1 2
Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/12/14 6:32 p.m.

Finally swapping out our decrepit electric range for gas. As long as we're getting more pipe put in, we're putting lines out to the patio for a grill and possibly a heater...

I assume all the same things apply to finding a natural gas grill as an LP grill; many are available both ways, I think?

Open the floodgates of grill selection wisdom. My LP Brinkmann is much too ratty to consider buying the natural gas kit for at this point, so it's time for a replacement.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
3/12/14 7:16 p.m.

A Natural Gas grill may only be available from your Nat gas utility. Not as portable as propane but no bottles to fill. I don't own one but I have eaten some food cooked on one. Higher front end cost, but they used to be very good quality appliances. I have also considered one but done no research yet.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
3/12/14 7:20 p.m.

I thought most gas grills came with a different orifice for the line so you can use with NG instead LP. Change the orifice, done.

beans
beans Dork
3/12/14 7:46 p.m.

Black iron pipe. Gas-type tape or pipe dope only. No galvanized. The corrugated style tubing that comes in a roll is pretty good, too, but fittings get expensive. Make sure you get everything measured out before you buy. Lowe's can cut and thread pipe(I do it a LOT- I work in plumbing there). I know we sell adapters/kits to go from LP to NG in the indoor garden/grill section right now. Now is your chance to build a REALLY nice fixed grill for your patio, most portable ones can be converted fairly easily.

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
3/12/14 7:46 p.m.

Make sure the grill you buy is legal to install in your state. Don't take Home Depot or Lowes word for it. Install with a quick disconnect hose. Don't install too close to the house. Take a few minutes and download the national fuel gas code and have a look at the section concerning grills.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
3/12/14 7:58 p.m.

Mr. todd speaks the truth. Natural gas makes a very big BOOM. Pick a grill and let the plumber work his magic if you aren't good at plumbing.

mw
mw Dork
3/12/14 8:30 p.m.

I love my natural gas grill. Its an older weber platinum. Its so much nicer to never have to get tanks filled. The downside is that if you leave it on for a few minutes after cooking to clean it, make sure you remember to come back and turn it off or you will have a very clean grill the next time you use it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
3/12/14 8:33 p.m.

Natural gas makes a smaller boom than propane, unless its inside an enclosed space, and then only because it is lighter than air, so it packs the house from the attic down, and eventually gets to the pilot light in the basement, and blows the house straight to hell. Propane will just sit on the floor and blow the windows out of the first floor...I've seen them both.

To the original question- I've had a Broil King for 15 years or so, and other than replacing some of the consumables last summer, its been great. At least around here, they won't sell you a jet kit anymore- the unit has to be specific to the fuel. If you don't have to move it, there is no reason to use propane- the down sides to gas is you are tied to your house, but for me, thats not a problem. Other thing is here, we need a licenced gas fitter to do the plumbing, so that adds expense.

Ransom
3/12/14 10:21 p.m.

Cool, good start!

We have a plumber taking care of running the pipes. The black pipe was cheaper in materials, but the corrugated saves enough time on these runs to be a wash, so we're going with that.

Good to know about the big boxes possibly selling grills which might not be regionally legit. I'll double check.

Yeah, my plan is to have the plumber take care of everything possible. It did not escape me that the day he came by to estimate the installation was the same day of that explosion in NYC...

For the fun part, any other suggestions for grills? Weber sounds like an excellent way to go. I'll look into the Platinum, but between what I know of their pricing and the name "Platinum", I'm a little scared.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
3/12/14 10:27 p.m.

Single braid hoses or better, Gas will earn your respect sooner or later.

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
3/13/14 6:14 a.m.

While the CSST is an approved material for gas piping, I refuse to use it. Seen way too many problems with it. Mostly the fittings start to leak, but also seen homeowner damage, abrasion damage, and crushed pipe to name a few. I spent all day running gas lines yesterday to a heating unit in the basement and two in the 3rd floor attic. Sure it would have been easier to just drag stainless hose up a common wall to the attic, but I wouldn't want it done that way in my house, so why would I install it in someone else's house. I could have made more money doing it that way, but I'm not trying to make the most in the shortest period of time and move onto the next job. Trust me, you want black pipe!!!!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
3/13/14 6:33 a.m.

I have black pipe running to the exterior of the house with a shutoff valve. From there it goes to soft copper in to the grill. It wasn't my design as it was there when we bought the house. All I did was purchase a pedestal mount grill and run the gas line up the post.

Love not having propane tank to refill.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
3/13/14 7:25 a.m.

