1 2
MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/12/19 5:36 p.m.

So lets say one has $60k burning a hole in ones pocket and wants a fast AWD car. Which one would you go for?

A new model 3 performance is $63k without tax breaks, etc.(that is model 3 performance in Blue or Red with Autopilot.)

A used DBA R35 GTR with 20k-50k miles is similarly priced

Specs

Model 3 0-60 time of 3.3 seconds, 0-100 in 8.6, and a quarter-mile of 11.8 seconds at 113.7 mph.

R35(from C&D 12 GTR test) 0-60 time of 2.9 sec, 0-100 in 7.1 sec, and a quarter-mile of 11.2 at 126mph.

vs

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/19 5:43 p.m.

Tesla

MrChaos
10/12/19 5:47 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Tesla

That is almost what I am feeling as well, eventhough the GTR is a monster of a car.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
10/12/19 6:05 p.m.

Pretty polarized options.  Do you want Nissan's gasoline powered, supercomputer controlled swan song, or the electric equivalent of the Model T.  

Full disclosure, I have never driven a GTR.  I have a Tesla P85S in the family I drive commonly.  Once the Tesla fan fare wore off, it is basically a fancy golf cart, and the interior fit and finish is terrible.  In the 200K miles the following has been replaced (under warranty, thank God): 

Powertrain unit (x2) - Replaced twice due to high pitch whining noise coming from motor.  Something to do with metal filing finding their way into the coolant system.  

Full battery skid (x1) - Failed at 180K miles.  Only 5% degradation since new and then nothing...  

Numerous interior piece due to fit quality 

The primary display delaminated and had to be replaced 

Rear window slider failed 

If you add the cost of all those parts above t would be more than we payed for the car... just something to think about.   

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
10/12/19 6:50 p.m.

I am the last person in the world to recommend a Nissan to anybody, but in this case.... Nissan.

The Tesla is a fashion statement. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/12/19 7:27 p.m.

Both have a lot of cool factor but it's totally different cool factor. The performance is amusingly similar, but that doesn't even occur to most people.

daeman
daeman Dork
10/12/19 7:41 p.m.

Sure the performance specs are close, but I'm willing to bet the handling is world's apart

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
10/12/19 7:41 p.m.

GTR for sure and I'm not even a Nissan fan.  There are a few guys around here that DD them and they're really growing on me.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/19 8:37 p.m.

GTR

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
10/12/19 8:44 p.m.

Definitely gtr

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
10/12/19 9:22 p.m.

I'm usually pro American car but even I would say gtr. It looks better too me, it has a huge aftermarket and is a fantastic performing car.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/12/19 9:23 p.m.

Tesla

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/19 9:28 p.m.
NordicSaab said:

Pretty polarized options.  Do you want Nissan's gasoline powered, supercomputer controlled swan song, or the electric equivalent of the Model T.  

Full disclosure, I have never driven a GTR.  I have a Tesla P85S in the family I drive commonly.  Once the Tesla fan fare wore off, it is basically a fancy golf cart, and the interior fit and finish is terrible.  In the 200K miles the following has been replaced (under warranty, thank God): 

Powertrain unit (x2) - Replaced twice due to high pitch whining noise coming from motor.  Something to do with metal filing finding their way into the coolant system.  

Full battery skid (x1) - Failed at 180K miles.  Only 5% degradation since new and then nothing...  

Numerous interior piece due to fit quality 

The primary display delaminated and had to be replaced 

Rear window slider failed 

If you add the cost of all those parts above t would be more than we payed for the car... just something to think about.   

how many normal cars never reach those mileage numbers?

MrChaos
10/12/19 9:58 p.m.
mad_machine said:

how many normal cars never reach those mileage numbers?

I mean I am seeing a fair number of early gtr's with 100k miles which is kindof impressive for a supercar

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/19 10:02 p.m.
daeman said:

Sure the performance specs are close, but I'm willing to bet the handling is world's apart

Based on autox results for the Tesla vs. my own experience autocrossing a GTR, I’m almost certain the Tesla handles way better. You really feel the GTRs weight, and it doesn’t carry speed around tighter corners well. 

