1 2
dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/27/15 2:15 p.m.

I recently converted to a standing desk and really like it. The downside is standing on a very thin piece of carpeting glued down to concrete. Where can I go to pick up some some of pad designed for anti-fatigue? I looked at the big box HW stores, but prices were crazy. TIA!

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/27/15 2:23 p.m.

We've found them at Aldi before. Otherwise I'd check out ULine.

Don't discount your shoes. What is best for sitting is not necessarily the best for walking is not necessarily the best for standing.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
8/27/15 2:24 p.m.

Check horse stall mats at Tractor Supply. Might not be quite as squishy, but I've been eyeballing them for my shop for similar purposes.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/27/15 2:26 p.m.

And get a foot rest so you can keep 1 foot up at least some of the time. Your lower back will thank you.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
8/27/15 2:30 p.m.

Harbor Freight. 10 bucks. http://www.harborfreight.com/anti-fatigue-roll-mat-62205.html

Or Amazon, 13 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Joe-Anti-Fatigue-Beveled-3-Feet/dp/B000EFK9KM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440703763&sr=8-1&keywords=anti+fatigue+mat

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/27/15 2:42 p.m.

Pad + Shoes. When I scrub in surgery I can be pretty much in one place for 3-5 hours. I started using one of those mats (well, a 'hospital grade' one) and it definitely helps, but shoes made more of a difference for me.

fritzsch
fritzsch Dork
8/27/15 2:59 p.m.

I picked up an anti fatigue mat from lowes/home depot. I forgot which one. For sure less than $25, it was for a school project so I don't remember exactly

Skervey
Skervey Reader
8/27/15 6:00 p.m.

I stand all day at work as well, only not a desk job but a job in shipping. My back and feet only hurt when im standing still for a long time. When im walking im fine. I have a mat at my computer and it does not seem to do anything after 30 min of standing I start hurting. The biggest thing with back pain is not your back. Its you core and legs. Try the stretch your legs often and do some crunches and leg lifts. Its no fun but it will help

And good for you for getting a standing desk!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
8/27/15 7:22 p.m.
Duke wrote: And get a foot rest so you can keep 1 foot up at least some of the time. Your lower back will thank you.

This is very true.

dyintorace
8/27/15 7:42 p.m.

Thanks for the tips so far. For the folks commenting about footwear, what do you recommend?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/15 7:56 p.m.

I have Redwings and I stand on the sidewalk most of an 8 hour shift with no problems. I get about 6-8 months out of a pair but once they are worn I have to replace them quick. If I walk to long in worn out ones my knees hurt. This shouldn't matter in an office but outside I try to keep something to stand on to insulate me from the ground to keep my feet warmer.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/27/15 7:58 p.m.

I spend all.day on my feet. I have mat- but my shoes are key. I've found high end asics to be my jam.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UberDork
8/27/15 8:56 p.m.

Shoes have been the best thing for me, but everyone is so different its hard to suggest what works for someone else. I have some weird sketchers where the sole is a bunch of little squares. They've been great for my knees/back.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
8/27/15 10:00 p.m.

On concrete all day, I find a good fitting heavy soled work boot to be far better than a sneaker type of shoe. Not sure why.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
8/27/15 10:32 p.m.

If I am in anything other than a work boot, my feet ache by the end of the day. I am a shop teacher; I am on my feet and moving around all day.

Think about it - boots are made for people who are on their feet all day. Try them.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
8/28/15 8:14 a.m.

30 years in boots on Pecan floor block over concrete and my feet never bothered me. Always liked a 8" boot for ankle support while climbing. 6 months at a new plant w/ all concrete floors my feet, arches, ankles and knees were killin' me. Tried several different boots w/ no relief. Tried the soft soled safety shoes and bingo, works for me, seven days a week even. YMMV.

Our plant is prolly 40/60 shoes to boots. Shoe truck boots ain't the greatest either.

dyintorace
8/28/15 9:20 a.m.

Thanks again! Ordered a mat to start, will look at shoes next.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
8/28/15 9:40 a.m.

When I have trouble standing at work, I usually resolve to drink less the next day.

just kidding.

Toebra
Toebra Reader
8/28/15 12:17 p.m.

Buy support stockings, get a few pair so you can wear them every day. 15-20 mm compression should be plenty.

Find shoes you like and get two pairs. Try not to wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row.

Get the mat, consider getting some Superfeet insoles. Stay away from the Good Feet Store. Good shoes cost money. You could drop a couple hundred on a pair of Redwing Boots right quick.

I am a podiatrist in real life.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/28/15 12:33 p.m.
Toebra wrote: Buy support stockings, get a few pair so you can wear them every day. 15-20 mm compression should be plenty. Find shoes you like and get two pairs. Try not to wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row. Get the mat, consider getting some Superfeet insoles. Stay away from the Good Feet Store. Good shoes cost money. You could drop a couple hundred on a pair of Redwing Boots right quick. I am a podiatrist in real life.

What is your opinion of the superfeet compared to Birkenstock insoles? I've always used the birks, or some licensed by Birkenstock, but the superfeet are considerably cheaper.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/28/15 1:40 p.m.

When I worked in restaurants, stepping off the rubber mat behind the line was like getting a hammer blow to the foot.

http://www.americanfloormats.com/commercial-restaurant-kitchen-mats/

Wally
8/28/15 4:34 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: Shoes have been the best thing for me, but everyone is so different its hard to suggest what works for someone else. I have some weird sketchers where the sole is a bunch of little squares. They've been great for my knees/back.

I liked the Sketchers too but being a fat guy that walks a lot I wore the soles of them quickly. One pair I went through in about a month. I used to prefer boots until I broke my ankle. Now I only wear them in bad weather or extreme cold.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
8/28/15 6:46 p.m.

Superfeet insoles. Not padded in any way. Padded insoles wear out eventually. Superfeet gather up your own padding under your heels plus the arch supports come in four or five different styles to suit your particular feet. I work in them. I run in them. I climb mountains in them. Actually, it's the same set. They last a long time. I just set them out in the sun occasionally for 15 minutes to keep 'em dewy fresh.

Wally
8/28/15 6:52 p.m.

If you use the Dr Scholls gel inserts be careful jumping. I hopped off a stuck wheelchair lift and blew one out.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/28/15 7:24 p.m.
Toebra wrote: Buy support stockings, get a few pair so you can wear them every day. 15-20 mm compression should be plenty. Find shoes you like and get two pairs. Try not to wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row. Get the mat, consider getting some Superfeet insoles. Stay away from the Good Feet Store. Good shoes cost money. You could drop a couple hundred on a pair of Redwing Boots right quick. I am a podiatrist in real life.

This is excellent info.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OKgSZc28o68jjuuvztYtqihIzhs6XNmCNiS6AZNMmhcZ7m8UP0tcGLk2qcHsuQqN