1 2
erasmus229
erasmus229 Reader
12/17/13 9:39 p.m.

Thinking about retiring the 88 Subaru go with 250k in favor of a 97 Lexus ls400 with 160k. I have a short commute but will be taking the little one daycare with it. Subie has been a smoker car and I'm a tech at Toyota. I don't see a downside but need more input . Good buy or foolish whim?

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/17/13 9:43 p.m.

One of the most bulletproof cars ever made.

carbon
carbon Reader
12/17/13 9:56 p.m.

You're a tech at toyota, think of the ls400 as them trying as hard as they've ever tried.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/17/13 10:01 p.m.

I don't see any downside to this if the Lexus is a reasonable price.

erasmus229
erasmus229 Reader
12/17/13 10:08 p.m.

Reasonable price with employee discount Always heard they were good and we only see them for routine stuff. Seems like fun. Not blistering off the line but handles good and rolling accel is sweet.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
12/17/13 10:45 p.m.

In reply to carbon:

Its like they hit a Mercedes 560SEL with the Toyota stick REALLLLLLLLLLY hard.

former520
former520 Reader
12/17/13 11:25 p.m.

Picked one up for the Mrs several years ago due in part by the rep here. Got it at 190k with full records for $1500 and sold it earlier this year with 260k for $2200.

In that time we did have some repairs/ maintenance. I was able to do it all myself as it is a pretty easy car to work on (it does have a ton of vacuum lines on the 91 we had). Barring on the clutch fan failed (it is not mounted to the water pump), had to take the timing belt off to replace and did a full tune up/ water pump/ timing belt. Had to replace a valve cover gasket and a factory radio. Other than brakes and tires, it was no trouble. Hard to not recommend.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/13 8:52 a.m.

I do not see a downside to this

Powar
Powar SuperDork
12/18/13 1:55 p.m.

I had a '97 LS400 Coach Edition. Hell of a car--- Reliable as an anvil. Fairly stylish. Quick. Fair handling for its size. Quiet. Comfortable.

It got crap fuel econ on premium fuel, but that isn't at the top of the list of concerns for a car like this, IMO.

The starters fail and are sort of a pain to replace. The power steering pumps will eventually leak, which goes into the alternator and will sometimes mean replacing both. Those are honestly the only two common failure points I can recall, and even those weren't all that common.

This was mine right after I bought it:

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
12/18/13 5:36 p.m.
mndsm wrote: One of the most bulletproof cars ever made.

If I could deal with it being auto and the gas mileage I would have one right now.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/18/13 5:50 p.m.

Its an auto and gets the mileage of a truck... while not being a truck and I still want one.

erasmus229
erasmus229 Reader
12/18/13 6:28 p.m.

Like I said, I'm blessed with a short commute and easy access to affordable parts. I think the auto will be nice with a little one too. I'm doing it.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/18/13 6:29 p.m.

Good man.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/13 7:28 p.m.

I think this is a smart buy for your intended purpose.

beans
beans HalfDork
12/18/13 7:35 p.m.

Isn't there something like lower or upper control arms on these that can be a pain to locate and are a mirrion dorrars?

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
12/18/13 7:36 p.m.
beans wrote: Isn't there something like lower or upper control arms on these that can be a pain to locate and are a mirrion dorrars?

Yes and no. If you're not a stancetard, you don't have a problem.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
12/18/13 7:59 p.m.
beans wrote: Isn't there something like lower or upper control arms on these that can be a pain to locate and are a mirrion dorrars?

Newer LS car control arms are insanely price. We did a quote on a car that needed them. It was like $2000 or something like that for parts alone for all the control arms up front.

I'd love to have a 90s LS though.

beans
beans HalfDork
12/19/13 10:56 a.m.

Good to know. Had a buddy pick up a crazy clean 94 the other day for a steal.

erasmus229
erasmus229 Reader
12/19/13 11:35 a.m.

Did a little research on the MPG btw. Most say 30 highway is the norm IF you keep your foot out of it.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
12/19/13 3:03 p.m.
erasmus229 wrote: Did a little research on the MPG btw. Most say 30 highway is the norm IF you keep your foot out of it.

Not a berkeleying chance.

gofastbobby
gofastbobby Reader
12/19/13 4:41 p.m.

In reply to erasmus229:

what's the heavy foot penalty? thats more realistic for me.

erasmus229
erasmus229 Reader
12/19/13 6:17 p.m.

Low twenties

gofastbobby
gofastbobby Reader
12/19/13 6:34 p.m.

hmmm. They are a great car, VERY comfortable. A friend has the LS430, it's a creampuff of a car. one of the most comfortable nice riding, quiet cars i've been in.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
12/19/13 7:09 p.m.

I had a '95 which was the same basic car. Mine was not maintained very well so I had some catching up to do on it. (timing belt, starter, tune-up, etc.) Like everyone says, they are very reliable. The '97 had a few flaws ironed out of it that the '95 could exhibit. (ie, auto power steering column tilt can stop working on the '95 due to bad wire routing, fixed on the '96 and '97) Being a Toyota tech you'll have no problems working on it. I reliably got 25 - 27mpg on long freeway trips and then 19mpg or so if it was all city and short commutes. When a Miata only manages about 25mpg with the same commute I would say that's passable for a car the size of a small condominium. The back seat is roomier than the front seat on most small cars.

We could fit a rear-facing child seat in the rear, four adults, and all our stuff for a week long cabin trip without too much squeezing. And we still got over 20mpg and were cruising in comfort.

The control arms are available after-market now. I would use Toyota parts if at all feasible, but they're around $200/ea aftermarket I think.

erasmus229
erasmus229 Reader
12/21/13 7:34 p.m.

Bought it today! Love it. While not at all practical for a NW Montana winter its wonderful. The lap of luxury after a beater gl wagon

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vo1wnaN3xwykNr8qklxYJh8dvnJBN3Ny644dLtXwvz2huThWUzP6p7Udb7vmkvma