1 2
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
2/17/12 8:02 p.m.

My '98 Chrysler T7C is approaching the "throwing good money after bad" point rapidly, and with laser precision.

Candidates for replacement include:

MY VAN—Fixed. Of course, that would take some lucky gueses to track down a problem that dealershis run five figure bills up not fixing beore the owner just washes his hands of it. So,maybe, but I'm gettng less and less interested.

Later model used something about 8-10K—PROS: It'll mostly do everything it's supposed to when you want it to d it, but for more money, and crappy resale as depreciation take a toll.

$3-5K used van. This is where mine would be on a good day when it started and ran perfectly. There's plenty og those days. Unfortunately the next one will probably end as soon as the new owners take the keys and it goes into "no-start" mode.

1992-96 Caprice or Roadmaster wagon with an LT1. Currently mu fave choiuce. Tell me why not.

jg

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/12 8:09 p.m.

2001 and later Town and Country/Caravan.

We had an 01 replaced it with an 05, we love both.

JG Pasterjak
2/17/12 8:15 p.m.
John Brown wrote: 2001 and later Town and Country/Caravan. We had an 01 replaced it with an 05, we love both.

My mom has an '01 I should totally try to buy

jg

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
2/17/12 8:20 p.m.

Does Tom still have the 300 TE for sale?

That way, when something goes wrong, you can go in and pimp slap him...or just act like something was wrong...and still pimp slap him.

Just sayin'...

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
2/17/12 8:50 p.m.

Low budget:
Astro!
Roadmaster!

High budget:
Transit Connect
Mazda 5

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
2/17/12 9:45 p.m.

Aaaand now I'm hunting for an LT1 Roadmaster wagon. Argh. I can't believe they get as good gas mileage as I'm reading. Sound like a great choice.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/17/12 10:11 p.m.

Mazdaspeed3? Seriously, your minivan has been practical. Well, when it runs.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/17/12 10:15 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
John Brown wrote: 2001 and later Town and Country/Caravan. We had an 01 replaced it with an 05, we love both.
My mom has an '01 I should totally try to buy jg

If you dad really loved your mom, she'd be driving a newer car. (Feel free to use that line during negotiations.)

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/17/12 11:11 p.m.

Volvo Turbo Wagon.

/end thread.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
2/18/12 9:37 a.m.

One of these with the dual sunroofs, refrigerator, and a 5 speed. Have you ever done donuts while sitting ON the front axle/axis point? It's awesome.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
2/18/12 9:43 a.m.

Oh yeah, also available it 4WD. If you shop north of the border you might be lucky enough to find a 4WD 5speed turbo diesel version.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
2/18/12 9:52 a.m.

"North of the border" would have been exposed to a lot of salt over the years. Any time I've seen one of these recently it was a crapcan here in Michigan.
Just go find a nice used Astro.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/12 9:57 a.m.

Is that Astro working out for you Warren? There are definitely times when I miss it.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
2/18/12 9:58 a.m.

I have this bad ass wagonvan:

http://web.me.com/cdirado/Diradosite/Ironhyde.html

Maybe not as cool as the Toyota but I like it.

mmosbey
mmosbey GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/18/12 9:58 a.m.
16vCorey wrote: Oh yeah, also available it 4WD. If you shop north of the border you might be lucky enough to find a 4WD 5speed turbo diesel version.

Salt and snow-free southern state bias here, but, having owned one, I can say there is much truth to this post.

I want another.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
2/18/12 10:01 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: "North of the border" would have been exposed to a lot of salt over the years. Any time I've seen one of these recently it was a crapcan here in Michigan.

That's probably true. The one I had in the late '90s in Indiana was starting to get a little rusty. Add 15 years and serious winters and that thing would probably disappear. That doesn't make me want another one any less though.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
2/18/12 10:18 a.m.

You could go with the great-grandfather of your T&C:

Or you could list the problems wrong with the current one here and see who might know the fixes for those issues.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
2/18/12 10:21 a.m.

