Strathclyde
Strathclyde New Reader
7/24/08 9:14 p.m.

Thinking about a new car. Has to be a 4-door, manual, get decent mpg, and be as cheap as possible. Fun, too.

We drove the Astra tonight. It's OK; a bit underpowered, but gets better mpg. Controls are, like Consumer Reports says, a bit odd, but I've had Saabs, man. I think you know what I'm talking about.

The interior had a nice quality feel to it, but the sheetmetal seemed tinny and not as nicely finished (poor-quality paint finish in the hatch area jambs) as the VWs. It gives me doubts it would hold up over say, 15 years, which is the longevity we'd demand from any NEW car. Anyone have first-hand experience living with a new Astra?

I like the Rabbit much better. Obviously, 180 bhp beats the Astra's 134 or whatever it is. Little details that feel cheap or poorly finished can really diminish one's satisfaction over time, I think. If I'm keeping a new car 15 years, I'd better be danged happy with it. Is putting up with the cheapness (it's not less expensive) and lack of power worth the 2 or 3 extra mpg?

Any opinions? I think I've already talked myself into a VW, but the Astra's kinda cool and gets better fuel economy.

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
7/24/08 9:21 p.m.

I hear it gets pretty poor MPG considering it's a "small" car, and not super-fast.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
7/24/08 9:37 p.m.

I have the Jetta and if you like to drive it will punish your mpg's. On the other hand, the interior feel and ergonomics are top rate for the price. I'd say its more in the league of an Acura TSX than an economy car, assuming you don't get cloth seats.Awesome climate control, too.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
7/24/08 11:15 p.m.

I hear those new GTIs and Rabbits are getting a ton of complaints from interior squeaks and rattles strait from the factory.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
7/25/08 6:10 a.m.

I'd buy the diesel Jetta if I were you, when that comes out. The sportwagon looks like a hoot.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/08 6:21 a.m.
MitchellC wrote: I hear it gets pretty poor MPG considering it's a "small" car, and not super-fast.

The stick cars are rather fun. I still say the engine belongs in a tractor not a car but the torque curve is dead flat and they are great handling BIG compacts.

You forget the Rabbit is basically a hatchback Jetta. It is not a small car, it just happens to be billed as one. Since the new EPA equations it is listed at 29mpg but customers consistently get 32-34 without anything other than restaint and air pressure.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/08 6:28 a.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: I hear those new GTIs and Rabbits are getting a ton of complaints from interior squeaks and rattles strait from the factory.

Rattles are a plague with Passats. I keep hearing about VIN plates rattling but haven't actually seen one yet.

The speakers are crap and start buzzing as soon as the ink is signed on the contract.

Other than that I only see Rabbits every 5K miles.

The best looking and handling car VW has is also heavier than it needs to be and has a useless automatic top and is completely a nightmare. I would love to do removeable hardtop conversions on these:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
odW1CmqAKrdw2Cror7m2yZ8Buk5tVwJOK1Z8X3gnWp9vRMNZqknnHLKlyTgrv3OX