MrChaos
10/12/19 10:33 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:
daeman said:

Based on autox results for the Tesla vs. my own experience autocrossing a GTR, I’m almost certain the Tesla handles way better. You really feel the GTRs weight, and it doesn’t carry speed around tighter corners well. 

model 3 performance weighs 200lbs more than a gtr...

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
10/12/19 11:38 p.m.

If you want to do track days, seems like it needs to be Nissan if you want to run fast all day. 

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/12/19 11:40 p.m.

GTR is just cooler to me, the Tesla looks like a block of soap that melted a bit.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/19 12:05 a.m.

If you’re doing track days, the GTR. When it comes to pounding around all day, the EVs are behind. If it’s for street use, the Tesla. It accelerates in a very different way than a gas car does. I’m honestly not sure you’d have to spring for the Performance package.

One thing to remember about GTRs - they’re basically supercars that are being serviced by an econobox company. A friend who owned one had some trouble with that. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/13/19 6:49 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

My sienna minivan did. Original transmission and engine. 

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
10/13/19 8:21 a.m.

In my family, pretty much every car we buy. Acura, Mercedes, Ford, GM, Mazda, Porsche, they all have or will be 200k before we move on  

However, the Tesla is the only one that feels like the proverbial Grandpa's ax... 2 new handles and one new head. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/19 8:26 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

One thing to remember about GTRs - they’re basically supercars that are being serviced by an econobox company. A friend who owned one had some trouble with that. 

This, with a cherry on top. A friend of mine was at some point the only Nissan-certified GTR mechanic in Reno and that was after he'd left Nissan. I talked to him about GTRs before we decided to spend the money on a house move instead, and he did warn me that the maintenance costs on these are rather high. Which of course means that people don't always do the maintenance by the book and that is if they can even find the right shop in the first place.

They're impressingly fast on the track, probably overkill on the road.

For that sort of money unless you need something that could at least theoretically be serviced by an econobox company, why not look at an R32 or R33 if you're looking at Nissans?

Oh, and on the electric side I'd also throw in a P-something-or-other Model S.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/19 8:46 a.m.
NordicSaab said:

In my family, pretty much every car we buy. Acura, Mercedes, Ford, GM, Mazda, Porsche, they all have or will be 200k before we move on  

However, the Tesla is the only one that feels like the proverbial Grandpa's ax... 2 new handles and one new head. 

that is impressive. I have only owned one car with over 200kon it. Usually they seem to die long before that due to careless attention by other drivers. It does not help that if I do 7000 miles a year, that is a lot of miles for me. Between two cars, I would need to keep them several decades to get that sort of miles on the clock

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
10/13/19 10:32 a.m.

What are you planning to do with it? And have you driven both?

Personally, if you're gonna have fun and do normal car stuff FIRST, then get the Tesla Model 3. 2016 was a big watershed year for Tesla's reliability it seems, and through trolling forums they seriously improved their motor and battery assembly to prevent issues like what NordicSaab went through. So far, it seems like the Model 3 really is the home run in regards to parts, interior and such.

If you're gonna do the sports car level stuff, go GTR- but I have to echo what Kieth says. Here in the Midwest despite living in a city of 1.5 million I can count the number of GTRs i've seen on the road- but the Model 3s are becoming more common. Just because it's been in production for 10 years doesn't mean parts availability or knowledge has permeated everywhere, like the problems Toyota's having with the GT86/FR-S/BRZ engine replacements.

Either way tho, I think you're gonna be pleased with your choice.

MrChaos
10/13/19 10:34 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

this would be a replacement for my ND RF in a few years, or I could just spend the same money and sent the ND to Flyin Miata and have a v8 ND

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5tmE3ePgTa1RpiJuyqNKyOUxqzEiPNoIlnYbKnRwbhyuTXwnJyvgMBHG0kDTrhqt