1 2 3
curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/13/17 2:21 p.m.

I have a hankering for a new watch. I stopped wearing one ages ago when cell phones happened. Now that I'm a swanky technical director and wear suits to shows and stuff, I want a nice watch that makes a statement.

Needs:
- big face. I have big hands and I'm a big guy.
- good name. I have a nice Citizen that I bought in 1995, but its small and a dated style.
- backlit. Theater stuff means dark
- looks swanky
- reliable and durable. I sometimes have to chip in and work shows and I don't want to have to be super careful with it
- Budget is about $300

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/13/17 2:52 p.m.

Do you want hands/dial?
Do you want digital read out?
Do you want smartness, phone capability?

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
1/13/17 3:00 p.m.

I'm rocking my original Pebble watch, blackfriday sale for about $90 2 years ago. Connects to my phone to give me notifications for texts, emails, calls. Shake it and it lights up, download almost any watch face you want. (I use a simple one with a large time and smaller date below)

The0retical
The0retical Dork
1/13/17 3:06 p.m.

What's your style?

Do you want something big and chunky like a dive watch or something thinner and dressier?

Dive and nice sport watches would meet your criteria since they stand out, are backlit and are durable.

My suits get worn microbrand dive watches so I might not be the best source for fashion advice. I have a few others in rotation for when I'm in just a polo.

Alternatively I'd head off to Watchrecon and stick in your price range. I can assure you you'll find something that floats your boat.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/17 3:10 p.m.

I'm going to assume a good analog watch here, not digital or smart.

For reading in the dark, it's hard to beat Luminox. They've got tritium tubes so they never get dim and the 12 o'clock indicator is in a different color. Most of their watches are tacticool for SEAL wannabes, but they do have a few in their "Atacama" line that are classy and a good size for the big wrist kinda guy. The problem will be finding one in your budget.

Another alternative is Mondaine. It's a more European look (it's the face of the Swiss railway) but it's got a simple, classy look. A bit smaller than the Luminox, but it's got the same bombproof illumination. It's also a ridiculously easy face to read. Well within the budget. Also available with white face.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WFB1P6

The0retical
The0retical Dork
1/13/17 3:13 p.m.

Oh just remembered that the new Seiko SRP777 and SRP775 falls into that range. It's a reissued 6390 one of the most iconic dive watches of all time.

Left 777 right 775

trucke
trucke Dork
1/13/17 3:24 p.m.

Citizen has a bunch of Eco-Drive watches in your price range. I'm sure they'll have one in a style you like.

curtis73
1/13/17 4:09 p.m.

I'm trying to find a picture of a watch I like for style reasons but I can't really find an accurate picture.

Dive watch wouldn't be a bad thing, especially because waterproof and bulletproof. If I could find one that looked classy, I'd do it.

In general, I like complexity in design. Clear faces that show the movement are a neat thing. As long as it looks detailed and complex without being hard to read, I tend to like that style.

As far as thick/thin; thick looks better but gets in the way easier, so medium thickness? Or maybe either one?

This Patek Phillippe has a nice face, but not the features I'm looking for like easy reading:

This Patek has a very nice date hand. Not sure I'm sold on the starry face

curtis73
1/13/17 4:11 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Do you want hands/dial? Do you want digital read out? Do you want smartness, phone capability?

Hands/dial

Not digital unless its a small digital readout in addition to the hands

Not really into smartphone compatibility, mostly because I've not seen any in my style that do that.

curtis73
1/13/17 4:14 p.m.

I want a watch that a connoisseur would say "nice choice" but not be jealous, and the average person on the street would notice it and be compelled to remark about it.

Like a nice pair of Nunn Bush dress shoes. They aren't stoopid expensive, but nice shoes that a shoe whore would say "nice choice" and the average person would say "I love your shoes".

Gary
Gary Dork
1/13/17 4:15 p.m.

For good looks, low price, and relative exclusivity, I agree with Keith on the Luminox.

curtis73
1/13/17 4:19 p.m.

This android is a very nice style. If I found something like this that added a more textured bezel, and lines for minutes/seconds to make it easier reading, it would be a style I could like.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
1/13/17 4:26 p.m.
mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/13/17 4:36 p.m.