We got nat gas years ago and love it. We got it for the water heater, but had to add two minor appliances to get the service. So we added a connection for a gas grill on the deck and gas logs in the fireplace. I hate the gas logs, but the grill is da bomb. We got a Napoleon grill (from Canada) from a local fireplace shop. I thought it was expensive at the time ($600), but that seems to be normal price now. It is well built, but did have to replace the burner once. I need to replace the grates now.

freestyle
freestyle Reader
3/13/14 8:09 a.m.

I used to have a big box stainless grill. It looked impressive but quickly fell apart. I like my Weber gas grill. Everything is replaceable and they have been for years. Well built and not disposable. Very GRM.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
3/13/14 8:13 a.m.

Try to find one with a Cast Iron burner. My inlaws bought one and the burner lasted almost 20 years. I normally get 3 from a steel one.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/14 8:31 a.m.

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/07/charcoal-grilling-is-objectively-scientifically-better-than-gas/

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/14 9:10 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

I was just going to say the same thing. The wife has gas in the kitchen. Charcoal isn't as convenient as gas, but if I was worried about convenience I'd just stay inside.

Ransom
3/13/14 9:24 a.m.

Re: charcoal. It's all about what's important to you in the experience.

To me, it's being able to cook outside at the drop of a hat (and the turn of a knob).

The distinction in convenience makes charcoal a nonstarter. I've had a chimney, I know the oiled-newspaper trick. I will have a better spring/summer/fall if cooking on the grill means turning a couple of knobs and brushing the grill down.

I would like to find a grill that allows me to toss in a tray of wood chips, but that's not where my priorities are.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
3/13/14 9:30 a.m.

One downside to a natural gas grill vs. a propane is that a natural gas grill will burn forever if you forget to turn it off. My record is one week with corresponding record gas bill.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/14 9:32 a.m.

Hey there's also this:

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/07/gas-grilling-is-objectively-scientifically-better-than-charcoal/

Ransom
3/13/14 9:47 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

That's awesome. I guess it doesn't matter your affiliation, there's a news source to pander to you

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
3/13/14 9:51 a.m.
Ransom wrote: Re: charcoal. It's all about what's important to you in the experience. To me, it's being able to cook outside at the drop of a hat (and the turn of a knob). The distinction in convenience makes charcoal a nonstarter. I've had a chimney, I know the oiled-newspaper trick. I will have a better spring/summer/fall if cooking on the grill means turning a couple of knobs and brushing the grill down. I would like to find a grill that allows me to toss in a tray of wood chips, but that's not where my priorities are.

What Ransom said. I have both, and I have to say, if I relied only on charcoal, we'd only eat off the grill on weekends, and only a few of those.

I have a Weber Summit that I love love love. Mine's LP, but you can get natural gas conversion kits for less than $100. Yeah, it was way more than I've ever spent on a grill before, but it has a flame-fired wood chip box for smoking (that works), a lovely fold-away rotisserie with separate infrared burner (that works), a "sear station" that is fabulous for steaks, plenty of grill space so you can move food around and cook with indirect heat, and has held up extremely well. Highly recommend.

I did charcoal exclusively for many years, and yeah, it's easier to produce a tasty product, but once you learn how to manage a gas grill and prepare food to cook on it, you'll become a very occasional user of your charcoal (if at all).

Margie

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/14 3:14 p.m.
Ransom wrote: I would like to find a grill that allows me to toss in a tray of wood chips, but that's not where my priorities are.

I've had good luck wrapping a bunch of wood chips in a bundle in some tin foil, poking some holes in it and setting it next to the burner on my Father in Law's gas grill.

Edit: Here's a packet of wood chips on my grill, it has worked as well on the gas grill.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
3/13/14 3:26 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Hey there's also this: http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/07/gas-grilling-is-objectively-scientifically-better-than-charcoal/

Cool story bro.

It's a big PITA, especially when you've got say 12-15 in the backyard drinking, playing horseshoes, etc and you're trying to cook burgers, brats, toast buns, corn on the cob, etc.

Hardwood charcoal doesn't burn long enough, so you constantly have to have two starters, then refill the grill without getting ash everywhere..

Ransom
3/13/14 4:11 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

Having to wade through all my ranting in the dealership thread must've broken you...

The link you quoted is the gas > charcoal counterpoint

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eri4j3SaWrsgVVtaiO46Big2dxDIAu7HEF0jsNGNmBPCJp0ahQJSb7RFrFoWDGBj