1 2
Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/25/20 7:27 p.m.

For a place to stay, if you're interested in getting out of the polished corporate hotels, try the Catahoula. 

https://catahoulahotel.com/

On our first trip back to visit friends and family, we spent a night there, informed by us having wondered in for drinks the year prior. The lobby  has the nicest cats, and the Pisco bar serves great dumplings and drinks. You'll probably get a few free drink coupons with your room, and the mixed drinks at the bar are absolutely next level - it's no typical hotel fare.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/26/20 11:08 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:
Antihero said:
yupididit said:

Royal st also has great art, jewelry and antique places to stop by. 

That's probably right up the wife's alley, thanks!

He's understating it just a bit. Imagine shops with genuine suits of armor and other true antiquities. It's very much worth peering through the windows, but knowing my luck I'd almost certainly break something worth more than our house if I went inside.  

Woah, yeah I'm onboard with that

Antihero
2/26/20 11:09 a.m.
Mike said:

For a place to stay, if you're interested in getting out of the polished corporate hotels, try the Catahoula. 

https://catahoulahotel.com/

On our first trip back to visit friends and family, we spent a night there, informed by us having wondered in for drinks the year prior. The lobby  has the nicest cats, and the Pisco bar serves great dumplings and drinks. You'll probably get a few free drink coupons with your room, and the mixed drinks at the bar are absolutely next level - it's no typical hotel fare.

I'll look into it, thanks!

Antihero
2/26/20 11:11 a.m.

One of the things I keep reading is that parking is a nightmare, is it that bad?

Will I regret towing a rampage on a dolly with an explorer thru town?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/20 12:43 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Whenever we go to the Quarter we park in a pay surface lot just down the street from the aquarium. The lot it's self is about a city block, so depending on our itinerary will determine what side we park on. It usually runs $25-$40 for the 2-4 hours we're there. 

There's also a parking garage directly across the street, but we've not ever tried it. Some of the garages are pretty sketchy, especially after dark. 

I'll recant a story that Ovid_and_Flem told me about what not to do... He & some friends split an apartment in the Quarter & they'd schedule different weekends to use it. He took a lady friend down there on a date one weekend & was looking for an on-street spot near the apartment. He saw one, but it required him to go ~50' the wrong way down a 1-way street & do a u-turn. Of course a cop saw him, and being an attorney(with a couple drinks in him) he got into an altercation with the officer & spent the weekend in the Nola PD holding cell. 

Pete Gossett
2/26/20 12:46 p.m.

Regarding towing through town: I-10 traffic isn't horrible compared to many cities, but the surface streets absolutely suck. The potholes in Nola are no joke. I'm not sure you'll find parking anywhere near the Quarter or Uptown for them though. 

We're ~90 east of there, so it would be out of your way, but you're welcome to drop the Rampage & dolly here, then come pick it up after Nola. 

Antihero
2/26/20 1:36 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Regarding towing through town: I-10 traffic isn't horrible compared to many cities, but the surface streets absolutely suck. The potholes in Nola are no joke. I'm not sure you'll find parking anywhere near the Quarter or Uptown for them though. 

We're ~90 east of there, so it would be out of your way, but you're welcome to drop the Rampage & dolly here, then come pick it up after Nola. 

That would be great for us, I'll gladly take you up on it, thanks!

Not dragging the rampage thru streets I don't know and trying to find parking for both would help immensely. 

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
2/26/20 5:05 p.m.

There is a restaurant off the main drag called Coops. When I was down in Nola in 07, locals recommended it to me. Some of the best food I ever had.

Pete Gossett
2/26/20 5:56 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Sounds like a plan!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/26/20 6:15 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

Big NOLA fan, going back this summer again.  In no particular order.

• The Funky Pirate - If you can catch Big Al at the Funky Pirate, its worthwhile. 
  • Pat O'Brien's - Pat O's is where I usually start my evening in the Quarter, often I never make it out of the courtyard!
  • Old Absinthe House - If you like Absinthe, its worth a try. If you don't, you should try it here.
  • Bourbon Street - Like the above, the rest of Bourbon is a filthy, decadent, loud, crazy place and you should walk it slowly at least once. Keep a hand on your wallet and feel free to stare at the freaks and the drunks, just don't become one of them.
  • Cafe Du Monde - You have to go. Yes, it's touristy but the beignets are amazing and iconic, and I have never found it busy at 2am. The one in the Riverwalk is also a good option for mid-day or breakfast.
  • Port O Call - GREAT AMAZING hamburgers and baked potatoes, worth the Uber ride.
  • Antoine's - One of if not the oldest restaurant in the US, I was thrown out once. Look inside and try to picture that and laugh.
  • Galatoires, Commanders Palace, etc - Hit one of the older, classic NOLA restaurants. The food is amazing and its a thing.
  • NOLA (Emerills Place in the quarter), Dickie Brennans -If you want amazing food.
  • WWII Museum - Worth the trip, really amazing to see.
  • Cochon Butcher - A MUST for lunch, seriously, hit the WWI Museum and eat here.
  • Jacques-Imo's - Out of the way, but some of the best Cajun, Creole and seafood anywhere in NOLA
  • Tipitina's - See who's playing, always a great place to catch a show
  • Mother's - Wait in the line, or go off-peak because a Ferdi wit is worth it. SO WORTH IT
  • Cafe Amalie - If you have good weather and want to sit outside in a courtyard and have amazing food in a relaxed and romantic setting, this is the place.
  • Royal Sonesta - Dont just walk past, head in and check out the lobby.
  • Frenchman Street - head over for live music
  • Lower Quarter - Lots of great shopping on a Saturday morning