Check out Bulova's and Accutrons. They can be found for under $300 pretty easy, have more than a few options that you can see the movement, and are pretty classy but not way classy.

examples: Bulova 1

Bulova 2

Bulova 3--stretch the budget a little bit

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/17 4:46 p.m.

Here's the Luminox. It may be a bit simple. Honestly, of all my watches, the one that gets the biggest comments is the Mondaine - but it's very pared down in style. Second is a relatively inexpensive Ecodrive on a nice strap, but I was putting night legibility near the top of the list.

The chrono has more going on if you want more complication (in multiple senses of the word). They both come in a range of strap, face and body colors. Chrono is probably getting too far past the budget, though.

curtis73
1/13/17 5:08 p.m.

I do like the Mondaine, but I think I'm leaning toward a more classic look.

Tk8398
Tk8398 New Reader
1/13/17 5:16 p.m.

The Seiko SRP watches are good. A new old stock Braun AW10 from eBay would be good too although not backlit. The new ones are kinda cheap but I like the old ones.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/13/17 5:24 p.m.

Sounds like you're into skeleton watches. I have a see-through Swatch from high school (circa 1985). One day I should see if a new battery gets it back running.

curtis73
1/13/17 5:27 p.m.

Ok, so here is what I'm doing. On Amazon I'm searching "men's chronograph watch", selecting $100-400, and then selecting brands. I put in Citizen, Seiko, Bulova, Luminox, Movado (I didn't see Mondaine, but I think I've ruled them out at this point)

Looking at bezels, I'm probably looking for at least 40mm, maybe 46mm.

Stainless (primarily because my chemistry eats most metals and because I'm more of a silver guy)

Water resistant/proof a definite need.

I prefer a metal band, but also prefer the look of how strap bands attach. It looks like a circle with two bands instead of a band that merges into a circle. Does that make sense?

For instance: This band flows and merges into the case. Its ok but not preferred.

Notice how this band is a straight band that ends at a round case. I prefer this look

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/13/17 5:30 p.m.

The other most important question- what price range? (sounds like an automatic watch is what you are desiring)

Patek Philippe are not exactly cheap. Some are more than my house. Or at least close to it.

I recently got a Sturling which showed all of the internals, too. And was pretty cheap. Just doesn't have the dials that you can see well...

If it helps, I found this blog site which was interesting- http://www.ablogtowatch.com/

(edit I added the link better, and I see you put a price range in)

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/13/17 5:32 p.m.
akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
1/13/17 5:37 p.m.
Jerry wrote: I'm rocking my original Pebble watch, blackfriday sale for about $90 2 years ago. Connects to my phone to give me notifications for texts, emails, calls. Shake it and it lights up, download almost any watch face you want. (I use a simple one with a large time and smaller date below)

Loved my Pebble Classic. Killed it, but it didn't owe me a penny. Bummer about the whole fitbit situation.

I have an Asus ZenWatch 2 now. If you turn off the wifi (still connects to the phone just fine), the battery lasts a few days and only cost a little more than a Pebble2 HR. I switched the band to a generic black rubber band and I'm happy with it other than it's only splash proof.

curtis73
1/13/17 5:47 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: The other most important question- what price range? (sounds like an automatic watch is what you are desiring) Patek Philippe are not exactly cheap. Some are more than my house. Or at least close to it. I recently got a Sturling which showed all of the internals, too. And was pretty cheap. Just doesn't have the dials that you can see well... If it helps, I found this blog site which was interesting- http://www.ablogtowatch.com/ (edit I added the link better, and I see you put a price range in)

Yeah... I showed some pictures of a Patek just for style suggestions. They're pricey.

D2W
D2W Reader
1/13/17 6:02 p.m.

Do you want an automatic, or are you okay with quartz or kinetic? If automatic, a chronograph is probably out of your price range. I wear a Seiko dive watch daily (SKX007). It is an automatic, 200m waterproof, and will take a beating, and is in your price range. Orient also sells a nice automatic dive watch.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/13/17 6:13 p.m.

It's funny how we all have our preferences, yet there's a watch for every desire. Checking out the Seiko5s, too? That's my daily.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
liwOKBU7vd7Zm7ABqNgToa6WtEUpHAngZqMEvxq2irAZTvKd0pTPyfT0jPfwdSRA