Drive an Astro before you buy one. While I love them for practicality and utility, the pedal position was offset so far to the left, I couldn't get comfortable in one.

I'm with JB: Grand Caravan. Cheap, plentiful, well developed. Just keep the transmission fluid fresh. We don't call my 2000 the "Battle Bus" for nothing.

This could be fun, but likely to be a project similar in scope to your current van:

Supercharged, midships, RWD/AWD...

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/12 11:38 a.m.

there is no why not for a 91-96 caprice/roadmonster/cruiser.

it is indeed the only answer, everything else is just not cool compared to that choice.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
2/18/12 11:44 a.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo: It needs to go in to have the belt changed (I don't work on my vehicles in the winter!), but otherwise it's been perfect, Ashleigh. I haven't driven it a lot when there's snow because of the tires,but I'll get snow tires on it next winter.

JG Pasterjak
2/18/12 3:01 p.m.

My van has what appears to be a known issue with ChryCo vans of that era. It will occasionally go into a "no start" condition. You always know it's going to do it, because when you first turn the power on you get no odometer and no PRNDL. When that happens, it will crank, start and immediately die. It will give you about five of those before it won't crank. No clicks, no power drain, just no crank at all. The condition appears seemingly at random. It won't do it for six months, then it does it twoice in a week. The only cure seems to be waiting an indeterminate amount of time.

Some folks say PCM. We tried that. No luck. Some folks say BCM. We're currently trying that. The new one was worse than the old one.

Roadmaster and Caprice wagons are VERY intriguing because of their six-seatedness and LT1-ness. Can Volvo wagons tow anything?

jg

P.S. On a completely unrelated note, anyone in the market for a '98 T&C in excellent condition? Very reliable.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Dork
2/18/12 4:58 p.m.

How about one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-NISSAN-STANZA-WAGON-VAN-5SPD-4CYL-RARE-ALL-ORIGINAL-RUNS-LOOKS-DRIVES-GOOD-/230747339334?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35b99cfa46

Very cool like an early Mazda5!!

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
2/18/12 6:45 p.m.

I can't believe I'm gonna do this, but I'm gonna actually recommend a Honda Odyssey. Ours has been very very very useful and functional and reliable, even if it is a bit soul-sucking. Still, I've hauled serious amounts of lumber, furniture, garage stuff (engine hoist, stand, shelving, etc.), and even a complete small block in it. Not inspiring, but at least tolerable while driving, and has ample power. Look for an '05 in good condition and you should be able to score one for around $5-6k and get 10 more years out of it.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
2/18/12 6:53 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: My van has what appears to be a known issue with ChryCo vans of that era. It will occasionally go into a "no start" condition. You always know it's going to do it, because when you first turn the power on you get no odometer and no PRNDL. When that happens, it will crank, start and immediately die. It will give you about five of those before it won't crank. No clicks, no power drain, just no crank at all. The condition appears seemingly at random. It won't do it for six months, then it does it twoice in a week. The only cure seems to be waiting an indeterminate amount of time. Some folks say PCM. We tried that. No luck. Some folks say BCM. We're currently trying that. The new one was worse than the old one. Roadmaster and Caprice wagons are VERY intriguing because of their six-seatedness and LT1-ness. Can Volvo wagons tow anything? jg P.S. On a completely unrelated note, anyone in the market for a '98 T&C in excellent condition? Very reliable.

Wife called me on that - car seats specifically say in them that you cannot use them (forward or reverse facing) in the rear rear facing row of those wagons, otherwise I'd own one. I don't think it's unsafe, but if your wife if a believer in silly booklets (and you have kinds you intend to put back there in car seats) it's something to think about.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/18/12 7:01 p.m.

Do the Roadmaster, though if you want the LT1 it'll have to be 94 or newer. Mine is a 93 with a TBI 350, because I wanted simple and cheap. I paid $1200 for mine.

This is what's hooked to it now. Towing isn't a problem.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ipzpbimDyKnhX6ceml1GDUYl9IhGTZLnoGLYwZsCPGGUqNdE2Y6oqVO5hIzwyOlV