And of course, there are tons of places that have opened and closed since I was last there. Talk to some locals and try something out of the way, finding a hidden gem is part of the charm of New Orleans.

Oh man, I forgot about Big Al! I saw him in like 2008 or so. Very fun show. 

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/26/20 11:49 p.m.
Antihero said:
Pete Gossett said:

That would be great for us, I'll gladly take you up on it, thanks!

Not dragging the rampage thru streets I don't know and trying to find parking for both would help immensely. 

I have also seen pickups with trailers in pay lots with the truck left alone and the trailer booted. It does add to the complexity.

No Time
No Time Dork
2/27/20 6:08 a.m.

Depending on your tastes, you should Check out Mother's for lunch. Sandwiches and sides are big enough to share:

Debris sandwich

Antihero
2/27/20 11:35 a.m.

Glad I posted here, you guys have given me a lot to look at, thanks again.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/27/20 12:37 p.m.

French Quarter advice:

Don't walk out of the high activity areas late at night.  New Orleans has a crime problem.  The criminals are violent, no negotiation unless you are drawing down on them and are ready to meet force with force, they don't scare easily.    Keep your money separate so you can just hand it over otherwise.   

Watch out for the con artists.  "I bet I can tell you where you got your shoes".   The answer is on the street on my feet.  Not where you bought them.

For eating lunch  I like Masparo's on Decatur.   Red beans & Rice or a Muffalatta.  

Also Acme's Oyster House on Iberville for seafood.  Get the oyster or shrimp po-boy. 

For finer dining there is Mr B's, Galatoire's, Antoine's and Arnaud's.   I think they still  require at least a sport jacket or blazer in the evening.

The Royal Street and near by has some cool shops and gallery for daytime stuff.    

Parking enforcement in New Orleans is ruthless.  They love to tow cars and it takes a lot of dollars and hours dealing with the lo-lifes in parking enforcement  to get the vehicle back.     New Orleans Police have a sense of humor up to a point since it is New Orleans.  Don't cross that point because you definitely don't want an overnight stay in Parish Prison.   A weekend night arrest means waiting until Monday for court to open.   If a sign says No U Turn they really really mean it.

Antihero
2/27/20 9:53 p.m.
jharry3 said:

French Quarter advice:

Don't walk out of the high activity areas late at night.  New Orleans has a crime problem.  The criminals are violent, no negotiation unless you are drawing down on them and are ready to meet force with force, they don't scare easily.    Keep your money separate so you can just hand it over otherwise.   

Watch out for the con artists.  "I bet I can tell you where you got your shoes".   The answer is on the street on my feet.  Not where you bought them.

For eating lunch  I like Masparo's on Decatur.   Red beans & Rice or a Muffalatta.  

Also Acme's Oyster House on Iberville for seafood.  Get the oyster or shrimp po-boy. 

For finer dining there is Mr B's, Galatoire's, Antoine's and Arnaud's.   I think they still  require at least a sport jacket or blazer in the evening.

The Royal Street and near by has some cool shops and gallery for daytime stuff.    

Parking enforcement in New Orleans is ruthless.  They love to tow cars and it takes a lot of dollars and hours dealing with the lo-lifes in parking enforcement  to get the vehicle back.     New Orleans Police have a sense of humor up to a point since it is New Orleans.  Don't cross that point because you definitely don't want an overnight stay in Parish Prison.   A weekend night arrest means waiting until Monday for court to open.   If a sign says No U Turn they really really mean it.

Thanks for the advice.

As for the first bit, I can do that if need be, reciprocacy is great and I can carry if need be.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KykLFdFXK0zGNDnDAogduXgmH2cKn24iNXXklhi2VKo3QcSghfpJ7qWccCDfSlct