Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/19 11:37 a.m.

Send nd to fm 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/19 12:35 p.m.

Audi RS3 and extremely minor bolt ons.

Teslas can generally only be serviced by Tesla because they are not releasing service information to the aftermarket, and the GTR has already been covered.

Yes, a high end modern Audi would make for a LOWER maintenance nightmare...

Error404
Error404 Reader
10/13/19 1:05 p.m.

GTR but I'm not an EV fan so I'm pretty biased

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/13/19 2:46 p.m.

Which one costs more to DIY fix? Because if you just blew your $60,000 on the car, you'll probably need to fix things yourself.

Also, can my opinion be neither? 

Catatafish
Catatafish Reader
10/13/19 3:15 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

You do a lot of diy fixes on brand new cars with warranties? (Tesla)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/13/19 4:00 p.m.

In reply to Catatafish :

You might DIY when that GTR transmission is a $10,000 part. Or do you plan on setting the Tesla on fire the day after the warranty is up?

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/19 4:52 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Given the stores I have heard of Tesla discontinuing parts for vehicles only a couple years old, that may be wise.

The funny thing about mandatory service parts and Right To Repair, is that the goal of those is to prevent vehicles on the road from polluting within a reasonable timeframe.  And Teslas have no "tailpipe" emissions, and I assume that their evaporative emissions are strictly paint and body and some very minor lubricants evaporation... nothing that "needs" to be able to be repaired by just anybody.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/13/19 4:59 p.m.

I don't know how bad your ADD is, but the GTR isn't going to lose much value at this point. I have no idea about Tesla resale, but the whole used vs. new thing should favor the Nissan from that aspect.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
10/13/19 6:57 p.m.

V8 ND or Audi RS3/TTRS.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/13/19 8:13 p.m.

Does the gtr have carbon brakes? I seem to recall that option is very costly to replace.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/13/19 9:02 p.m.
grover said:

Does the gtr have carbon brakes? I seem to recall that option is very costly to replace.

gtr track and Nismo do. but the bog standard gtr just has 18" drilled and slotted rotors.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/14/19 9:57 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

The Tesla is a fashion statement. 

Lol, and a GTR is not?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/14/19 10:01 a.m.

I really love this comparo. Buddy and I were actually having the same discussion recently. I think I'd go Tesla, but he'd go GTR all day. 

What if you add used R8, brand new C8, and some used version of the awd 911 twin turbo variety?

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
10/14/19 10:59 a.m.

On a short track or autox, I bet the tesla wins. Every time I drive one I want one more. They’re awesome. I bet you get less display of speed type tickets as a result of the lack of noise too. 

The vette adds an interesting aspect to this shootout. 

I’d add a real nice mkiv supra to the mix too. The nice thing that the supra brings to the table is the lack of depreciation. Super reliable too, mine was bulletproof. 

japanesemonster
japanesemonster
4/30/20 7:18 a.m.

I love these conversations.  I am in the same dilemma.  I have so far looked at used GTRs, used 996TT, 997TT, R8s, PanameraTT, 718 Caymans, R33s, new C8s, new Model 3 performance, and MX5s which of course were the cheapest.  Here is the problem. It is very easy to become indecisive because there are so many options under the sun here.  I have am learning a lot from this predicament. 

Let's start with the GTR.  The car is absolutely fantastic.  Better than cars that cost 4 times as much, but when you try to find one on the used market, well, because it is a GTR, no old grandpa bought one, but instead some young kid and most of them have issues and trust me, you don't want to be the guy who finds that out months down the line.  The cost of repair is high.  I have driven one and it is problably the most exciting car on the list when you consider all things.  

Now on to the Porsches.  This is the car you get into if you want to scream money.  I mean when they were new they were about $150k and now you can get them clean for a 1/3rd of their cost.  That's impressive.  You will also find more that were not abused to high hell, not launched, tracked, dragged, etc, but appreciated and properly maintained, for the most part.  The downside is that it doesn't give you the most excitement in stock form that the GTR does and also there are more sophysticated systems at work, especially in the Panamera, so if something fails, the cost can be more because the vehicle is just more complex overall.  It's German, but at the end of the day, if you want to look like you are somebody, the Porsche is the choice.  The Cayman will save you money and still live up to the exclusivity but just be down on power in a big way.  

The R33 is legendary.  It is something I have wanted for a long time, especially when I have seen what the Australians and Japanese were doing to these cars back in the Best Motoring videos back in the day.  The platform is epic and the modding is endless, like the R35.  The problem is you will have to deal with the age of the car, the problems Nissan had back then with poor materials as many are rust buckets and you will need to throw money into it right away, I guarantee it.  No body buys an R33 and just keeps it stock or doesn't need to fix something.  If you want a project car and something that has history, and the cool right hand drive setup, then get this.

