hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/10/18 10:30 a.m.

Just venting...

Last night around 10 I had to snake my main drain line to clear a clog. Always a good time! This morning I'm standing at my bathroom sink and the tank on my toilet spontaneously cracks and starts spewing water. WTF, really? I would normally just replace the tank but the toilet is older than I've owned the house (18 yrs) and I've been doing a bunch of outside projects lately so I pressed the easy button on this one. Local plumber is installing a new pressurized flush unit tomorrow.

First world problems for sure. The self-destructing tank is freaky though. What if we hadn't been home? It would have made a serious mess!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/10/18 10:37 a.m.

Talk about blowing out the toilet. 

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
7/10/18 1:54 p.m.

I assumed this would be hot sauce and/or taco bell related. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
7/10/18 2:08 p.m.

Pressure assist FTW! Love mine.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
7/11/18 8:01 a.m.

Ugh, don't get me started on plumbing. I had multiple broken pipes under my slab due to 40 years of settlement and improperly compacted fill. One required jackhammering through the kitchen floor. The other was the junction to the lateral to the town sewer. Yes, you read that right, the pipe that connected my entire house to the street was completely separated under my bathroom floor for who knows how many years before I discovered it. Good times ensued.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/11/18 12:37 p.m.

In reply to Armitage :

I feel your pain. 4 years after I bought my house I had an under slab leak. Had to pull up hardwood floors, jack hammer through terrazzo and concrete and then the pipe kept cracking up from the initial break/repair. The plumber said this might hold and it might start again in a week. A year later and it happened again and I had the whole house re-piped through the attic.The crazy thing is both times I could hear it, spraying up against the concrete slab. A very high pitched hiss.

Armitage
Armitage HalfDork
7/17/18 12:31 p.m.

Oof, that sounds horrible too. Did you speak to your insurance company about that at all? What did they say? Mine said that shifting of the earth isn't covered and there was no "loss" due to leaking or anything so they wouldn't cover anything. If the pipe had leaked and destroyed flooring or drywall or something, there would have been a loss they could have covered. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hRhwrmgzTVE1R1h2q00Iamn6jlw9062kH63RgVxS3ji3JWwLo8wzKFXm1l4Zp5UP