Lennyseleven
Lennyseleven New Reader
7/30/08 12:45 a.m.

Looking to go to New England for honeymoon in November, pretty much just planning on getting in the car and going and basically making a rough tour, just trying to find some good destinations or roadways to give us some kind of path to follow. Anyone from the area or otherwise throw me some ideas if you have em

thanks Nick

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
7/30/08 4:05 a.m.

This is the obvious one:

~Tour New England~

But as a car guy, if you're anywhere near Hyannis Port on Cape Cod, you should check out Toad Hall and the "all red" collection.

~Toad Hall~

steamcorners
steamcorners Reader
7/30/08 6:09 a.m.

Honeymooned in Bar Harbor, Maine. 4 Hours north of Boston, it was a bit of a drive (ended up being 18 hours--IN A MIATA) from Ohio--but it was great. Didn't take in much more of New England, but Acadia National Park is something to behold. However, you might be getting a bit cold in November. We went in late September, and it was perfect. . .

Did another trip--flying, then driving--to southern New England (Boston, Cape Cod, Newport, RI, Mystic, CT--this past year. I only budgeted 1 day in the Cape--BIG MISTAKE. I wish we could have stayed much longer.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
7/30/08 7:18 a.m.

I was going to say Maine, but it may be a little cold. Otherwise i know nothing about New England.

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
7/30/08 7:50 a.m.

There ia also a Auto Museum in Sandwich, MA....the name escapes me, but it has a big round Barn. I stopped there on my Honeymoon. I wished that I'd known about Toad Hall.

We flew in to Providence, RI., spent the night and drove the Cape to Provincetown, stopping and seeing the sights on 6A (the northern road). We then came back down on Rte 28, through Chatham, Hyannis to Woods Hole.

After that, we took the Ferry to the Vineyard and stayed in Edgartown for a few days. I love the Vineyard.

Then off to Newport RI., to see what the ungodly wealthy people called "cottages". We took a tour of (3) of them.

I'd like to go to New England again, but my Wife and Daughter like the OBX too much. Maybe I'll just take my Son.....

Congratulations on getting married.

-John

iceracer
iceracer New Reader
7/30/08 9:10 a.m.

If you are into skiing, there are a lot of places,esp. VT.

Jack
Jack SuperDork
7/30/08 10:30 a.m.

I you guys are the artsy types, check out Ogunquit, ME. it's just over the border from New Hampshire on I-95. Beautiful harbor, artist colony, craft stuff, antiques, etc. A few days there, then scoot up the coast on Route 1, an hour or so North of Portland to many great little harbor towns, beyond Bar Harbor, etc. At that time of year, you should be able to drive up, without reservations and find a quaint B&B to stay in. At least it was that way years ago when we lived just South of Portland. Anything on the ME coast, after Labor Day, is off-season pricing too.

Congrats, marriage is a wonderful institution. I've been sleeping with my best friend for about 20 years.

Jack Seattle, formerly of Saco, ME

Lennyseleven
Lennyseleven New Reader
7/30/08 10:33 p.m.

thanks guys!

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
7/31/08 7:16 a.m.

Lots of the places in Bar Harbor Maine are closed that time of year, FYI. Many of the bars, galleries, and B/Bs we checked out had limited hours, if any, open past October, so look into it.

That's one of the things about going to a place in the off season. They know it's the off season too, and sometimes it isn't worth trying to get your dime. I'd look for places that are good for winter sports if you're into it. NH's presidential range is gorgeous and has good skiing, as do the mountains of VT. You could also pop down to boston, though I don't think it's exactly known for great times in winter.

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/31/08 9:23 a.m.

Cape Cod is really nice, starting the day after Columbus Day, which is when everyone else goes home. No traffic and no lines.

Or, start in Connecticut (just buy gas before you get here or after you leave).

Be sure to bring your new bride to Lime Rock. Then continue North along Route 7, through Great Barrington, Mass (stop at the brew pub for lunch), into Vermont. Stop at Hemmings in Bennington, drive to the top of Mt. Equinox, and then cruise on up to Lake Champlain.

Can't go wrong with Route 7 for a good mix of husband / wife stuff to do and see.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VaZXhA9lrMl9AIRseD0axhI5yT665odRdhmf1dJzSG58hqXYlkZVY8LGZdBXAuUW