and pass a background check. Oh, and you are not allowed, under any circumstances to build your own. But nobody here would do that . . . I want one so that I can shoot in my back yard into a field and not annoy the neighbors. One neighbor called the police once because some punk kids were riding four-wheelers in the HOA's woods. Turned out, it was the mayor of our little town.

The 500 S&W is fun. I've fired one once. I probably won't ever again. Those bullets are expensive enough to make the Deagle's ammo seem cheap. Besides, the Desert Eagle (maybe it's the name) does more to appeal to my macho mojo side (which, while I suppress it, does exist). This is why my only gun so far is a Rock River AR-15 (but my track slave is merely a pleasant little Miata).

If you want picky, get a Taurus 9mm. My dad's jams at least once every 15 shots unless you use the right ammo. Not ideal for self-defense.

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
12/10/08 3:03 p.m.

I wish my fingers had lasers in them. Then I could fire lasers out of my fingers.

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
12/10/08 4:08 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: Besides, the Desert Eagle (maybe it's the name) does more to appeal to my macho mojo side (which, while I suppress it, does exist). This is why my only gun so far is a Rock River AR-15 (but my track slave is merely a pleasant little Miata).

Weeeeeell, I guess it's cheap and functions marginally better than bon3r pills!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/10/08 5:48 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: I wish my fingers had lasers in them. Then I could fire lasers out of my fingers.

hahaha, what?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/10/08 6:00 p.m.

Ruger 10/22 is the Miata of rifles. Hands down. No better way to shoot cheap. If you have to have a pistol, S&W 22A or Ruger Mk1/Mk2.

If you must have a 1911, buy used. It'll be broken in and you won't have to worry about going through the hell that is 1911 break in. I loved my Springfield, but Charles Daly makes a nice pistol for a modest price as well.

jg

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7U4DFyHJITtc2PxfEUTrpOH5r1F7XPIUtP2QuSZf9XQV96EPwujUnW1RB6OQVMbY