1 2
KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
9/12/18 10:41 p.m.

So this big sweety showed up at my hospital today.  He a blue pit, about a year old, intact (for now), and an absolute cuddle monster of a dog.  Got him scanned for a chip: nothing.  And his picture has been shared on social media platforms.  But for the time being (and I suspect permanently) he’s our new pet.

So help me out with a name.  Apex, Pax, Tank, Boozer, Weller, Rev.......Something cool and short.  Something related to cars, autocross, bourbon.....or something else.  My other dog is named Karma so it ought to compliment that at least a bit.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/12/18 11:19 p.m.

Greg

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
9/12/18 11:52 p.m.

Ghia.  Karma n' Ghia.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/12/18 11:55 p.m.

I might be a touch biased, but I like Rev. Redline could work if he's a runner. 

It's not so short, but Conehead could be fitting.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/13/18 2:39 a.m.

High Ball 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/13/18 4:50 a.m.

Smokey

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
9/13/18 4:55 a.m.

Wrecks (pronounced rex)

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
9/13/18 5:13 a.m.

That looks A LOT like my Cane Corso, down to the white patch on the chest and paws. They get mistaken for Pits a lot, but they're usually taller and have a very unique personality. Highly desirable dog that's usually pretty expensive. How big is the dog?

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/13/18 5:13 a.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

Smokey

Along these lines you could also go with "Fred" or "Cletus". 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
9/13/18 5:32 a.m.

Duke

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/13/18 5:33 a.m.

Cooper. (Bourbon barrels)

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
9/13/18 6:12 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

He’s not terribly tall, but very thick.  Probably around 70 lbs but I can tell he’s about 10 lbs underweight right now.  His look is a bit closer to mastiff than classic pit.  Cane Corso is certainly a possibility.

edit: after looking at pics and videos, this guy is “looser” in skin and skeleton than they describe the breed.  And thankfully he’s a dry mouth dog!  I had a boxer once and not getting strings of drool everywhere is a very nice thing.

So far he’s gotten along great with my dog but seems to think the cats are fun to chase (we’ll have to work on that).  Those ladies have been here longer and will be respected like the gentry they are.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
9/13/18 6:28 a.m.

Cruz(er) because if I had two of these the other one (female) would be named ChaCha.

The ones ' that just show up are usually the BEST.....awesome boy!!!

ThurdFerguson
ThurdFerguson New Reader
9/13/18 7:26 a.m.

I'd call him Turd.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
9/13/18 7:54 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

That pic has done nothing to convince me that it's not a Corso, although hes definitely a bit small at that size. If he gets to a healthier weight, he'd be built a lot like mine. My pup is a 2 year old female and is a little undersized at 85lbs and maybe 23 inches tall at the shoulder. She's got papers, and I saw the parents and the rest of the litter, so she's legit, but she's built just like your new addition, and she has smaller jowels than many Corsos, which leads to a drier mouth. I'll try and grab a pic later to compare.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/13/18 8:49 a.m.

Burt 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/13/18 9:05 a.m.
STM317 said:

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

That pic has done nothing to convince me that it's not a Corso, although hes definitely a bit small at that size. If he gets to a healthier weight, he'd be built a lot like mine. My pup is a 2 year old female and is a little undersized at 85lbs and maybe 23 inches tall at the shoulder. She's got papers, and I saw the parents and the rest of the litter, so she's legit, but she's built just like your new addition, and she has smaller jowels than many Corsos, which leads to a drier mouth. I'll try and grab a pic later to compare.

From the AKC web site. His pic doesn't look like this to me, but I'm no dog expert either. 

It looks like a less "yoked" version of the lab/pit mix we got from the pound last year. Ours has the same white patch on the chest, feet, but also on her face as well.

I like cap's suggestion of High Ball..............perhaps Tom Collins?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
9/13/18 10:34 a.m.

Teator

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
9/13/18 10:41 a.m.

Bandit

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/13/18 11:10 a.m.

Piston

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/13/18 11:16 a.m.

Bullitt

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/13/18 11:28 a.m.

McQueen

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
9/13/18 7:15 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

It's a very old breed that goes back to at least Ancient Rome. At one point in the 20th century they were nearly extinct, and almost non existent in North America. Many people speculate that when some dogs were brought to the US, they were bred with breeds like Boxers or Pits, while the oldest Italian blood lines tend to retain a more traditional Mastiff appearance. The theory is, that as a result, you get dogs within the same breed that can have a wide range of appearances. All I know is that They can look very different. The one in your pic is brindle, and has had it's ears cropped. That's very common, but really changes the appearance of the dog too.

Here's my 'very good girl' for comparison:

Cooter
Cooter Dork
9/13/18 7:21 p.m.

Stay

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/18 9:51 p.m.

Careful, they think they are lap dogs.  (Cole approves of your adoption BTW) 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dTPL4TquqI6Yo6m7Xn23zEQpfNHVVwyPVMRSglPyKqLBj8dpKlxkrrkxuK5okTok