1 2 3
mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/14 4:17 p.m.
mtn wrote: Any updates?

Nope.. I am sick with whatever nasty plague is running rampant in the Middle-atlantic and the boat is -still- covered in snow

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
3/27/14 7:14 a.m.

Sometime between the original posting of this thread and now, I've watched the Hold Fast video about the Pestilence. I also follow WhiteSpotPirates on YouTube. She left Germany, went to Panama, bought a boat, and has spent the last few month getting it seaworthy. She usually posts a new video every week.

I've spent some time at sea thanks to Uncle Sam, but have not sailed. I want to build a sailboat like a B&B Yacht Design Core Sound 20.

Maybe the snow will melt soon Mad Machine and you can get to work. If you sail her to Florida, let me know as I live on the ICW.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
3/27/14 8:37 a.m.

In reply to T.J.:
Well, now you've done it... I just lost about a 1/2 hr watching the first 5 episodes of WhiteSpotPirates.
It's not that it is fantastic (though it is good) but I have a real thing for chicks who can sail! I once deeply fell in love with a sailboat, race chick.
I expect that I will continue to watch more.

As for my sailing calendar, I regret to say that another winter has passed where I did not get any racing in. In years past, I would often get some trips in such as St.Pete (FL) race week or some California racing like Newport to Enseada or Long Beach Midwinters .
The cornerstone of this summer looks like I am signed on for another Port Huron to Mackinac Race aboard a Benetau 361 (aka:the big fat girl). Not the raciest of boats bet darn comfortable for a 2-3 day race.

Competing in this race which spans the length of Lake Huron become a big logistical and preperational undertaking for a boat from Lake Erie. It takes 24hr of straight sailing just to get to the start line. To get there you cross a portion of Lake Erie, up the entire Detroit River, across Lake St. Clair and the up the entire St.Clair River.
This transport to the start is typically done the weekend before the race. Saturday, the race starts and you finally arrive to Mac Island between Sunday night and Monday night (depends on the weather.) For those 2-3 days, we work in shifts, eat in shifts and sleep in shift. With a crew of 7, we can have 3 up, 3 down and 1 floater.
Post race, a replacement crew usually arrives by car and the race crew drives that car back home. The new fresher crew then spend the next 3 or more days moving the boat back down to Lake Erie.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
3/27/14 9:10 a.m.

For the fans and wannabe sailing fans (or dreamers, like me) don't go see the movie "All is Lost"- it will drive you crazy. I'm not a sailer, but there were some basic things I would not even do that caused some serious problems.

the movie is about a solo sailer (robert redford) who bumps into a container at the beginning of the movie. He makes some repairs, and the situation goes downhill from there.

Assuming sail boats are as safe as some have implied (which I don't know- but suspect that most are very self righting)- just starting with the repair job will just drive you nuts.

I love this thread and idea, but I also understand that it's pure fatasy for me- unless I want to endure a month of agony as my head figures out how to live with the motion. Fun to read and hear about others, though.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/27/14 9:37 a.m.

In reply to Enyar:

Yep, been there, done that. Old boat = old rigging. Cheap insurance to switch it out. Where are you sailing from?

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
3/27/14 10:02 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

That sounds like fun and hard work.

I'm a bit enthralled by the Everglades Challenge myself, but that's a different type of race than what you are talking about.

BTW, the videos are not all that great, but she not only can sail, but seems to have a decent handle on all sorts of mechanical tasks. I am mostly in awe that she just packed up and went to Panama and bought a boat. Quite an adventure.

Enyar
Enyar HalfDork
3/27/14 12:36 p.m.
hobiercr wrote: In reply to Enyar: Yep, been there, done that. Old boat = old rigging. Cheap insurance to switch it out. Where are you sailing from?

Yep, bad call on my part. We had new shrouds being made and the guy was a day late getting them back to us. I wanted to sail, winds were light and I went for it. That picture is from Jupiter Florida but I normally sail off either Picnic island or Davis island.

T.J. wrote: In reply to JohnRW1621: That sounds like fun and hard work. I'm a bit enthralled by the Everglades Challenge myself, but that's a different type of race than what you are talking about. BTW, the videos are not all that great, but she not only can sail, but seems to have a decent handle on all sorts of mechanical tasks. I am mostly in awe that she just packed up and went to Panama and bought a boat. Quite an adventure.