The R8 is honestly the odd one in the bunch to me.  It was always cool looking and screamed money just as much as the porsches, maybe even more because of the super/hyper car styling.  The problem is you wont be able to get the v10 most likely due to price and the v8 is a good motor but lacks power.  Modding these is like modding a lambo so be prepared to take out a second mortgage.  The car is also very complex and can be prone to having problems you just don't want to deal with.  If the price for used R8s was lowering then they would be more intriguing to me, but there are better cars on this list and as a value proposition, I think your money is better spent elsewhere.

New C8s are sick, plain and simple.  It is a poor mans super car.  It is still a respected vehicle and you don't have to make six figures to buy one NEW.  NEW goes a long way because you are getting something knowing the entire history because you are creating that history.  The most annoying thing I have experienced owning cars for the last 22 years is dealing with issues that I didn't create.  The speed is there in stock form and you will love it inside and out.  It is the logical choice because parts are readily available and affordable because it is a Chevy.  And because it is a Chevy, everyone and their mother will have one.  Do not be surprised to see soccer moms driving this car as well as their Traverses.  Since almost all cars are moving away from manual transmissions, this is going to be more of a thing.  This is the reason I have never owned a mustang, spec'd or not.  They are just at every corner you turn.  That gets old really quick and makes the car not feel as special even though it is not its fault.  These vettes are going to have the same problem.  Just look at the pre-orders and all the shady markups the stealerships are charging.  That right there is a major turn off, but it's a great car and if you wait, used C8s will save you even more money.  These will not hold or go up in value like other cars on this list.  GM just produces too many.

The MX5 is made for one thing, TRACK.  It is a great car and will make you smile from ear to ear but it is a second, even third car you should get.  It is a weekend toy and will not give you anything more than FUN.  I love this car but in the real world, I think other things need to be considered as well.

Finally, Mr. Elon Musk.  The Model 3 is the best selling car today.  If you buy this, you are getting the tech of the future and getting tremendous value.  It is money well spent.  The car will do more tasks for you than an others on this list and will save you money as well.  There are far fewer parts and up keep because there is no coolant system, exhaust system, vaccuum system, fuel system, oil system, and consumables don't have to be replaced as often like brakes for example because of regen.  Fit and finish may not be its strong point because of tooling but they have gotten much better.  The speed is incredible.  A 4000 lb vehicle that can practically run mid 11's and seat 5 with tons of storage is unheard of.  The car will be able to drive itself and do the fun stuff when you want.  The downside is they will become very common and am not sure they will hold value.  Electric cars feel like they may suffer from the same things that old tech does, becoming obsolete.  Who wants an iPhone from 3 years ago?  But the car is the best value hands down when you go down the checklist.  It lacks super car looks and having people break their necks to get a glance, but in the end, you can buy this new and know that you will drive worry free for a long time.  Also, the CEO isn't a bean counter and tends to go against the grain.  

This is just some of the stuff I have tossed around in my head when I have been considering a new toy for under $60k.  So many options, but time is money and need to pull the trigger at some point.  Let me know what you guys think.  Take care.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/30/20 7:34 a.m.

If a Tesla could sound like a GTR I might consider one.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/30/20 8:53 a.m.
preach said:

If a Tesla could sound like a GTR I might consider one.

Right?  Driving a GTR is a raucous, visceral experience.  The sound and fury is a really big part of this car's appeal.  Behind the wheel you never forget that you're driving a thoroughbred. 

The Model 3 Performance is a quiet, practical, four-door commuting appliance that has a surprising party trick--huge acceleration accompanied by lots of grip.  The driving experience 90% of the time is that of a completely normal EV sedan.  That makes it very easy to live with, but is that really what you want when you're cross-shopping cars like the GTR?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
4/30/20 9:24 a.m.

Its not like you can pt people in the back of a GTR. The real serious anser here is get a 911. You can get a really good 997 turbo PP for that money. 

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
4/30/20 9:43 a.m.

V8 ND

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/30/20 9:44 a.m.

F type R if you don't need backseats 

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
4/30/20 7:33 p.m.

Am I the only one ruminating on just how totally freaked out, how utterly mindberked, we'd be when the r34 was current.. to have someone say that when the next GTR is out, a US made electric car would be considered competition to it? Geez I'm kinda weirded out about it *now*..

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/30/20 7:49 p.m.
Jay_W said:

Am I the only one ruminating on just how totally freaked out, how utterly mindberked, we'd be when the r34 was current.. to have someone say that when the next GTR is out, a US made electric car would be considered competition to it? Geez I'm kinda weirded out about it *now*..

i mean the R35 is on its 11th model year.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
4/30/20 9:37 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

Still... I'm having a difficult time imagining this thread 10 years ago or even less than that...

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/30/20 10:21 p.m.

Between my last post and now, I’d have made 5 grand on that supra, maybe more. Just sayin lol. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aTPXfFOqg2UPJvKdtImaV1H3boRHMamhSzUXgkQ2AtfhAmezsasmAwFd8Ozxjtcv