Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
1/7/14 10:28 a.m.

Just scored Industry preview tickets for the 16th for NAIAS. Will anyone else be there? I've never attended on non-public days, hoping it's well worth it.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
1/7/14 11:00 a.m.

Well, you'll get to be at the unveils, and a lot of the manufacturers have celebrity eye-candy on hand to make it more sparkly. Grab a program to see the scheduled press unveils, and arrive early to the ones you really want to see – otherwise you'll be stuck, standing room only, behind all the folks who are just reading their emails and talking. If you're taking someone, make them your designated "PKB" (press kit bitch) and get them to score you one of the cooler press kits before the hordes descend and you're knocked to the floor in the scrum. Cadillac has box lunches and Porsche has great hors d'ouevres.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
1/7/14 11:33 a.m.
Lesley wrote: Well, you'll get to be at the unveils, and a lot of the manufacturers have celebrity eye-candy on hand to make it more sparkly. Grab a program to see the scheduled press unveils, and arrive early to the ones you really want to see – otherwise you'll be stuck, standing room only, behind all the folks who are just reading their emails and talking. If you're taking someone, make them your designated "PKB" (press kit bitch) and get them to score you one of the cooler press kits before the hordes descend and you're knocked to the floor in the scrum. Cadillac has box lunches and Porsche has great hors d'ouevres.

I've been to a few industry preview days. They don't have the unveilings or anything cool. But it is empty compared to public days. It's worth it because you can actually see the cars, instead of the backs of heads with a sliver of a car in between. I think I'm going on the Tuesday dealer day.

beans
beans HalfDork
1/7/14 12:42 p.m.

I did the Charity preview last year with my dad on an IBM invite. Pretty cool experience, we'd be doing it this year again but we're headed up north to Oscoda for a pheasant hunt next weekend. Not sure I'm actually going to make it this year, I'll either have to call off work or scramble up before or after work. Personally, I like going best in the evening anyway, way less of a crowd.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/7/14 1:20 p.m.

Was getting ready to ask this very question. I have a ticket for employee night so 6 of my cousins/ brother-in-laws/ and adopted siblings can come along for free. This is for Tuesday and will be a mob scene. I'll happily pay regular price for another day. Went to the industry night once, years ago. its the only way to fly if you can do it.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
1/17/14 6:18 a.m.

Gearheadotaku
1/17/14 9:30 a.m.

Might be going tomorrow afternoon. Any takers?

jde
jde Reader
1/17/14 9:47 a.m.

Tempted to run up next week if I can fit it into my schedule.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/17/14 10:07 a.m.

Going a week from today with my cousin. We haven't missed once since it was the Detroit Auto Show in the 80s.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
1/17/14 9:31 p.m.

Taking a trip to Detroit with a few guys from Erie next weekend. I've never been to a good autoshow. Philadelphia wasn't that interesting.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
1/18/14 8:43 a.m.

First thing Sunday morning with my sons. See everything we can and get out before 2:00 PM when it gets really crowded.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/18/14 3:36 p.m.

probably going to play hooky on wednesday and take my daughters to NAIAS and lunch at the Lafayette Coney Island.

Gearheadotaku
1/18/14 7:52 p.m.

Maybe I'll go Sunday and see if I can find anyone.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
1/18/14 8:35 p.m.

Trying to avoid crowd by going on Monday.

beans
beans Dork
1/18/14 9:57 p.m.

Im probably going to try to cram in a quick morning either friday or Saturday before work.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
1/18/14 11:47 p.m.

I wanted to go, but heading to Florida tomorrow so it will not happen

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l75hQ4upgXOplCv0CscSBBW8myHIzsjDcfPMHcbtTDRWyMXUwbi73hl9JzcsLSM7