GRM Everglades Challenge team via Hobie? That race sounds excellent.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
3/27/14 1:29 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: For the fans and wannabe sailing fans (or dreamers, like me) don't go see the movie "All is Lost"- it will drive you crazy. I'm not a sailer, but there were some basic things I would not even do that caused some serious problems. the movie is about a solo sailer (robert redford) who bumps into a container at the beginning of the movie. He makes some repairs, and the situation goes downhill from there.

Troof.

I almost couldn't watch.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
3/27/14 1:34 p.m.

I was not familiar with the Everglades Challenge
Very Cool:

The Everglades Challenge is an unsupported, expedition style adventure race for kayaks, canoes, and small boats. The distance is roughly 300 nautical miles depending on your course selection. There is a time limit of 8 days or less. Your safety and well being are completely up to you.

I have a sailing buddy in Kansas City that does some sort of similar version of this type of kayak challenge but within a drive of KC.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
3/27/14 1:41 p.m.

I have not seen the movie "All is Lost".
I know how it ends.
In my local sailing circle, the sentiment is to not let your wife see the movie.

In the greater sailing world, the movie was heavily critiqued with a lot of "nautical inaccuracies".
This is no different to us watching F&Furoius and questioning the floor blowing out. It makes for good movie action and moves the story along. The layman knows no different.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
3/27/14 1:55 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

The problem starts with really stupid fiberglass repair. If you sail on your own, and do that as a repair, I would expect the boat to sink.

(movie tanget- All is Lost and Gravity are the same movie, just different settings)

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
3/27/14 3:39 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

The kayakers tend to take an inside route through shallows and around islands that the sailboats can't make it through. People even compete on SUPs. Large sailboats wouldn't work because they couldn't be launched from the beach (not to mention any sort of keel would have them hard aground) and the fact that the masts have to be unshipped to pass under bridges.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
3/27/14 3:40 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

I have "All is Lost" on my Amazon watchlist, but since I've already suffered through "Gravity" maybe I'll give it a pass. Pretty sure my wife would get seasick watching it anyway.

Enyar
Enyar HalfDork
3/27/14 5:30 p.m.
T.J. wrote: In reply to JohnRW1621: The kayakers tend to take an inside route through shallows and around islands that the sailboats can't make it through. People even compete on SUPs. Large sailboats wouldn't work because they couldn't be launched from the beach (not to mention any sort of keel would have them hard aground) and the fact that the masts have to be unshipped to pass under bridges.

Is there a forum where people discuss these kinds of things? I'd like to do it in a Hobie but I don't trust my boat enough.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/27/14 5:36 p.m.

Everglades Challenge is on my bucketlist. I am looking to build a "marshduck" for it

Enyar
Enyar HalfDork
3/27/14 9:11 p.m.
T.J. wrote: Sometime between the original posting of this thread and now, I've watched the Hold Fast video about the Pestilence. I also follow WhiteSpotPirates on YouTube. She left Germany, went to Panama, bought a boat, and has spent the last few month getting it seaworthy. She usually posts a new video every week. I've spent some time at sea thanks to Uncle Sam, but have not sailed. I want to build a sailboat like a B&B Yacht Design Core Sound 20. Maybe the snow will melt soon Mad Machine and you can get to work. If you sail her to Florida, let me know as I live on the ICW.

Just finished listening to episodes 1-9. Pretty cool!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
3/27/14 9:58 p.m.

In reply to Enyar:
I just finished episode 13.
They have been okay but they are good fodder for summer deaming here in freezing temps, still, in late March.
I particularly liked #11, there were some high points.
Though not mentioned, this chick is getting a weird "suntan" on her forehead. If I were more of a pig...I would wonder if Demetre was pushing her forehead too hard into the pillow.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
3/28/14 7:01 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

I would love to build a Core Sound 20 myself.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
3/28/14 9:57 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine: I have some books on sailing that need a good home. If you are interested send me a PM.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vMAZwb4leQ61sfeLqwTmyPgYv71Qk0S0cj0rJUgc7XAYDjAjVYsNx0qD0Z5FC54L